Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I wasn't expecting to be accepted this early (took 2 days), I think I'm just going to wait until my ETF goes down to $100 instead of the $180 it's at right now before I make my move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Mr. Crow posted:

My 6P comes in Friday :woop:! I'm looking for a case, is the ADOPTED case through the google store any good? What are some other recommendations?

Glass of Milk recommends this case. I have it and it's pretty sweet. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ilpage_o00_s01.

Animale posted:

I wasn't expecting to be accepted this early (took 2 days), I think I'm just going to wait until my ETF goes down to $100 instead of the $180 it's at right now before I make my move.

Honestly depending on how often you are in range of wifi and how much data you use you might save money buying the ETF out... For me.. I paid 140 dollar ETF and I will actually pay that ETF off in 2 months of savings.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Mr. Crow posted:

My 6P comes in Friday :woop:! I'm looking for a case, is the ADOPTED case through the google store any good? What are some other recommendations?

It's pretty plain looking but I've dropped it a couple times and my phones no worse for wear.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Does anyone have Fi in NYC? I'm on contract with Sprint with a discount that has me paying $80 a month. I just got a Fi invite and I'm thinking of paying the ETF and making the jump but want to know if the coverage in NYC is good enough to make it worth doing.

I've been on Fi in NYC for a couple of weeks now and also came from Sprint. Works great, and should be equal to or better than Sprint service anywhere seeing as it's a combination of TMobile and Sprint. That said it seems like it spends most of its time on TMobile, which is for the best since Sprints 4g network is kind of wonky in Manhattan. I used to have serious issues with my old Droid charge and GS4 constantly switching between LTE and 3g on VZW and Sprint, respectively. It would decide that 1bar of an LTE tower was way better, switch networks, a pigeon would fly by and it would switch back, each time disconnecting you for 20 seconds. Fi has had none of that, although it's probably just a software thing with the modems.

I'm on WiFi at work/home but Fi works fine at the major subway stations (although those have WiFi anyway) and at the usual spots where you'd get moments of service via a vent in the ceiling or whatever, and everywhere on the street and in restaurants/bars. The one issue I've had is that if you're mid call and walk within range of a remembered WiFi network that requires web authentication or whatever (transit WiFi) you'll sometimes lose outgoing audio on the call as it tries to migrate to the WiFi. Which is fine because Sprint would have just disconnected anyway.

Caveat: I live and work in Manhattan and haven't left the island since I switched. Heading out to the suburbs for thanksgiving so we'll see how it works out there, but Sprint alone was fine so I don't see it being an issue. Overall Fi is the best mobile service I've had, and the cheapest.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
I finally almost hit 3g service yesterday downtown Fort Worth in a Bar, but an open wifi network was available.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I got my invite in my email yesterday, but I won't be off my Sprint contract for a few more months. What happens if I accept the invite now?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Near as I can tell, they send you the SIM Card, and you have to remember where you put it when you finally decide to activate the service. Other than that, nothing else changes until you activate.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

So I got my invite in my email yesterday, but I won't be off my Sprint contract for a few more months. What happens if I accept the invite now?

You pay the ETF at sprint and start saving money and experiencing good service. Also, you have a compatible phone. Officially only the Nexus 6, 5x, and 6p are compatible.

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.
Anyone else get the Lego styled phone stand for being a Fi user?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

morrisirrom posted:

Anyone else get the Lego styled phone stand for being a Fi user?

Not yet but apparently if you activated prior to November 19th you'll get one. Looks pretty neat.

This link has eligibility details: https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6326260?hl=en

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Ixian posted:

Not yet but apparently if you activated prior to November 19th you'll get one. Looks pretty neat.

This link has eligibility details: https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6326260?hl=en

If we're eligible, do we have to actually sign up?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Barracuda Bang! posted:

If we're eligible, do we have to actually sign up?

