Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Awesome, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

St_Ides posted:

Works fine anywhere in Canada. I used to used it instead of a Canadian phone plan and I lived out east

Did you have any issues with them getting funny about using their service primarily not in the US? We just got it and I'll be splitting my time between Seattle and Vancouver.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

Did you have any issues with them getting funny about using their service primarily not in the US? We just got it and I'll be splitting my time between Seattle and Vancouver.

I used it for almost a year as my primary plan, with few trips to the US. The only time it became an issue was when it was being used only as for data with no trips to the us for a long time (COVID). Then they cut off her data roaming, but should that happen they'll reinstate it after a length of time in the us.

You're not likely to have any problems.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

As of iOS 16.4, Google Fi is now able to use 5G on an iPhone.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Finally

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How is the iPhone experience on Fi at this point? Everything working as it should?

My Pixel 4 XL died so I dusted off my old Pixel 3 and am considering what phone to go with next. I haven't had an Apple product since the original iPod.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

There's a good chance I'll be moving (back) to Canada this fall, for one year. I'll ask in the Canadian cell thread too, but am I better off just roaming for a year, than trying to get a new plan with a :canada: carrier?

If the latter is better and I want to preserve my US number, should I just port it to Google Fi and then forward it to my Canadian number?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I can say I am an American currently in Canada with Fi and my service has been flawless. Not sure how long you could use service until they might kick you off, but IIRC a Canadian posted itt saying they used Fi for their main service in Canada

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
My kids both have Fi on their iPhones and they work well. One is even in Germany now with the Unlimited Plus!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
We are currently overseas in Latvia for a few months that could turn into longer. Currently we're on unlimited plus and I never thought about if they could kick us off eventually if we were outside of the US for too long?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

How is the iPhone experience on Fi at this point? Everything working as it should?

My Pixel 4 XL died so I dusted off my old Pixel 3 and am considering what phone to go with next. I haven't had an Apple product since the original iPod.

I’m using the iPhone 14 Pro Max on Fi and it works perfect for me. 5G works now but there’s still no visual voicemail in the Phone app and you must use Fi’s app bit other than that, it works fine.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Fhqwhgads posted:

We are currently overseas in Latvia for a few months that could turn into longer. Currently we're on unlimited plus and I never thought about if they could kick us off eventually if we were outside of the US for too long?

They do cut you off after a month or so nowadays. The reddit is full of people finding this out overseas.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm on a shared family plan with different members overseas for multiple months at a time with data-only SIMs, but Google doesn't seem to complain much so long as you have at least one person using data in the US. Your mileage may vary of course.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hmmm, looks like I'll have to port my Fi number to Google Voice, then forward that to my work (Zoom Phone) number which will still be US-based.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Well poo poo, time to start looking up Latvian cell providers.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I’m using the iPhone 14 Pro Max on Fi and it works perfect for me. 5G works now but there’s still no visual voicemail in the Phone app and you must use Fi’s app bit other than that, it works fine.

Thanks!

I know it's subject to a lot but what kind of speeds are you seeing on Fi 5G?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

If I have Fi right now using a physical SIM, is it possible to change my account to an E-SIM so I can use my physical SIM slot for another provider?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Fhqwhgads posted:

If I have Fi right now using a physical SIM, is it possible to change my account to an E-SIM so I can use my physical SIM slot for another provider?

https://support.google.com/fi/threa...ixel-5a5g?hl=en

Apparently you can try removing the physical fi sim and activating fi again without it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

I have a pixel 6a. Fi is on my esimm and I have a second physical sim with another number/provider. Works fine.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Ranter posted:

https://support.google.com/fi/threa...ixel-5a5g?hl=en

Apparently you can try removing the physical fi sim and activating fi again without it.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have a pixel 6a. Fi is on my esimm and I have a second physical sim with another number/provider. Works fine.

Glad to see it's possible! Unfortunately it also looks like (in that thread) that activation has to be done in the US. I won't be back in the US for a while, I'll have to try my luck after I get a new provider.

Edit: I'm wrong, and since I'm am existing Fi customer, I can do the esim switch while overseas. The guy on the phone walked me doing it on both my phone and my wife's and it was practically seamless. Now we have two providers on a physical/esim combo on both of our phones and are all set.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 4, 2023

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is $95 a decent trade-in value for a Pixel 6? Thinking of upgrading to a 7 Pro as there's a $350 discount through Fi and the 6 has been having some heating issues I can't seem to diagnose. They're only offering $95 trade-in for it, which seems really low but maybe I'm out of touch with the phone market?

e: looks like the trade-in value through the Google store is estimated at $320??? Why are the estimates different if you do it through Fi vs. the Google store?

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 26, 2023

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is $95 a decent trade-in value for a Pixel 6? Thinking of upgrading to a 7 Pro as there's a $350 discount through Fi and the 6 has been having some heating issues I can't seem to diagnose. They're only offering $95 trade-in for it, which seems really low but maybe I'm out of touch with the phone market?

e: looks like the trade-in value through the Google store is estimated at $320??? Why are the estimates different if you do it through Fi vs. the Google store?
If you haven't used a phone with a curved screen, I highly, highly recommend you go try out a 7 Pro at a store before you buy one. I was going to buy a pro, then handled one at a Verizon store, and wound up with a regular Pixel 7 instead because I don't like the curved screen.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Ham Equity posted:

If you haven't used a phone with a curved screen, I highly, highly recommend you go try out a 7 Pro at a store before you buy one. I was going to buy a pro, then handled one at a Verizon store, and wound up with a regular Pixel 7 instead because I don't like the curved screen.

