Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm switching from Sprint to Google Fi tomorrow, very pumped! Buying a Nexus 6P off of a friend for only $100 which I believe is a great deal, while simultaneously cutting my phone bill in half(and while still using Sprint's network :getin:)

There hasn't been any issue porting phone numbers over, has there? I was speaking with my friend and she said that Google does all that for you which is dope, but just checking. I've had this number since I was 14 damnit, you can't take it away from me! Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

nocal posted:

Fi has a page where you enter in your Sprint info. You need your account number, your PIN, your billing address. Get all these and make sure they're correct. If you're not the primary account holder, you need to have that person contact Sprint and say that your line is now "available to port." But again, DON'T cancel your service with Sprint; the port will automatically do that for you when it's completed. If the port takes more than 24 hours you should call Fi/Sprint.

Ooh, that's good to know. I'll need to get that stuff tonight. Definitely haven't known my PIN for a long time.

Thanks!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Has anyone had the Google Fi website tell them they can't port their number over but talked to whoever(current provider, Google Fi, etc...) and managed to get it switched? I'm waiting on an email from their support team, but right now they're saying my number is non-transferable to T-Mobile. That's a bit weird isn't it, cause they also use Sprint's service and I have Sprint right now? I know that doesn't mean much(or anything...) but I was hoping to keep my old digits..

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

mitztronic posted:

It's federal law that they have to let you switch it (e: see below though). Sounds like an error.

FCC website about it: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/porting-keeping-your-phone-number-when-you-change-providers

Interesting. Guess this means I need to call Sprint, also going to call Google Fi probably tomorrow night to try to figure it out. The Google Fi tech support person said to try porting it to Google Voice which I tried, but it gave me a message about my area not being in a portable region or something to that effect. It's weird cause I'm in Chicago right now which is definitely covered, but I'm guessing because my number is from a more rural area they don't want to port it? I dunno, hopefully I can figure it out soon, I really wanna play with my new phone(and also cut my phone bill in half...)!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

bigman.50grand posted:

That's really strange. I wonder if they have you down as a landline or something?

FWIW, I just transfered my number to Fi from Sprint not even 24 hours ago. It's been my number since I first moved to Boston, going on 15 years now, and I've been able to transfer it from AT&T to Sprint when I moved out west and now Sprint to Fi living in NYC. Good luck!

Definitely not a landline, but thanks for your input. May I ask where your original phone number came from? Was it from Boston?

I'm getting the feeling that because my number is originally from a rural area they don't want to port it? :shrug: I'm gonna call Google Fi tonight in between work and class and hopefully figure out what's good.

In the meantime, is there a topic here that is like a "must have" of apps for Google Phones? I haven't looked in any other IYG topic, so my apologies if I'm asking a dumb question!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I ported a rural Sprint number to Google Voice about 3-4 years ago, with no problems. Unless they have actually said this is the reason, you might be barking up the wrong tree here. And I would guess that a phone provider can't (legally) refuse to port a number just because they "don't want to", or because of the population density of the number's geographic area. I know that FCC article says sometimes it's a problem when you move to a new geographic area, but I have a number of friends who moved here to MN and still have their mobile numbers from TX, CO, NY, NJ, etc.

Yeah that's just conjecture on my part. I spoke with a Google Fi dude over the phone last night and he told me that he's actually unsure why his system won't let me port my number over. I'm going to call Sprint today to see what's up, which sucks because...

photomikey posted:

retentions trying to use every false-logic in the book to get you to not leave.

...this, but I've had enough experience with Sprint and ComCast to know how to cut through their bullshit quickly. The Google Fi dude told me I should order a SIMcard with a new number right now, and once I figure the Sprint stuff out to give them a call back. Worst case scenario I get a new number and waste some time talking to Sprint, best case I keep my number. Pretty sweet deal, still a mad upgrad eon my phone and cutting my bill in half soooooo!

Anyway slightly related question, but can I dick around on my Nexus 6P without a SIMcard, just using wifi? I'm getting antsy to start playing with it...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Also SignalSpy is pretty interesting, I set up my phone and was on Sprint, went for a walk, and have been on T-Mobile since.

