Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I've only noticed the secure automatic connection a handful of times. It puts a little key symbol in the notification bar.

As an aside, it seems weird that it won't connect automatically to Google portals (like at Starbucks). I guess I get why but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Person with an iPhone is sending me texts and they're only being received by hangouts and in the details they are marked as "Project Fi Messages". What is this?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
The little key is the icon for VPN connections, so that makes sense.

My holiday bonus with the signup came with a USB a to C cable. That was pretty awesome too.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

withoutclass posted:

How is hangouts working for you? Does mms (group and picture) work? Isn't it still not recommended?

I dont think Group pictures have ever worked with hangouts. In fact I dont think MMS has ever worked in hangouts. I have to use the messenger app for that. I am sure it's not recommended.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Karthe posted:

So when does Fi's WiFi handoff kick in when I'm out in public? With as prominent as login portals and secured WiFi networks are in places like Starbucks, what networks is Google keeping track of to automatically latch onto when I'm in range? I don't think I've ever come across an open WiFi network - even local coffee shops protect their network with a simple password. It's starting to seem like Fi's "aggressive WiFi tendencies" are just a marketing bullet point that doesn't pan out in reality.

Edit: And I've enabled all of the necessary WiFi-handoff-related settings according to the Fi docs.

Once you put the password in for secure networks it saves it and automatically connects to the network when in range. For places like hotels where you have to log in via their web portal you have to manually log into the web portal every time.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I found a fi WiFi point at a..panera, I think? The only difference I found was that it auto connected and encrypted the connection (key showing in WiFi icon). That's the only place I've noticed it happen

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

There's a Fi community Google Map document where they're trying to collect info on where all the Wi-Fi points in the world are.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Darkpriest667 posted:

I dont think Group pictures have ever worked with hangouts. In fact I dont think MMS has ever worked in hangouts. I have to use the messenger app for that. I am sure it's not recommended.

What? MMS works fine in Hangouts, I use it all the time. I get group texts and photos too.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
So here's a weird issue I hope none of the rest of you run into, but I did. Anytime I was recieving a call, went to answer, would drop the call and say "hangouts has stopped". Yikes. After some googlin on the google phone, turns out disabling the "ok google" fixes this. I have no idea why thats a related thing but it did the trick for me. Go to google now, settings, voice control, "ok google" detection, and turn that crap off. I never had this feature on my galaxy s5 so there's the first I've run into it.

And heres a question - I got my kids nexus5x's as well for christmas. Lucky bastards. I found on one the parental control settings and dialed in the content ratings. For the life of me I cant find it again... this isn't in making a new user either, it's on the primary user. I seem to have a really bad habit of figuring out a thing once, then grabbing another phone later to repeat it - and losing my mind. So if anyone knows where that is I would appreciate it. Google leans towards third party apps when I ask it about parental controls so searching that way hasn't been helping.

Have good holidays everyone.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Ixian posted:

What? MMS works fine in Hangouts, I use it all the time. I get group texts and photos too.

Are you taking about using hangouts as your MMS/SMS app, or actually having your SMS delivered via Hangouts (you get SMS/MMS on desktop hangouts as well)?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ixian posted:

I just tested it, you're right it does. A year or two ago on my Nexus 5 it didn't work. It might have been something to do with voice integration and sprint. I know Sprint was basically a piece of trash and half of it's google integration poo poo didn't work correctly.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

withoutclass posted:

Are you taking about using hangouts as your MMS/SMS app, or actually having your SMS delivered via Hangouts (you get SMS/MMS on desktop hangouts as well)?

I use it as my default app and also use hangouts.google.com, they both work without issue.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
That's really cool to know, thanks!

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Got my 6P in yesterday, waiting for the wife's to come in before we switch our phone service over. While I'm waiting on that I started setting the phone up, installing apps, etc. One thing that threw me for a loop is that I can't get an internet connection through my 5ghz wifi network, I have to connect to the 2.4ghz one in order for it to work. Fi support says this is because the router needs to be set up to allow VOIP over 5ghz, so I called Comcast to try and get this set up, only they say that they simply can't do VOIP over 5ghz. Is that common? I'd like to get the phone on the better network if possible.

