Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Darkpriest667 posted:

No nothing is stopping you from doing it, but as the two guys above will find out. When you run into a problem and you need support they will find out and they will gently caress you. If you're lucky they'll just ban you from ever using the service again and if you're unlucky they'll deactivate your account associated with Fi. If you're really unlucky they'll file a suit against you since you've violated the terms of service that you agreed to signing up for Project Fi. You might want to read over the TOS before you decide to give the finger to Google. They might take your finger but they have the ability to give you the fist.

This is kind of alarmist. The worst they will do, as a prepaid MVNO, is cut your service off without notice. If you ported your own phone number over, there is a good chance you will lose it, and they won't have any incentive to help you.

Beyond that, there is no ETF fee, there is no worthwhile lawsuit to file, etc.

They will probably spot you relatively quickly on an iPhone (using mobile Safari), but there's probably a better chance of lasting longer on an Android phone. However I would bet that certain features are, at the very least, pretty flaky without certain stock Android 6.0 code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

I just got my invite. I'm planning on buying a 6P and moving over to Fi in July when my contract when AT&T ends (and my dad stops paying the bill).

The one thing I'm worried about is losing my number. I have a really awesome/easy to remember cell phone number and I just wanted to ask you guys how fast the 'number-transfer' process is. I'm just paranoid about someone coming along and snatching my number while it's being switched over. Granted I don't really understand how all of that works to it's probably an irrational fear.

Also will I be able to move the same number to a different carrier later?

Porting a number means that you don't lose it; it cancels your service immediately with your previous carrier.

Let's say you're moving from Verizon to Fi.

You contact Fi, and you port your number over. Your number is removed from Verizon service. If you have a contract with Verizon, they automatically charge you an ETF. If not, they automatically send you a final bill. Your number is still yours though it may take varying amounts of time for your new service to begin.

Let's say you don't port by contacting Fi -- let's say you're confused, so first you call Verizon and cancel your service. That is, you did not set up service with another carrier and port your number over. What happens is that as soon as you cancel, your number is "released" and is available to Verizon customers. Verizon customers are not able to know this exactly, but what will happen is that in a store somewhere a Verizon employee setting up a new phone for a customer says, "Here are a few options for a cell number," which are given to him by an automated computer system. The new customer might choose yours, in which case it's gone. Even if it isn't gone, you have zero way of retrieving it, even if you beg Verizon or reinstate service.

So: do not cancel your service. Contact your new provider first, and tell them you are porting your number from another service.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Ixian posted:

Depends on where you are. If you are in Tokyo (and by that, I mean the metro area, which is huge, Tokyo is more than a city), no, you don't really have to speak a lick of Japanese to get around Tokyo (though it's polite if you know the basic greetings and such). Same for the more touristy areas like Kyoto. Anywhere else, you might want to have a translator app handy, sure. If you are going to some off the road fishing village you read about on Lonely Planet or whatever it helps.

Japan is pretty awesome, and one of the reasons is even the areas that are used to Westerners still don't feel Westernized, if that makes sense. You will definitely know you are in a different part of the planet if you are used to the US or Europe.

Edit: Not to turn this in to an Ask/Tell thread about some idiot businessman's experiences in Japan over the last 20 years but: A) Fi works pretty well there - though it is one of the countries where if you go local, you will get much faster speeds, their LTE is insane in most metro areas. You can rent portable wifi hotspots in most airports fairly cheaply (even cheaper if you book ahead) if you are really in to internet on the go. B) The Subway system in Tokyo is one of the best in the world, and also one of the most confusing to non-Japanese speakers, until you figure it out (all maps have English translations) at which point it is dead simple and you can literally get anywhere you want to go for cheap and C) Japanese people love chicken more than most Western people who haven't been to Japan realize. This isn't a universal rule, but seriously, they eat fried and grilled chicken over there like they grew up in Alabama, I am not kidding. First time I went I thought it would be all Sushi and rice (and you can get a lot of that if you want) but the chicken is great. Which has nothing to do with Fi I know but thought I would bring it up.

I am actually thinking of finally switching to Fi, because I'm going to Tokyo in June, so this is interesting to me.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Ranter posted:

Do Verizon CDMA phones work in GSM Europe?

http://willmyphonework.net/

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

photomikey posted:

Yeah, I'm using the 6P right now and it's literally the best phone I've ever had. Which is what I plan to tell my wife. When I give her my used Nexus 6P and buy whatever the new hotness is.

