Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bloodplay it again posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Google overhauled the way SMS and MMS work soon. This is the first carrier I've used in almost a decade that doesn't auto convert SMS to MMS after 160 characters.

Still, this phone is great and I haven't had any issues. I just feel bad for my girlfriend because she still has to charge her 5x every night and I can get by for 3 without charging.

I don't think I've seen SMS converted to MMS after 160 characters in like 5+ years and I've been on T-Mobile, Verizon, and Cricket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Ixian posted:

I've been to, at last count, 11 countries in Europe and Asia (from the US) as well as Mexico since getting Fi and I would never think of buying a local sim to put in it, because there is no point.

While it's perfectly true that you can sometimes get a local sim that will get you faster network speeds (though that varies a great deal) Fi "just works" almost everywhere and is cheap as poo poo. You don't need to do anything, just go there. I mean, I'm not going to be torrenting movies or watching Netflix for 5 hours on it, but for vacation or business travelers who want to use their phone wherever it's perfect.

Ditto for most of Tmobile's plans, as well.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Maps navigation in car works fine on 2G/Edge connections, ask me how I know :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wilford Cutlery posted:

How can I see what is using my data? I just switched to Fi last week and I'm already at 1.57GB. I signed up for 2GB/month because I always used less than that on Sprint.

Edit: looks like Photos used 722MB. I set it to sync only while charging now, that should help.

Seems like I need data on for SMS via Hangouts. I set my default SMS app to Messenger and sent my girlfriend a text. I didn't get her reply until I turned data back on, and it came in via Hangouts. How can I text without data?

I wouldn't really worry about texts using data on Fi. The amount is seriously miniscule.