Aside from this issue the phone is a dream to use as a mini tablet. Feels perfect in the hand, fingerprint sensor is great, it's so much better than my old Galaxy that it's silly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sounds like your problem is using Comcast's terrible equipment.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Lord Yod posted:

Got my 6P in yesterday, waiting for the wife's to come in before we switch our phone service over. While I'm waiting on that I started setting the phone up, installing apps, etc. One thing that threw me for a loop is that I can't get an internet connection through my 5ghz wifi network, I have to connect to the 2.4ghz one in order for it to work. Fi support says this is because the router needs to be set up to allow VOIP over 5ghz, so I called Comcast to try and get this set up, only they say that they simply can't do VOIP over 5ghz. Is that common? I'd like to get the phone on the better network if possible.

Aside from this issue the phone is a dream to use as a mini tablet. Feels perfect in the hand, fingerprint sensor is great, it's so much better than my old Galaxy that it's silly.

Sounds like your router. I have this router here

I connect to 5GHZ all the time.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Darkpriest667 posted:

Aye, I have a Netgear R7000 as well, picked it up refurbished from Newegg back in July for about $100. It's been the best router I've ever owned, and my 6P has no trouble connecting to its 5GHz band.

Got my Fi Data Sim today, Looks like it will not work in a CR-48 afterall.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Darkpriest667 posted:

Thanks, I suspected that might be the issue.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Any ideas why I am not receiving notifications when I get a text message? I have hangouts integration enabled with hangouts as my default messaging app. Currently I won't know I received a message until I open the hangouts app and check.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

Just as I was about to try to configure something with Tasker, I found that if you log into your Project Fi account and scroll all the way to the bottom, you'll see a link for Google Voice. Click on that, go to the settings icon, and in the voicemail and calls section, you'll see little check boxes where you can re-enable this functionality!

Oh wow! I was wondering why my Google Voice extension suddenly started showing me voicemail transcriptions. I logged into Google Voice and a whole lot of functionality is back. More importantly to me, all the texts that I had received for years are once again accessible. I hadn't realized I'd lose them when I switched, but now I have them back! New texts aren't showing up, though, nor does any calls since switching. Still neat to have so much back.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Out of curiosity, I just stuck my activated Fi sim card into my iPhone 5s and everything (texts, data, calls, imessage) appears to work perfectly both on and off a wifi network. What am I missing?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I literally just did this with my 6S too in an effort to deregister iMessage. The caveat is that it essentially functions as a T-Mobile SIM, and it is against the ToS for Fi, and they will 100% gently caress you when they find out.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Tried switching to receiving SMS via Hangouts. Promptly started missing plain old SMS, welp.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

withoutclass posted:

Tried switching to receiving SMS via Hangouts. Promptly started missing plain old SMS, welp.

Yeah I'm trying to force myself to adapt, but there is a lot of inconsistency and unfinished feelings in hangouts. I'm a recent iPhone switcher and so far im pretty unimpressed by what is supposed to be the android flagship.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I actually just switched to hangouts fully, and I really like it because now I'm able to receive and send txts from Hangouts on my computer. Which was what I used to always do with Google Voice, so now that I've switched I like it. The thing that I missed to start was that in addition to switching Hangouts to be my default SMS application, I also had to enable SMS delivery entirely via Hangouts instead of via carrier. It does mean I won't receive txts if I don't have data, which isn't a negligible downside, but I can live with it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh man, I wish I had noticed this service before I reloaded my T Mobile nerd plan. Guess I can uhhh, do some double phone shenanigans for a month? Whatever it's fine. Getting a Nexus 5x, if I never ran into issues on my 5 with just the 16GB model, I shouldn't need to move up to the 32GB right?

edit: Well, wait, I guess the 5x is actually having some serious problems now. Maybe I should just sit on it, 320 is tempting but maybe not if it's going to overheat and lag.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 28, 2015

