Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Ixian posted:

I don't think that is the primary use case though - for Google, anyway. I think they require service coverage in both areas because the entire basis of the agreement they worked out with the carriers is the service wouldn't be exclusive to one or the other. It's supposed to mix.

It makes less sense if Google doesn't care which carrier you're using while on Fi. If they don't have any kind of internal metric for kicking you off if you're using 90% of tmobiles service all the time, why would they care at sign up? It just seems like an odd contractual based obligation. If there's only 90/10 TMO/Sprint in Iowa, and I sign up in NY and then move to Iowa or visit, google doesn't care? I just can't create an account in Iowa? I'd be a little confused at that too.

It sounds more like the third party supplying tmo in that state is probably charging more for usage then tmobile directly so you can't sign up, but current users can still use service there at that cost to google...unless project fi just straight up stops working in that state.

They can stand to be a bit more clear about this kind of thing...that and if they will support multi band phones other then nexuses at any point (just a simple yes or no would be great guys)

Tatsujin posted:

I guess the only thing holding me back at this point is the GVoice number, but I guess I felt especially burnt by that since the whole reason I moved to using a Google Voice number several years ago was to avoid changing numbers and worrying about porting when going from carrier to carrier.

Waitttt, so you can't port the number back to google voice after? They offer that for 20 bucks..Now I'm even more confused. I figured the only thing you lose is the voice app, which has everything in hangouts anyway functionally. You "port" your number to fi, lose google voice app access, but then could port the number back to voice if you cancel fi, and then port it over to a carrier later...am I wrong?

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU