Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

A while back Google was actually saying not to use hangouts for sms/mms and use Messenger instead.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/05/06/google-actually-recommends-that-you-use-messenger-for-sms-over-hangouts/

Not sure if it's still the case but I know I like the way Messenger works way better than hangouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Glass of Milk posted:

Google sent a replacement for wife's phone, but it still has the same issue- if you're perfectly centered in the picture it's not noticeable, but close-up stuff stretches out near the edges.

It's not too big a deal- I should be able to sell the device for around $350 which is about what I owe on it, and I'll still have her $50 play credit to use.

I had that exact issue on a Note 4 and a gs6. I think everyone is starting to switch to fisheye lenses or something now.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Valicious posted:

I just remember reading people talking a lot about Google Voice and Project Fi in the same posts - not on here, but other forums that I came across while researching. Does Fi support HD Voice?

I know it doesn't support HD Voice from Fi to Sprint since there was no HD voice thing in the corner, and calling from Fi to Fi there was nothing that indicated HD Voice was in use and the call sounded like any other regular call. Don't know anyone who has t-mobile so I couldn't test Fi to t-mobile, but I'm going to guess that doesn't work either.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Krinkle posted:

I ported my old phone number over from a verizon shared family plan and it gave my caller ID the plan owner's name. It's been a week and they tried to change me to "wireless caller" twice now. I'm waiting the second set of 72 hours to see if it takes.

They very specifically said they can ONLY change my caller ID to "wireless caller" and some post on reddit said they could only get "wireless caller [state initials]" but I couldn't even get that much.

If people could choose their own caller IDs would everyone make themselves Barack Obama and tell people they're getting audited or else for scams and flams? I don't really get it. I don't get if I should keep asking, like maybe it'll change, or after some time it will be feasible again.

My second issue is, do I have to do anything special to make the phone prefer wifi over cell towers? If I make phone calls from in front of my wifi station in a basement it takes like 30 seconds to time out the first time, and the second call goes through. I have signal spy and it just tells me that T-mobile is the strongest signal in my area, not whether the call is going out on wifi or not. I"m not even sure what I'm complaining about, since I don't know which it's trying for.

Airplane mode and turning on Wi-Fi?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I think the thing about the data difference coming from Sprint is since Sprint's data network is such poo poo people tend to have low use since they literally can't download more. When my company switched from Sprint to AT&T people jumped from using maybe 200mb a month to 1gb+ now that YouTube and all those streaming apps now actually loaded and ran in HD everywhere without buffering.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

frosteh posted:

Has anyone switched to Fi from an AT&T prepaid plan (GoPhone)? I need an account and PIN number in order to transfer my number to Fi and after logging into my GoPhone account online, I don't see anything regarding an account number. I have a PIN to log into my GoPhone account, but I've read that your PIN is the last 4 digits of your SSN (my SSN and my GoPhone PIN are not the same).

You're more than likely going to have to call AT&T for the account number. I know with Boost they specifically say to call in for the account number, and when you do they transfer you straight to retentions. I'm assuming this is just how prepaid works.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Uncle Ivan posted:

Needs to have your phone on for that. And you can't just log in from any browser. Anyway, I wish Google would release just a project Fi SMS interface that you can use from any website while still being able to use whatever SMS app you want.

Have you tired MightyText? The phone does have to be powered on but you can just log into a webpage to send and receive SMS.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Motronic posted:

Edit 2: Would you believe that most MMS are delivered via SMTP still in the wholesale interop world? It's just bad. It's all so bad. I can't even believe how frequently this poo poo actually works.

I was able to get SMS alerts working in Mimecast by putting the alert email address as [phone number]@[carrier].com so I believe that.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

They're phasing out Play Music later this year. Which really sucks because I like the Play Music interface way more than YouTube Music, and YouTube Music doesn't support podcasts. You have to transfer your Play Music podcast subscriptions to the Google Podcasts app, because who doesn't love having to use multiple apps to get all the features they had in one before?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

FogHelmut posted:

What happens to the Hangouts in my gmail desktop browser window that I use to chat with people all day?

You can use messages.google.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

FogHelmut posted:

So does that mean there's going to be no chat within the Gmail window?

No more chat within Gmail, but it looks like Google is rolling out a Fi specific version of Messages for Web: https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6188337?hl=en&ref_topic=6216184