No, link says you'll just get one if you have an active account and are otherwise eligible. They are shipping them up through the 24th of December so it may take a while.

Also goes to the address of record on your Fi account so make sure that is correct (same one you gave for 911 info, etc.)

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Ixian posted:

No, link says you'll just get one if you have an active account and are otherwise eligible. They are shipping them up through the 24th of December so it may take a while.

Also goes to the address of record on your Fi account so make sure that is correct (same one you gave for 911 info, etc.)

Oh cool, thanks.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

maltesh posted:

Near as I can tell, they send you the SIM Card, and you have to remember where you put it when you finally decide to activate the service. Other than that, nothing else changes until you activate.

Thank you, if that is the case then this answer helps. I'm on contract until July 2016 (although my ETF drops to the minimum of $100 in February), however my parents' contract with Sprint is up in January, and I'd love to guide them into making this switch.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Thank you, if that is the case then this answer helps. I'm on contract until July 2016 (although my ETF drops to the minimum of $100 in February), however my parents' contract with Sprint is up in January, and I'd love to guide them into making this switch.

Interesting you say that about your parents, I checked my mother's usage the other day and she uses like .4 GB a month. She pays 68 dollars. She could probably get away with paying google 40. I'm tempted to buy her a 5X and get this started.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How are payments made? Is a Google Pay account required for the monthly plan or just if you buy a phone with monthly payments?

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 28, 2015

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

How are payments made? Is a Google Pay account required for the monthly plan or just if you buy a phone with monthly payments?

No you give them your debit card or checking account info and they automatically deduct your payment the first day of the billing cycle.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Darkpriest667 posted:

Interesting you say that about your parents, I checked my mother's usage the other day and she uses like .4 GB a month. She pays 68 dollars. She could probably get away with paying google 40. I'm tempted to buy her a 5X and get this started.

If that is her usage she'd probably end up paying even less than that, the way Fi works.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Darkpriest667 posted:

No you give them your debit card or checking account info and they automatically deduct your payment the first day of the billing cycle.

You can also use a credit card to earn sweet sweet rewards points.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Darkpriest667 posted:

For the plan? OK cool.

For the device, if paying monthly:

quote:

You must have a Google Payments account. You must maintain a Google Payments account and use it to make payments for the Device. Google Payments account is free to set up and if you do not have one you will be directed to Google Payments before you can check out. Your use of Google Payments is subject to the Google Payments Terms of Service.

From the Pay Monthly Device Plan Terms and Conditions

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

For the plan? OK cool.

For the device, if paying monthly:

From the Pay Monthly Device Plan Terms and Conditions

Good to know I had no idea, I didn't even know they had a monthly option.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Trying to find information on what specific bands fi uses, but I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Try looking up the ones Sprint and T-Mobile use? That's at least a good start, not sure if Fi ignores any of them.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Wizard of Smart posted:

Trying to find information on what specific bands fi uses, but I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

You could try contacting Fi support. They're pretty helpful. Someone could probably get you that information from there. I also tried finding that info out last night but couldn't find it, I am guessing it uses all the bands that T-mobile and Sprint use and also a few overseas as it works in 149 countries.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
It also works on Verizon and AT&T, so it's on all the bands.

I ended up picking up a 5X from Amazon since I have a Chase Freedom, whattup extra 10% off. Pretty sure it's going to be worse than my One M8 but whatever, it's what I can afford at the moment.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Animale posted:

It also works on Verizon and AT&T, so it's on all the bands.

I ended up picking up a 5X from Amazon since I have a Chase Freedom, whattup extra 10% off. Pretty sure it's going to be worse than my One M8 but whatever, it's what I can afford at the moment.

The camera will be an improvement if nothing else. I went from an M8 to the 6P.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
On my 5x I finally used the headphone jack. It is quite mushy with no click into the jack. Has anyone else noticed this?