Are the "choose which towers you use" apps free, or do they cost? And what's the generally accepted best one?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Also if you're worried about paying for apps, just get on Google Opinions Rewards. You get surveys and they pay you between $0.10 and $1.00 in Google bucks. I use it to buy apps, rent movies, etc. It expires after a year of not spending it, but I still have $43 sitting in my account.

Yo this is dope, thanks for the tip. How long does it usually take to verify you so you can start taking surveys?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sorry if this has been asked before(searched the past 3 pages quickly and couldn't find it) but what is the app that lets you force your phone to use certain towers? SignalSpy?

Follow-up question: how do you check what network you're on through your phone, just somewhere in the settings and phone info?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Where do you find your own referral code?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Only issue with Fi service I've seen is it takes 5-30 extra seconds to actually initiate the call, from my end. Other than that the quality has been the same, if not slightly better(?) than my Sprint service. :shrug:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Had my first real issues with Fi today, seemed to make a call just fine over wifi, but then directly in the middle of the call switch back to the Fi network, and subsequently drop that call, have lesser quality on the next call, drop it again and then have similar(poor) quality on the third call.

And it was during a phone interview :suicide:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

Just chiming in to say that I had no issue getting a free replacement 6P after experiencing the dead-phone-at-20%+ battery thing even though I'm past warranty. I did get mine from Google directly though, so YMMV.

Do you mean your phone dying at approximately 20% battery? Cause poo poo, if I can get a replacement 6P out of warranty, tell me your secrets! :worship:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yep. I just used chat on the Fi page and told them it was dying consistently above 20% battery, I tried troubleshooting and nothing was working. She said it was a known issue and issued a replacement. However, I've seen stories of people who got the phone with someone other than Google (and/or not living in the US) having a much harder time getting it replaced for this issue, so who knows.

Was your replacement brand new? And how far out of your warranty were you? Interesting though, thanks for the tips! I bought my 6P second-hand from a homie but as far as I know she got it through Google, so I'm probably gonna give this a try later today. Worst they can do is say no!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah I'm going on 2 years of being away from Sprint and I'll never go back. I had unlimited data grandfathered in on them and it still was pure garbage.

Any rumours about when the new Pixel will drop?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Some kind of referral contest going on right now, FYI.

It only works if you use this referral link though...

https://g.co/fi/r/VT02AE

:angel:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Aphasian posted:

Both my and my wife's phones starting dying without warning somewhere between 20% and 35%; both above the battery saver threshold, so there was never any warning. I contacted support and went through their list of steps, including factory reset, and nothing worked. We were well past the warranty period, but I was able to get the replacement fee waived by asking support to escalate and mentioning I'd found a lot of people online having the same issue.

The only real annoyance was my wife had to go through the process herself--save the escalation because she referenced my helpdesk ticket--because Fi originally made us sign up separately.

She's loved the 6p's camera (one of the main reason's I went with it and Fi), so these refurbished ones should hold us over until the next Pixels come out and there's a sale.

Nothing quite like that fresh phone battery feeling.

I'm still pretty happy with the service; I don't make basically any calls and am on wifi all day at work and home. I get hit with the data notifications whenever we travel, but I love the simplicity of the plan and the fact you don't get penalized, just charged for what you use.

The service is kind of weird sometimes by me (outside Washington, DC), but the area is known for sudden 5-bars-to-deadzone drops for everyone, especially around some of the bases, although that may be coincidence (are cell towers allowed on government land?).

So I've been having the same issue, but I knew my phone was out of warranty so I never really thought to hit up customer service until you posted this story.

Not only did they agree to replace my phone free of charge, they're upgrading my Nexus 6P to a Pixel XL, still for the free-ninety-nine! That's a hell of a way to start a long weekend, so thanks for motivating me to contact their customer service. :bubblewoop:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Humerus posted:

I've been meaning to call Google for a week or so, and decided to today. 15 minutes later and I've got a Pixel XL on its way to replace my 6P. I can't believe it, I was going to buy a Pixel 2 in a couple months, but I feel fine waiting for the Pixel 3 or maybe longer now.

