Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Zeron posted:

Ordered my Google Fi Nexus 6p on 11/27, FedEx managed to get it to me today which really impressed me considering the estimated date was another 1-2 weeks out. Really impressed by this phone so far, my Moto G(2014) already feels like a toy in comparison. It's amazing how easy google has made it to sync everything across devices these days, it took me less than ten minutes to get everything setup and working. Signal seems acceptable as well...not quite as good as what I had at home with AT&T but with wifi calling it doesn't need to be and I'm paying $20 a month less anyway.

I came over from AT&T as well and unless you are a complete mobile data hound you are probably going to find you are saving a lot more than $20 a month. You get credit for data you don't use - in the form of not paying as much, not "rollover" data.

Since late July I've taken my N6, now 6p, on two trips to Europe and one to Japan in addition to daily home use and my bills are half of the regular "domestic" AT&T rate - never mind what I used to have to pay for temporary international data. I'm not even sure how this service exists. I mean, I knew the big carriers like AT&T were overcharging like motherfuckers but drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm dropping republic wireless for google fi and it was really easy to move over. The number port took about 15 minutes. Updating this nexus 6 from the shipped version of lollipop to marshmallow on the other hand is taking hours. Fi is about $5 more per month but I don't have to rely on the provider for android updates and so far it's been a better experience. I basically needed a service with wifi calling and wanted a nexus phone so I guess I'm set now.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ixian posted:

I came over from AT&T as well and unless you are a complete mobile data hound you are probably going to find you are saving a lot more than $20 a month. You get credit for data you don't use - in the form of not paying as much, not "rollover" data.

Since late July I've taken my N6, now 6p, on two trips to Europe and one to Japan in addition to daily home use and my bills are half of the regular "domestic" AT&T rate - never mind what I used to have to pay for temporary international data. I'm not even sure how this service exists. I mean, I knew the big carriers like AT&T were overcharging like motherfuckers but drat.

I know, it's ridiculous to realize that I am going to pay 30 dollars this month for data and unlimited texting and calling. The Telecom giants are an oligopoly and this proves it. Look how much cheaper a real competitor is.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am very happy with Fi, but I do not get the sense that Google want to compete long term in this market. They seem to want to spur further innovation and develop their tech on us early adopters, but I am not sure what their plan for scaling is. The users of Fi are likely a rounding error on the books of the big players, and as soon as that changes then what?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I am very happy with Fi, but I do not get the sense that Google want to compete long term in this market. They seem to want to spur further innovation and develop their tech on us early adopters, but I am not sure what their plan for scaling is. The users of Fi are likely a rounding error on the books of the big players, and as soon as that changes then what?

Certainly they aren't trying to make a buck off Fi itself. I suspect their plans are much grander - they have 3 devices now that can seemlessly switch between different cell phone providers and WiFi. Clearly they are gunning for carrier independence, something that ironically they are able to do with wireless providers that they can't do (in the US) with wired/home internet.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

I think it's more than a rounding error. Everyone I've talked to about it seems to either be interested or already signing up.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
You may be right, that is speculation on my end. To be more succinct: What do we think is google's desired endgame with regards to Fi?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

You may be right, that is speculation on my end. To be more succinct: What do we think is google's desired endgame with regards to Fi?

Ixian posted:

Certainly they aren't trying to make a buck off Fi itself. I suspect their plans are much grander - they have 3 devices now that can seemlessly switch between different cell phone providers and WiFi. Clearly they are gunning for carrier independence, something that ironically they are able to do with wireless providers that they can't do (in the US) with wired/home internet.

To me, Fi is in much the same spirit as Google Fiber, just taking a different path. When you have a multi-billion dollar company with ambitions to match and it is 100% dependent on internet service that is delivered by other companies you're going to both pay attention to how internet is delivered and want to have a say in it.

With Fiber, they aren't trying to take over the market so much as goose it in the direction they think it should go. Look what happens every time they announce a new fiber city - they don't even have to start building the thing before the incumbents run around arms flapping. That was certainly the case in Austin, where I live - AT&T first gave them a bunch of regulatory poo poo, then ended up deploying their own Gigabit service.