Android Police leaked the specs on two HTC-built Nexus devices, presumably to replace the 5X and 6P. They both sound good, presuming HTC doesn't gently caress up the construction.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Sorry, should have clarified. I turn data off at home because I live in a cell service black hole and it drains my battery fast to leave it on.

Texts are carried over the cellular network; you can't receive a text over WiFi. You could use a service such as WhatsApp, WeChat, Line, or...Hangouts.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I got a Pixel through Fi, and switched from the T-Mobile nerd plan. T-mobile worked great 99% of the time where I live, and I am relatively sure I'm on T-Mobile towers all the time. Works identically so far. Made a call on my home WiFi and it sounded fine.

One neat thing is that I put $10 into Hangouts while in Japan ($0.10/m wifi call that I had to make). I completely forgot that I had like $9.70 there, but it somehow was automatically credited to Fi.

I have yet to really test things, as I haven't gone out of town or into areas with known bad reception.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm switching from Sprint to Google Fi tomorrow, very pumped! Buying a Nexus 6P off of a friend for only $100 which I believe is a great deal, while simultaneously cutting my phone bill in half(and while still using Sprint's network :getin:)

There hasn't been any issue porting phone numbers over, has there? I was speaking with my friend and she said that Google does all that for you which is dope, but just checking. I've had this number since I was 14 damnit, you can't take it away from me! Get off my lawn, you kids!

Fi has a page where you enter in your Sprint info. You need your account number, your PIN, your billing address. Get all these and make sure they're correct. If you're not the primary account holder, you need to have that person contact Sprint and say that your line is now "available to port." But again, DON'T cancel your service with Sprint; the port will automatically do that for you when it's completed. If the port takes more than 24 hours you should call Fi/Sprint.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I use an app called Join to text from Chrome. It does most of the stuff pushbullet did.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I tried to port my number to Sprint, to take advantage of the Unlimited Kickstart $15/month plan. Fi has been decent, but not great -- I felt like I could save money and potentially get slightly better service (the network switching doesn't seem to work great for me). So I "cancel" Fi (port out to Google Voice through the Fi app, very easy), and after about a day my service stops and I try to port to Sprint.

I guess I forgot how poo poo garbage Sprint is from when I had them about 8 years ago, but their call center in India just never knew quite what to do. I don't work in an office, and I use my phone for work, so I needed this to be done in the typical ~24 hours that most carriers would be able to do.

After one day, I called Sprint. They didn't really know what to do, and I spent about 45 minutes on hold. But at the end of the call they assured me it would be done soon.

After two days, I called Sprint. They didn't really know what to do, and I spent about 45 minutes on hold. They told me they would "email Google Voice" to release my number. I'm starting to lose my patience when they guy says "please call us back tomorrow."

The morning of day 3 (today), I called Sprint. They didn't really know what to do, and I spent about 1 hour on hold. They told me they would "email Google Voice." I really lost my patience, and asked, "What if they don't respond? I just won't have service? What if I wasn't calling every day?" The guy put me on hold for about 20 minutes at this point to "talk to a supervisor." Maybe he did, but he said they will "email Google Voice." I said, "You need to release my phone number so I can port it to another carrier, immediately." He put me on hold and claimed to have done this. He thanked me for choosing Sprint.

Meanwhile Fi support calls me within 2 minutes and says they'll reactivate my account. They walk me through a few steps, and it's back to normal after 15 minutes.

So I would have saved like $5-600/year, but gently caress, maybe that's the price for decent service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Javid posted:

Now that I've got all my fi stuff working it's great, but good god their support is a dumpster fire. To be fair, this is true of every cell carrier I've ever had, so they're hitting par on that one.

See, I have only had to contact support two or three times -- just to set up initial service, and then when I was trying to switch carriers, and then when I was desperate to return to Fi. And each time the service was competent, bordering on great. It wasn't perfect, particularly the email/chat. But getting someone on the phone was easy, as they will call you rather than making you wait on hold. And the person was clearly semi-knowledgeable and located in America.

Part of trying to switch to Sprint, where I knew the service was way worse, was that I almost never contact the carrier for anything. Realistically the only time I ever need to contact them is perhaps 1 time per year when I buy a new phone. So, what does it matter if the service is bad? Well if you can't even get the drat service set up, then I guess there's the value in having competent service.