Exact same situation for me. Can definitely wait till the Pixel 2 is cheaper, then have a backup phone.

Also double the internal storage of my 6P!

:bubblewoop:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

FedEx online said no signature needed, package with my brand new phone not delivered because... it needs a signature. :sigh:

Well at least I'll get to just play with my new phone all night tomorrow!

greasyhands posted:

Got a pixel 128gb through online chat. They must really have a huge problem with these 6p's. guess they are trying to placate the masses and avoid a lawsuit. It has been a huge pain in the rear end using this buggy phone for the last 2 years, but I guess this is a pretty decent consolation prize.

Exactly my thought too, like drat, they're really trying to avoid this class action suit, huh.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Worst they'll say is it's out of warranty, I say go for it! If its battery isn't the best either... :airquote:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anybody want a Nexus 6P case? Pay the shipping and it's yours, like grey with a geometric pattern on the back that's like a denim material. Dropped my phone tons of times and it withstood the punishment.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Chat on my PC.

So my new Pixel XL is great, except it can't connect reliably to my work's WiFi. None of the 7 networks. It sporadically, in very specific locations, can connect to the public WiFi, but it's poo poo. The other networks basically just get stuck.

What the gently caress? My Nexus 6P could connect no problem, anywhere, to any of the networks. It's not necessary for my job but it makes a project I'm currently undertaking much easier, and I just nearly threw my brand new phone against the wall in frustration. Does anyone have any tips or am I just SOL?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

If it's the issue with an interstitial page to get on the network not loading, you can potentially solve it by going directly to the page via IP address instead of by URL. That, or navigating to the default gateway by IP.

No there's no interstitial page, let me pull it up and I can give the details a little more accurately..

EAP method: PEAP
Phase 2 authentication: none
CA Certificate: Do not validate
Identity: My username
Anonymous identity: left blank
Password: self explanatory
Proxy: none
IP settings: DHCP

So those're the details my phone gives me when I select any of the networks(other than the public). I enter my username/password, it bumps me back to the wifi list where it shows the "Connecting..." underneath the selected network. Then it just kind of... doesn't do anything. It switches the network then to "Saved" and doesn't try to connect again. It never successfully connects. It refreshes the list every 10 seconds or something, still doesn't try to connect to any of the networks I've tried this on.

I tried deleting a bunch of older networks that got carried over when I transferred my Nexus' data, that didn't help. It can connect to the public network great in certain locations, mediocre in others. None of these areas really correlate with my Nexus' connectivity, where I basically could be connected to the public network anywhere in my workplace.

Molten Llama posted:

The courtesy Pixels are warranted for ~90 days. If the WiFi also doesn't work elsewhere, swap that poo poo out ASAP.

Nah it's fine everywhere else I've tested it(well I guess just my home network since I haven't had the phone long), but if this persists I'll probably contact Google to see what the skinny is. Thanks for the tip, though!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anybody else notice anything slightly wonky when in group text threads with non-Fi members? Apparently my texts were quite delayed in a thread just started today, but texting each individual in the group was no prob. :iiam:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tailored Sauce posted:

What app are you using?

Just Messages.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

bigman.50grand posted:

so the few of you who were lucky enough to score a Pixel as a replacement could flip it right back to Google for a pretty steep discount on a Pixel 2...

Argh I'm so tempted! I could flip the Google Home Mini thing too, for an even cheaper Pixel 2...

:circlefap:

Hope long are the pre-orders available? Gonna do some homework tonight..

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Rev posted:

I'm fairly certain I'll be going Google Fi when I upgrade my old LG G3 to a Pixel 2. Question though - If I'm currently on a family plan via Verizon (and not the owner of the plan), how easy/difficult would it be to transition my number off of Verizon and over to my own Fi account?