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
My home cable was out for the last 6 days because someone ran over the box outside- I've noticed my LTE speeds inside have been pretty rotten. Not a big deal, but broadband outages are something to consider if you are thinking of switching over

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Anything stopping you from putting an activated Fi sim card into a non-Nexus? Does the card 'know'?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Khanstant posted:

Oh man, I wish I had noticed this service before I reloaded my T Mobile nerd plan. Guess I can uhhh, do some double phone shenanigans for a month? Whatever it's fine. Getting a Nexus 5x, if I never ran into issues on my 5 with just the 16GB model, I shouldn't need to move up to the 32GB right?

edit: Well, wait, I guess the 5x is actually having some serious problems now. Maybe I should just sit on it, 320 is tempting but maybe not if it's going to overheat and lag.

What kind of serious problems? I am kind of in the Nexus and google fi G+ pages and I haven't seen a mass infusion of serious problems reported.

Daily Forecast posted:

Anything stopping you from putting an activated Fi sim card into a non-Nexus? Does the card 'know'?

No nothing is stopping you from doing it, but as the two guys above will find out. When you run into a problem and you need support they will find out and they will gently caress you. If you're lucky they'll just ban you from ever using the service again and if you're unlucky they'll deactivate your account associated with Fi. If you're really unlucky they'll file a suit against you since you've violated the terms of service that you agreed to signing up for Project Fi. You might want to read over the TOS before you decide to give the finger to Google. They might take your finger but they have the ability to give you the fist.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
FWIW my first nexus phone did overheat, fried the charge port. Got a replacement, it's been fine. That's one of four phones we got. Completely anecdotal, but there ya go.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Darkpriest667 posted:

No nothing is stopping you from doing it, but as the two guys above will find out. When you run into a problem and you need support they will find out and they will gently caress you. If you're lucky they'll just ban you from ever using the service again and if you're unlucky they'll deactivate your account associated with Fi. If you're really unlucky they'll file a suit against you since you've violated the terms of service that you agreed to signing up for Project Fi. You might want to read over the TOS before you decide to give the finger to Google. They might take your finger but they have the ability to give you the fist.

This is kind of alarmist. The worst they will do, as a prepaid MVNO, is cut your service off without notice. If you ported your own phone number over, there is a good chance you will lose it, and they won't have any incentive to help you.

Beyond that, there is no ETF fee, there is no worthwhile lawsuit to file, etc.

They will probably spot you relatively quickly on an iPhone (using mobile Safari), but there's probably a better chance of lasting longer on an Android phone. However I would bet that certain features are, at the very least, pretty flaky without certain stock Android 6.0 code.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Didn't know they actually cared, fair enough. I was just wondering if both my wife and I could go onto Fi without her having to give up her T-Mobile S4, which she likes.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

nocal posted:

This is kind of alarmist. The worst they will do, as a prepaid MVNO, is cut your service off without notice. If you ported your own phone number over, there is a good chance you will lose it, and they won't have any incentive to help you.

Beyond that, there is no ETF fee, there is no worthwhile lawsuit to file, etc.

They will probably spot you relatively quickly on an iPhone (using mobile Safari), but there's probably a better chance of lasting longer on an Android phone. However I would bet that certain features are, at the very least, pretty flaky without certain stock Android 6.0 code.

No, they can deactivate your google account over it. Look at the TOS.

quote:

You may only use the Services with supported devices. A supported device is a device that conforms to all the following requirements:

does not potentially harm the Services, our network, or our suppliers’ networks;
complies with Federal Communications Commission regulations;
utilizes an operating system supported by Services; and
is certified by us for use on our network.

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 28, 2015

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Daily Forecast posted:

Didn't know they actually cared, fair enough. I was just wondering if both my wife and I could go onto Fi without her having to give up her T-Mobile S4, which she likes.