On Fi; I paid about $27 last month, down from the same data usage at about $80 a year back. I have been quite satisfied.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Chaotic Flame posted:

The camera will be an improvement if nothing else. I went from an M8 to the 6P.

The camera in the 6p is much better than the one in the 5x FYI.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ixian posted:

I mostly meant the M8 camera is complete rear end.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The 5x 32gb is $349 at google store now. I think I'm going to do it. I've never dropped that many clams on a phone before :ohdear:

I'm coming off of a Samsung Alias 2, a flip phone from 2009. I'm a living anachronism buying my first smartphone in 2015. I'm under 30, and work for a top 10 technology company :haw:

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Ixian posted:

They're the same camera but the 6P is a bit more powerful so it has additional features.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Kinda pissed they dropped the price $80 on the 5x so soon. I would have waited had I known that was coming. Maybe it is a result of poor sales? Is it worth calling Google and requesting a retroactive price adjustment?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I thought it was just a Black Friday thing. Guess we'll know tomorrow

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Well, I had the exact same experience as Braksgirl. I tried porting my number from AT&T (she tried from Google Voice), and it would not work unless we gave them a fake service address. I think the USPS database that a lot of companies use no longer recognizes our address as a valid one. So, we gave them a fake address, and pretty much 3 minutes later, my transfer from AT&T was complete.

They're looking into it now because I'd rather actually have my real service address than a fake one, but we'll see what happens.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Kinda pissed they dropped the price $80 on the 5x so soon. I would have waited had I known that was coming. Maybe it is a result of poor sales? Is it worth calling Google and requesting a retroactive price adjustment?

I'm in the same boat - it's now $50 less than when I bought mine a month ago (after all the sales). I called Google and was told they couldn't give me a price adjustment but I could return my phone and reorder. I'm not sure it's worth the hassle...

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Of course I switch to Fi right before starting a job that doesn't allow personal devices to connect to wifi. :suicide:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I activated on November 13th so I am about halfway through my first building cycle.

First I really dig the 6p, prolly the best phone I've owned since my first nexus back in 2011.

The service itself has been fairly solid. I'm in a major metropolitan area so I haven't had many gaps for the most part. When I was driving down 95 for the holidays I did get into 3g at a few highway stops and a number of dead zones back in my hometown. And so far out of my 2gig data plan I have used about ..3 gb so far so I figure I've got a pretty substantial credit coming my way.

Only complaint is that they don't let you schedule the date for automatic billing.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I ordered my 6p on November 10 and it was supposed to be shipped out yesterday (and delivered today), but there's no information on tracking other than the label has been created. Just an FYI for anyone who ordered around the same time. Looks like the phone is getting here about two weeks earlier than scheduled.

Also wanted to say thanks again to everyone who gave tips or advice about my girlfriend's 5x's battery issues. After a factory reset, we tried it for a couple of days with the stock apps and it lasted about 48 hours on one charge, compared to the ~12 hours she was getting before. Not sure what the issue was, but it seems to be resolved. She got a package in the mail from Google yesterday with Fi-branded not-Legos to build a charging stand. Also came with a USB-C to USB-A cable. Not sure if everyone is getting them or if they're just randomly picking people, but it was a pretty cool gesture and we had a lot of fun building it last night.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I got my Lego thing... It's actually a package of Lego bricks and instructions to make a phone stand or cable organizer.

I've had no complaints with service on my 6p, but my wife has had weirdness at home with WiFi calling on her 5x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Ordered my Google Fi Nexus 6p on 11/27, FedEx managed to get it to me today which really impressed me considering the estimated date was another 1-2 weeks out. Really impressed by this phone so far, my Moto G(2014) already feels like a toy in comparison. It's amazing how easy google has made it to sync everything across devices these days, it took me less than ten minutes to get everything setup and working. Signal seems acceptable as well...not quite as good as what I had at home with AT&T but with wifi calling it doesn't need to be and I'm paying $20 a month less anyway.