I feel like number transitioning has so many variables that are unknown that it's hard to comment on the feasibility of it. I know that's not a great answer, sorry, but I've just seen such randomness when it comes to people being able to port their numbers. For example, I couldn't port my old number with a 309 area code, but I've known a handful of people with the same area code who were able to do it, on various networks, so it's kind of a crapshoot.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Glass of Milk posted:

I dunno, I was really nice and asked what the reps were doing on the weekend and joking around and I got out of warranty replacements twice. Treating people like people, who knew?

Right? I had a really pleasant ComCast experience right before July 4th weekend where the dude and I just kinda shot the poo poo about our plans while his system did whatever it is it does. Even afterwards my partner poked her head out of our room and was like "were you really just chatting about fireworks and beer with the ComCast rep...?"

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

There's a free app that you can use to force switch carriers, so no need to worry about being stuck on a bad tower or anything.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Javid posted:

The carrier switching is pretty moronic, usually. It'll jump from a perfectly usable and fast 3.5 bars of Sprint to 3.6 bars of t-mobile for no goddamn reason and interrupt whatever you're doing while it does so, or jump onto a carrier with no service where you are for no clear reason. It needs more user control, like "ask before switching if the phone is in use" and "always be on $carrier when at $location"

Yeah no thanks.

I've only ever had issues with Fi not knowing whether to use wifi or the cell towers :shrug: And that seems to have been sorted out, was over a year ago.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Glad that it isn't just me that noticed a serious decrease in battery-life. :sigh:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone else's Gboard keyboard being really fucky lately? Mine isn't learning new words, has hosed up the word suggestions, and won't add spaces like it used to if i swipe out a word then type "a".

Reallllllllllllllly loving annoying.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

nocal posted:

I felt like I could save money and potentially get slightly better service

:thunk:

I'm glad you got that sorted out but, yeah, Sprint is awful.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

nocal posted:

See, I have only had to contact support two or three times -- just to set up initial service, and then when I was trying to switch carriers, and then when I was desperate to return to Fi. And each time the service was competent, bordering on great. It wasn't perfect, particularly the email/chat. But getting someone on the phone was easy, as they will call you rather than making you wait on hold. And the person was clearly semi-knowledgeable and located in America.

Part of trying to switch to Sprint, where I knew the service was way worse, was that I almost never contact the carrier for anything. Realistically the only time I ever need to contact them is perhaps 1 time per year when I buy a new phone. So, what does it matter if the service is bad? Well if you can't even get the drat service set up, then I guess there's the value in having competent service.

Yeah, I've never had a bad experience with their customer service. I got a Pixel XL replacement before everybody started swooping in to get their S6's replaced, and even when I tried (unsuccesfully) to port my Sprint number to Fi, I still had amazing customer service. Like, checking the "call me" option or whatever and I got a call within 15 minutes. :shrug:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

They updated the keyboard again, didn't they? loving hate when they do that, my poo poo is all out of whack now.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Javid posted:

Don't go Fi for their international coverage. They talk it up in their advertising but as soon as you have an issue, support can't remind you fast enough that international coverage is a courtesy, not a paid for feature.

Speaking of international coverage: how is Fi in Japan? I'm planning a trip for MY PARTNER and I next spring, hopefully it's decent enough I won't have to worry about it?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anybody been having texting issues lately? I use Messages, been receiving texts at weird, delayed intervals, and also having a larger-than-normal proportion of my texts non delivered.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pixel XL, Pie OS. I've only restarted the phone once, haven't forced any carrier switches, that's about it. It hasn't been a huge amount of texts, just more than normal in a short period of time :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nope, although just this nothing I got cut-off duplicate texts from a few days ago while on Sprint. Very weird!

Edit: on Sprint, text messages getting cut off and delay delivered again. Received one that said "2/2" then the text, but it was only a single text originally, and not an incredibly long one?

These texts were sent from an iPhone, dunno it that makes a difference. Just got delayed WhatsApp messages, too, it seems. Restarted the phone twice since I originally posted about it.

Edit 2: tried clearing the cache for Messages after poking around on the internet, maybe that'll help? Also forced to T-Mobile, both have decent enough reception, ~92dBm according to Fi Switch.

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 9, 2018