They care a great deal for two reasons; one Google is a massive data-collection company and they want the stats on how often phones switch between networks, two (and more importantly) as an MNVO the deal they cut with T-Mobile and Sprint doesn't allow for exclusive access of one network over another. It's why they don't let you change manually (and took down a couple third party apps that did) and why you can't sign up for Fi unless you live in an area that has both.

I don't work for Fi (or Google) so I am just making an assumption here but the logical reason is that the ability to switch between two providers and Wifi seamlessly is a big factor in why Fi is so cheap. If you stick it in an unsupported phone you'll essentially just get T-Mobile at a very big discount, which while I am sure seems like a fantastic thing for you is not so great for them.

Darkpriest is right, it's not like they aren't going to see what type of phone you are using (even if it's another Android phone it still has unique identifiers) and if they get around to catching you doing it you'll probably be cut off. Maybe a warning first, I don't know. I doubt they would sue you.

The point of Fi is that it lines up with Google's overall goal of not having their services dependent on any one carrier/ISP. If they can't build it out themselves (ala Project Loon or Google Fiber) then they'll at least deal with multiple carriers.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Darkpriest667 posted:

What kind of serious problems? I am kind of in the Nexus and google fi G+ pages and I haven't seen a mass infusion of serious problems reported.

The Nexus 5x overheats, lags, can't run it's own processors for longer than a few minutes, screens sometimes come tainted yellow, upside-down screen issues, I was all excited to get one last night because all the first reviews seemed positive, but I guess that's why a first review is pointless. It's just some goober excited to have a new phone and they'll describe how it looks and poo poo. At the very least, I've heard from several sources it definitely overheats and has input lag or touchscreen failure issues with games or other apps.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Khanstant posted:

The Nexus 5x overheats, lags, can't run it's own processors for longer than a few minutes, screens sometimes come tainted yellow, upside-down screen issues, I was all excited to get one last night because all the first reviews seemed positive, but I guess that's why a first review is pointless. It's just some goober excited to have a new phone and they'll describe how it looks and poo poo. At the very least, I've heard from several sources it definitely overheats and has input lag or touchscreen failure issues with games or other apps.

I haven't ran into any of this, is it something that develops over time or are some just shipping without being properly quality checked? I've had mine for about a week or so and no problems so far. Maybe the "Ice" color I chose for the case is helping it keep from overheating.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ixian posted:

They care a great deal for two reasons; one Google is a massive data-collection company and they want the stats on how often phones switch between networks, two (and more importantly) as an MNVO the deal they cut with T-Mobile and Sprint doesn't allow for exclusive access of one network over another. It's why they don't let you change manually (and took down a couple third party apps that did) and why you can't sign up for Fi unless you live in an area that has both.

The point of Fi is that it lines up with Google's overall goal of not having their services dependent on any one carrier/ISP. If they can't build it out themselves (ala Project Loon or Google Fiber) then they'll at least deal with multiple carriers.

Well that and the fact that in major metro areas T-Mobile has a much better, much faster and also more expensive network to use. I would suspect in most cases that Fi devices heavily favor the worse Sprint network when it doesn't need bandwidth and the best signal, staying on T-Mobile all the time ruins the hedge on getting just good enough service on the worse Sprint network most of the time.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Interesting. Any data to confirm this notion that Google is favoring slower sprint networks over faster t-mobile? Android is open source after all, so hopefully we can just look at the aggregated data and confirm this. At least for the area the tests were conducted in.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ranter posted:

Interesting. Any data to confirm this notion that Google is favoring slower sprint networks over faster t-mobile? Android is open source after all, so hopefully we can just look at the aggregated data and confirm this. At least for the area the tests were conducted in.

All costs the same why would they be angry that that your forced yourself on T-Mobile only coverage? Especially when it is well known that Sprint's network is both poo poo and cheaper than T-Mobile in major metros? They are punishing you for getting worse coverage on T-Mobile?

Good enough is good enough, who cares about LTE data speeds when you are trying to push hundreds of thousands if not millions emails a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So you're saying you have no evidence? OK.