Seconding this, have a 6 pro and dislike the screen. Google has dropped it in the Pixel 8 Pro

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Good to know! I'll check one out. I'm not in a rush so could maybe even wait for an 8 as long as this 6 doesn't explode on me lol

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

quote:

Google Fi Wireless takes your privacy seriously. The updated Google Fi Privacy Notice provides information about how we collect and use personal information. This includes your Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI).

CPNI includes the destination, technical configuration, and location of your calls and information about the type and amount of services that you purchase and use. Your CPNI does not include your name, address, or phone number.

Google Fi uses your CPNI to:

Provide your Fi service and related features
    Provide Internet access and voicemail
    Provide protection from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful use
    Bill you for your Fi service
    Provide customer support and troubleshooting when you need it

From time to time, Fi may wish to provide you with additional information about products, services, and offers from our Alphabet affiliates, including Google LLC, that aren’t among the category of services you’re already purchasing from us, such as offers from Google Store on new Pixel devices. Starting today, we will opt you into the sharing with and use of your CPNI by Alphabet affiliates to receive this information. Your opt in will go into effect 30 days from the date you receive this email.

You’re not required to stay opted in. It’s your right and our duty under federal law to protect the confidentiality of your CPNI. If you prefer to opt out of letting Fi use and share your CPNI with Alphabet and Google services, you can do so by replying here or via Fi’s privacy and security settings at any time (instructions here). Opting out of CPNI sharing won’t affect your account or your ability to use any of Google Fi Wireless’ services. If you do not choose to opt-out within 30 days of receiving this notice, Fi will assume your approval to share your CPNI with other Google services and our affiliates.

We have also updated our Fi Terms of Service. These changes will go into effect on 9/28/23. You can review the updated Terms of Service in full here.

Thanks,

Google Fi Wireless team

I don't know what this is about, except more advertising. I clicked the link in the email and it appeared to opt me out. Here's the instructions link if you didn't get the email for some reason. https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6181037

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Interestingly enough, I searched T-Mobile's site and this is what they had to say:

quote:

Under federal law, you have the choice to approve or disapprove certain uses of your CPNI that are outside the scope of ordinary business operations, fraud prevention, or legal compliance. T-Mobile does not use or share CPNI in ways that would trigger this approval process—like sharing your CPNI with others to help them market their stuff. You also have the option to access and manage your CPNI by visiting our Privacy Dashboard.

I guess that explains why they sent an email. No, thanks.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I got the email about CPNI changes but neither the Fi app nor the website linked in the email have a toggle for CPNI sharing anywhere? :confused:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Same.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Go to https://fi.google.com/account in a browser and sign in. It should be in the settings there. For one of our devices, we got an opt out success page and the other phone kept opening the Fi app, even if the link was pasted into a browser while signed in.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

:cheerdoge:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

It showed up under Privacy & Security settings but only when I used a browser. Didn't see it in the Fi app it when clicking the link on my phone.

e;fb

isndl
May 2, 2012
Using the browser on desktop worked, thanks. :)

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Google following it up with the most google thing possible, cancelling the pixel pass right as all the early adopters would be eligible to upgrade.

cool service we have here.

https://support.google.com/pixelpass/answer/13968577

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
I can only interpret this to mean that the pixel 8s will be a big enough jump in price that they can't allow upgrading. But if so, it seems like they could have just raised the price of the pass?

Maybe bundling all the separate services was a huge internal clusterfuck and they're just giving it up.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Ham Equity posted:

i've seen a lot of people complaining about this over the years but i don't see what the big deal is. it doesn't impact my usage at all

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dilber posted:

Google following it up with the most google thing possible, cancelling the pixel pass right as all the early adopters would be eligible to upgrade.

cool service we have here.

https://support.google.com/pixelpass/answer/13968577

Googled again!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is the pixel pass why I pay 10/mo for my phone instead of like 20¿

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
All the department heads probably complained about having to work with other teams lol

To the Google Graveyard it goes!

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

My wife has an iphone 13 mini previously on ATT, but had a bad plan (all the plans were bad) so we moved her over to Google Fi, which I’ve had for a while on my android. It seems fine except that she’s getting delayed or missed SMS messages sometimes.

After a bit of research it seems like on T-Mobile SMS can only go over cellular, maybe? Does anyone know if this is true? Perhaps it is an issue with an iPhone on Fi? The delayed/missed messages issue seems to happen more in our basement, which would indicate that it might have to do with cellular signal strength.
That would be odd, as I don’t have any issues with getting texts in the basement on Fi with my android.
I just updated a few settings on her phone (turning on wifi calling), so we’ll see if that helps.
But I guess the main question is if anyone has any thoughts on improving this, or if we have to move her back to ATT, as this might be a dealbreaker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I went to check if Google store or FI store had better deals on the new pixels dropping and noticed that unlimited FI members get one year free of YouTube premium +music

Which takes a bit of the sting out my grandfathered ~$9.99 plan finally raising the price to $13.99 in a month or 2

It looks like it's $400 off for existing FI lines or a pixel watch 2 or pro buds on the Google store for preorder bonuses. With a trade in it won't be too bad at all.

I think I'll take the cash, the watch is mildly interesting but I'm not really a watch guy and my original pixel buds are still meeting my needs.