Fiber however is an easier problem for a company like Google, since there is a ton of unlit (dark) fiber still in the ground and they are able to use right of ways on many utility poles, etc. You can't just jump in the cellular game the same way, not with how spectrum is doled out in the US.

So, enter Fi. Take the MNVO approach but do it with two carriers, not one, and throw in WiFi. Is it going to be huge/take over the market? No, but it may well get others thinking about it, and it may prove to carriers that it's a business model that can co-exist.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Huh. I'd noticed today that I was going from LTE full coverage to absolutely no signal at all alarmingly fast, in places that made no real sense. Lo and behold, without saying a word I just got an email that I got a defective SIM card and they're mailing me a new one and giving me a $25 credit. That's...pretty insanely good customer service, if a little much.

I am absolutely loving the fingerprint scanner on my 6p as well, it recognizes my fingerprint from any angle and seems ridiculously accurate as well. I've never really wanted one before, but now I want one for my computer..car...anything else I can think of.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I got the Lego kit (along with the USB Type-C to A cable) in the mail today. Thanks Google!

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I do a lot of international travel for work and, after being iphone only since basically my last dumbphone, am going to take the plunge with android to try out Fi. What is the best going deal on the 6p? Just ordering it direct from Huwaei to save on tax? There don't seem to be any sales anywhere.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

greasyhands posted:

I do a lot of international travel for work and, after being iphone only since basically my last dumbphone, am going to take the plunge with android to try out Fi. What is the best going deal on the 6p? Just ordering it direct from Huwaei to save on tax? There don't seem to be any sales anywhere.

Yes that is about as cheap as you'll get it (list price no sales tax), though if you order it from the Fi store (which is not the regular Google Play store, though they look the same) you'll get it with the Fi sim card. Otherwise you'll need to order the sim kit (which will be an option when you sign up for Fi). Also most peoples experience in this thread, including my own, is that Google will ship faster, generally much faster than their ordering system tells you.

The 5x has had some pretty massive sales recently but not the 6p, which probably means it is selling just fine. Which it should because it is an awesome phone.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
I live in San Francisco and last week tried calling a number from my desk (Nexus 6p) at work only to find an automated "The code or number you have dialed is incorrect. Please check and try again." No matter which number I called. I googled around and found other Fi users with my same issue. Turns out there's a secret dialer code you can put into your phone to force it to connect to one type of tower:

code:
* # * # 34866 # * # *   <-- Force to T-Mobile only
* # * # 34777 # * # *   <-- Force to Sprint only
* # * # 34886 # * # *   <-- Autoswitching
I can make calls fine from a T-Mobile tower, Sprint does the automated message thing. Very strange. 2 days later I got an email from Project Fi informing me that I was one of a number of customers that received a lovely SIM that has problems using "the full Fi network" and I'd be receiving a new SIM in the mail and a $25 credit for my trouble. Nice save, Google.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My Fi has been weird today. I am told when people dial my phone it rings a few times then makes a weird tone and disconnects. I get a voicemail with no content. I have received several of these today. I restarted so hopefully it will go away.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
I wonder how many Sprint customers defected to Fi. It would be interesting to know.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Darkpriest667 posted:

I wonder how many Sprint customers defected to Fi. It would be interesting to know.

Considering it's an invite-only niche service with a waiting list up to 90 days long and only available in select areas....I am guessing drat few. Like, Sprint wouldn't even notice it as a rounding error few.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ixian posted:

Considering it's an invite-only niche service with a waiting list up to 90 days long and only available in select areas....I am guessing drat few. Like, Sprint wouldn't even notice it as a rounding error few.

I thought this month it was no longer invite only.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ixian posted:

I just switched from Sprint and requested and got an invite within two days. Had the phone two days later.

Confidently Queer
Apr 14, 2003

i am the luckiest shitheap in fyad.

