Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Anyone with experience using Google fi in Georgia/Atlanta area?

And what should I expect service wide if I went to someplace like Canada? I saw the data plan overseas tends to be the same price as local so I'm interested in that.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I don't even have a Google fi phone but looking at their plan it's pretty much text and calls are free and that the only thing that increases your bill is if you use data when you're away from a WiFi signal? I think I heard that if you live in a city, Google is awesome at keeping you using WiFi data and you almost never pay anything for data?

Like one of the things I love about fi is how simple the plan is.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So I think I'm gonna try switching over to Google fi.

What's most important to me is keeping my phone number. Anyone have experience going off Verizon and joining Google fi and still keeping their number?

I'll probably just get one of their cheaper phones. I don't do anything fancy with my phone I just like to get access to the forums and apps like YouTube

Edit: and they confirm that you can port your number before you sign the contract?

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 29, 2019

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Rakeris posted:

Also if you use a refferal code you get 20$ off your bill (I do as well) after the first month, my code is if you want to use it.

Thanks for this. I used your code so here's mine for the next person for a referral chain.

Here's a referral code to get a $20 credit when you join Google fi! 32WHPC

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm mostly A (on track to do 1gb a month with my data usage) with some B and I live in a major city so coverage is fine and I get plenty of free wifi spots at home.

I feel like I'm not going to save much with another carrier unless I just go hogwild with my data but I do appreciate that Google fi has no contracts.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Tanith posted:

Well thank you for saving me the trouble of having to find it myself!

I think the weirdest thing about going from 1st to 4th gen is the absence of any real bezel on the bottom means the keyboard is that much lower, so I'm holding the phone in a way that feels more top-heavy.

If you're using the default keyboard, try SwiftKey or something. It has some customization options so it might help you out there

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah why the hell not. Literally free, didn't have to pay taxes or shipping. And it's literally like half a minute of clicking on buttons and double checking the order details. I could use another Bluetooth speaker anyway.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

a mysterious cloak posted:

My son has decided to save up for an iPhone because he's 14 and that's what his friends have. I don't recall the exact model he wants, but are there any issues with iPhones on Fi? I know it won't do network switching, and I just need to double check the one he wants against Fi's list of compatible phones.

My wife is using an iPhone 7 with Google fi and the only weird thing we've noticed is she has to do voicemail through the app and not the phone itself.

Haven't had any issues for 4+ months so far.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Bloodplay it again posted:

The payment of $0 isn't scheduled for another 11 days but it's very cool of them to charge me twice next month instead of just correcting it and charging the proper amount later this month. Did this happen to anyone else?

Same here, no charges this month and they'll just charge again next month it sounds like?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Celexi posted:

is my last bill for fi supposed to be $0, I thought they would have fixed the $0 billing issue before my billing date of 9th, but I got a bill for $0

You get charged $0 for August, next month you'll be charged for August and September.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I've pretty much accepted this is the way phones are. You're basically subscribing to a phone and paying it off over two years. If you get a good top of the line model, then yeah you could make it 3-5 years.

I've used to do sub $200 phones for like the last ten years but I decided to finally get a pixel 6 and I'm keeping that 3 years minimum.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm enjoying my 6 and it's gonna be the first phone I keep for 3+ years.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

maltesh posted:

Got my Pixel 6 yesterday. Tried to buy a6 PRO on the day of the release, but couldn't nab a 256 MB version, and ultimately decided I wanted 256 MB of storage more than 1 wanted a larger phone.

Are there any glass screen protectors that work with the fingerprint reader? The one I ordered (ivoler [6 Pack] Screen Protector for Google Pixel 6) wouldn't recognize any of my fingerprints, even the ones I added with the glass screen protector on.

LK 2 Pack Screen Protector Compatible for Google Pixel 6 5G with 2 Pack Camera Lens Protector [Not fit for Google Pixel 6 Pro] Easy Install Tray, HD Clear 9H Hardness temepred galss for Pixel 6 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CMN5J8X/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_T56PJ44884PH295PZVBQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Here's what I used.

It works but you do have to hold your finger for a whole second which I think helps.

I'm used to a fingerprint device that's in the back of the device and that responded quicker.

I'm thinking if it responds better without a screen protector, after I get my case I may have to take off the screen protector. The screen is gorilla glass anyway isn't it?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I have a six and it's pretty good. My only complaint is on the fingerprint it does take half a second longer to recognize than other readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Trading in a 6 for a 8 Pro. Trade in is only $90 but the discount on Fi is pretty good.