Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Javid posted:

So what is the point of that other than overpaying for t-mobile? The network switching is the only redeeming feature that makes pay-per-gig worth it to me.
Is T-Mobile really that cheap? I just switched from an iPhone on AT&T to a Pixel 3 on Fi and I'm saving like $60 a month. $20 + gigs seems as cheap as possible for cell plans these days, but then again I was on an $85 AT&T plan for the past 10 years so maybe I'm just out of the loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FogHelmut posted:

15 gb doesn't seem like much when you get into actual internet usage vs streaming a few songs or looking at Instagram. A weekend without wifi puts my phone into the 3gb range.
15GB of mobile data per month is an extreme edge case for 90% of the population. It might not work for you but it's certainly not stingy.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Cromlech posted:

Hi guys, I am dumb. I have a cellphone number under my family's ATT plan. What do I do in advance to port my number? Will i be phoneless for a few days?
There's a form online where you can get everything ready.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The form is somewhere on the Fi page it'll say something like "get ready to switch numbers" but if you already have your phone as soon as you boot it up it should ask you to select a carrier (Fi) and ask if you're porting a number. The only thing the form does is automatically pull the data you already put in it.

The page says it could take 2-3 days for your calls/texts to switch over to your new device but for me (coming from AT&T) it took like 20 minutes.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dilber posted:

Does anyone here have experience with the call quality getting shittier?

I swapped over to Fi from ATT, and my call quality has gone through the floor. Everything sounds tinny, and volume doesn't seem to equalize correctly. I'm on a Pixel 3 XL, and had zero issues with this before.
What phone did you have before? It might have been doing some VOIP wizardry before.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sounds like a Google account issue more than anything else.

All I know is that I get decent cell service and now my phone bill is $30 a month instead of $90 and I also got a brand new phone.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hope I actually get $490 worth of credit.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Like 30 seconds.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
FedEx once left a $2500 iMac with my neighbor from across the hall who I had never interacted with in my entire life. Probably didn't want to have to carry it back down the stairs.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've never had an issue with data but maybe I don't use my phone as much as most people.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I haven't exactly shopped around much lately but my bill is exponentially cheaper on Fi than I was paying previously. $30/m compared to something like $90/m on AT&T. My usage is pretty bare bones but I can't imagine you could find a comparable no strings $30 a month plan on one of the major telecoms.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Where do you find the hidden bootleg deals like that? Cheapest I can find on AT&T front facing store is $50 for 3GB.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
SMS is absolute garbage. iMessage is really slick and RCS is decent in the admittedly limited scope I've used it. Tech companies need to quit being so lazy with poo poo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I could believe that maybe 8+ years ago when they still made a hefty chunk off of SMS/MMS but nowadays it's so baked into every phone plan and it's all unlimited that I doubt they care. Hell, you could roll out RCS and still charge people $10/m for SMS service and they likely wouldn't know the difference.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Because that's antithetical to the point of Android.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If it makes you feel any better the Pixel 4 looks pretty underwhelming so a cheap P3 seems like a pretty good deal if you like the phones.

That said, the P3 went on huge discount like 2 months after it came out last year so that might also happen with the 4.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
😴

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah that's what I did with my Pixel 3 deal last year. The credit takes off your entire bill and then you're just left with the monthly device payment so it was a year of $25 bills followed by a year of $45 bills.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Johnny Truant posted:

Ah what the poo poo, where's my lower right square button thing on this 3a!?

Edit: ooh gently caress me it's just a swipe now, aight 3a, I can gently caress with that.
You're now using the superior version of Android. Enjoy.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nice. That'll go great on the shelf next to the free Google Nest Mini I got from Spotify.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Getting the free thing is always worth it, especially when it takes 4 seconds of clicking on a button.

Trying to resell it doesn't seem worth it at all, no. Just enjoy it or give it away or something.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Home Mini (the one that was free with Spotify a few months ago) is terrible but allegedly the speaker on the Nest Mini is slightly improved. I guess we'll see.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
3a doesn't have wireless charging which is a bit of a bummer but it has the nice OLED screen which is pretty unheard of at that price range and also the purple looks good. If they were the same price I'd probably still go with the refurb though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think it's great. I've never had it screen a call that was an actual human trying to get in contact with me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FogHelmut posted:

It happened twice and I turned that poo poo off.

Like actual humans trying to get in contact with me. People I'm working with, not in my contacts.

Did you have it set up correctly? It's only supposed to screen calls if they're suspected spam numbers. If a number isn't in your contacts but it just a regular number it should go through.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Fi is still way cheaper than basically any other provider for me, but I've also never aggressively shopped around and use very little data since I'm usually always on wifi. I think my bill is about $23 per month.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm not sure if it's specifically Black Friday but Pixels usually go on deep discount with Fi in October/November.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Seeing people post mobile 5G speed test results and just thinking "that would cost me $6 run on my Google Fi plan" lol.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm guessing maybe it's just a carrier thing. Depending on which carrier you happen to be connected to, some will allow call initiation via wifi and some don't.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Uhh Google Fi isn't an actual carrier. It's an MVNO that connects you to other providers' cell towers. Depending on your location that could be T-Mobile, Sprint, or US Cellular.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Anybody use Fi with an iPhone? What's the experience like?

Thinking about going from a Pixel 3 which has served me well to a 12 Mini, but I'm hesitant because Google has kinda got their claws in me with all the added services. The automatic call screening is a big one which I'm not sure if I want to give up.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Uthor posted:

Having to do this was a deal breaker. I shouldn’t have to babysit a network for the money I was paying.
What were you paying? Isn't the whole point of Fi that it's cheap?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is there a way to add a new unlocked iPhone to an existing Fi plan with an eSIM? All the tutorials I see online seem to describe selecting the iPhone option while signing up for a new Fi account, and using the Fi app on my phone currently doesn't show the option for eSIM (even though it's a compatible device). I don't mind just getting a physical SIM but I was hoping to avoid it just for convenience sake.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Wireless charging requires a glass body, which the A versions eschew to hit a cheaper price point.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I owned a Pixel for 3 years and never heard of it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Do it! I think the 13 Mini starts at $600 now which is a pretty decent price. I swapped (back) to iPhone while staying on Google Fi about 6 months ago and I've been really happy with it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You have to use the Google Fi app for voicemails, but they’re still saved and transcribed just like they would be on iOS default. I’m not sure there’s anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Same.