Chaotic Flame posted:

I just switched from Sprint and requested and got an invite within two days. Had the phone two days later.

Same here, ditched my SERO account that I had since the 90's and could be happier.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Glad to hear they are opening it up, I like Fi too much for it to be tanked by Google a couple years in.

Still probably a rounding error for Sprint. Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted if it found widespread success and influenced other carriers to stop being such ridiculous asshats about data and international usage. Fi (and T-Mobile, others) have proven you can make money without gouging your customers (looking at you AT&T).

Ixian fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 6, 2015

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ixian posted:

Glad to hear they are opening it up, I like Fi too much for it to be tanked by Google a couple years in.

Still probably a rounding error for Sprint. Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted if it found widespread success and influenced other carriers to stop being such ridiculous asshats about data and international usage. Fi (and T-Mobile, others) have proven you can make money without gouging your customers (looking at you AT&T).

Oh I think Verizon is no better, but yes ATT is the devil in all telecom functions.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Darkpriest667 posted:

I thought this month it was no longer invite only.

I'm not sure if it's related to the month, but after I went to request an invite it said "you are from a select group that's pre-approved and can join immediately" or somesuch, it's not a direct quote but that was the gist of it. It seems unlikely that they'd randomly pre-approve gmail users so it's more likely that invitations are a formality.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Fi NYC update.

Verizon is better but Fi is fine. The sprint network is pretty terrible. I'd def switch to Fi from Verizon, its cheaper, you only lose coverage in small areas, and wifi everything is great. My apartment is a faraday cage and I cannot get any cell reception (any carrier) but now with wifi calling I can make phone calls without sitting by the window.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Another Fi NYC update

Finished my first month and got my first bill summary. Verizon might have the best coverage but on Fi I've noticed no coverage or speed issues at all, no dropped calls, no missed texts, and even got a rebate on my bill for unused data. Brand spankin' new phone AND $30 less than my Verizon bills? I'm a fan.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Has anyone had a problem with their phones Auto-brightness setting being way too dim?

Just started on me this morning and I can't figure out why.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I really want to switch to Project Fi but I am worried since I live in rural GA (Ludowici to be exact) that my coverage will be horrible. T-Mobile says I will get 4g in my location but Project Fi says 2g. Since Comcast finally laid the lines in my area I have been using very little data on my Verizon UDP line (I think I was under 3gb and the only reason it was that high was I forgot to connect to my wifi at the house)

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Sirbloody posted:

I really want to switch to Project Fi but I am worried since I live in rural GA (Ludowici to be exact) that my coverage will be horrible. T-Mobile says I will get 4g in my location but Project Fi says 2g. Since Comcast finally laid the lines in my area I have been using very little data on my Verizon UDP line (I think I was under 3gb and the only reason it was that high was I forgot to connect to my wifi at the house)

Hmmm If you had the phone (Nexus 5x 6 or 6P) you could just order a sim and give it a shot for a month on a dummy # and then if you like what you have you could switch.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Sirbloody posted:

If your current Verizon phone has a Nano (not Micro) sim - I am assuming you are still using Verizon - you can use it easily in a 5x or 6p (or a 6 for that matter). As long as you already have an active account you literally can just swap it in and out i.e. if you end up wanting to stay with Verizon or want to do side-by-side comparisons you can.

That way, as Darkpriest667 points out, you can just try Fi out. The Fi sim kit is free with the service and the service has no contract terms at all. And the 6p is a fantastic phone no matter what you use it on (some people feel the same about the 5x but I would go with the 6p) - it will work on your Verizon account.

If your current phone doesn't have a Nano sim or you let your Verizon account lapse you could be in for some work, because while the 5x and 6p work perfectly fine on Verizon, they haven't "certified" them yet, meaning new activations are a pain in the rear end. This includes swapping a Micro sim for a Nano sim (also, if you go that route, obviously the new sim won't work in your old phone, but as mentioned the new phone is a good idea anyway).

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

Ixian posted:

If your current Verizon phone has a Nano (not Micro) sim - I am assuming you are still using Verizon - you can use it easily in a 5x or 6p (or a 6 for that matter). As long as you already have an active account you literally can just swap it in and out i.e. if you end up wanting to stay with Verizon or want to do side-by-side comparisons you can.

That way, as Darkpriest667 points out, you can just try Fi out. The Fi sim kit is free with the service and the service has no contract terms at all. And the 6p is a fantastic phone no matter what you use it on (some people feel the same about the 5x but I would go with the 6p) - it will work on your Verizon account.

If your current phone doesn't have a Nano sim or you let your Verizon account lapse you could be in for some work, because while the 5x and 6p work perfectly fine on Verizon, they haven't "certified" them yet, meaning new activations are a pain in the rear end. This includes swapping a Micro sim for a Nano sim (also, if you go that route, obviously the new sim won't work in your old phone, but as mentioned the new phone is a good idea anyway).

If I only had a Nexus phone (I am using a Droid Turbo). I know Straight Talk works really well in my area (I moved my wife's UDP line to it since she never uses data, but she has a S6) but for me to even test the Project Fi would be a pretty big investment (None of my friends/coworkers have a Nexus phone).

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Sirbloody posted:

If I only had a Nexus phone (I am using a Droid Turbo). I know Straight Talk works really well in my area (I moved my wife's UDP line to it since she never uses data, but she has a S6) but for me to even test the Project Fi would be a pretty big investment (None of my friends/coworkers have a Nexus phone).

Right, but my point is you will need a Nexus phone anyway, there's no way around that, and they work just fine on Verizon too, and they are great phones (well, the 6p is) so you're not really losing here.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My workplace is a huge factory that is built like a concrete and steel bunker. Cell service doesn't work well here for anyone, even Verizon that works fantastic in other parts of the city.
Most can only get cell service by standing by the windows, unless you have Sprint. Our corp phones use Sprint, and we have hardware installed that gives a great Sprint signal across the buildings.
I got the Fi email about a crappy SIM. My Fi phone gets no reception in the "Sprint only" zones of the building. I wonder if the new SIM is addressing that I'm not connecting to Sprint?

Either way, I'm happy to get a $25 credit. First month free!

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Got my Fi holiday gift yesterday: legos and an extra USB A-C cable.

The recommended Lego phone stand design seems a little flimsy for something as big as the 6P. I don't think Google will break into the plastic block business anytime soon.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I Googled around for other designs for the Legos and through Reddit I stumbled across this: http://imgur.com/a/bSpK6

I added some extra pieces to the top and snapped the remaining pieces to the bottom of the inside, so I don't have any stray pieces about. Fits the 5X very nicely.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The default stand configuration is OK for the 6p but it doesn't work well in landscape or with the cable.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Anyone having an issue receiving texts from short code numbers? I have been having quite an issue with it and still back and forth with support over it.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Darkpriest667 posted:

Anyone having an issue receiving texts from short code numbers? I have been having quite an issue with it and still back and forth with support over it.

I was just going to post about this myself. I'm having the same problem.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Darkpriest667 posted:

I've only tried Steam/Google, but they work fine for me.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Darkpriest667 posted:

I haven't had issues receiving shortcode messages from Mint, Citizens Bank, Paypal, USPS, or that VerifyPhoneSMS service that Yahoo and Steam use.

For what it's worth, I'm using Hangouts as the default SMS app on Nexus 6P

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Alright well I will let you folks know what happens with it. I'm gonna be busy until like 8pm tonight but when I get home I'll send them the bug reports they're requesting. Hopefully this gets sorted. It's apparently a known issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009
On the issue of SMS, has anyone had an issue where you get only the last part of a text, and the start has been replaced with this character: Ԁ ?

I've had it from a few different folks, all on Verizon and all on iPhones. So far support has wanted to blame iMessage, but I explained (1) I previously received texts from all of them on android before switching to Fi with no such issue (2) iphones don't use iMessage to text non-iphones. It happens using 'messenger' or 'hangouts' for me. The sender sees no problem.