Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm dropping republic wireless for google fi and it was really easy to move over. The number port took about 15 minutes. Updating this nexus 6 from the shipped version of lollipop to marshmallow on the other hand is taking hours. Fi is about $5 more per month but I don't have to rely on the provider for android updates and so far it's been a better experience. I basically needed a service with wifi calling and wanted a nexus phone so I guess I'm set now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Darkpriest667 posted:

I thought this month it was no longer invite only.

I'm not sure if it's related to the month, but after I went to request an invite it said "you are from a select group that's pre-approved and can join immediately" or somesuch, it's not a direct quote but that was the gist of it. It seems unlikely that they'd randomly pre-approve gmail users so it's more likely that invitations are a formality.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've been on google fi for just over a week and I still got the fi branded lego set holiday gift. Pretty cool! At first I figured it was some off-brand lego but the pegs on the bricks all say fi so they actually had custom molds made and everything. I mean, it's still off-brand lego but it's Fi branded.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I haven't had many problems on 6.0.1 on Fi with the Nexus 6 (which I also got on the black friday amazon deal). The most recent was one where the Play Store kept telling me Background Data was off and it needed to be on for the Play Store to work. It was on, it was just bugged, but clearing cache and data for the play store (as well as force stopping it) fixed it up. Other than occasional bluetooth weirdness it's been pretty solid. I'm on build MMD29S.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

YouTuber posted:

I'm wondering if my Nexus 6 is just not primed for Google Fi. The official images for Android 6.0 and Google Fi do not work. So I rolled back to 5 using one of the Google Fi images. Google Fi then works and it pushes me an update for Android 6. I download it and when it reboots it runs for maybe 1/5th of the bar before it throws an error.

Mine has been fine on Marshmallow and I've only had it since December. Maybe your phone has a hardware problem?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kaleidoscopic Gaze posted:

Upgrade buddy! I'm moving up from a hosed up Nexus 4 on T-mobile as well. It's $10/month more, but having an additional network to choose from sounds awesome.

Does Fi's network switching take only speed into account, or QOS (latency, dropped packets) as well?

It seems to mostly take signal strength into account. When I was in a convention center for PAX South, the T-Mobile connection was stronger so my phone tried to use it primarily but it was horribly lagged out and basically unusable because of all the other nerds also using their phones. Using the Signal Spy app with its dialer codes allowed me to force it over to Sprint which worked a lot better despite not having as many bars.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CrapFish posted:

I'm using a ported Google voice number and coming from an Android phone. People on other phones that aren't an iPhone aren't getting my messages either.

I'd get in touch with Fi support, they seem to be really good.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tots posted:

I have to say, I just got Comcast because I'm moving and holy poo poo they have hotspots EVERYWHERE. Fully expecting my Fi bill to be lower this month.

Yeah if you rent your equipment from comcast they put a second AP on your modem/router that's xfinity wifi. Apparently it's sectioned off from your LAN but it basically lets them turn everyone's house into a wifi hotspot.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Takoluka posted:

I didn't know about this modem thing, and now I definitely want to replace mine. What's a good off-the-shelf modem for Comcast?

It depends on what services you have:
https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/list-of-approved-cable-modems/

Stop by the home networking megathread if you need a hand.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Last week I used SignalSpy to switch my connection manually due to spotty reception at home (internet and power were out due to trees down and sprint was handling the bad connection better than T-Mobile, which my phone preferred to stay on). Today I tried to get to the same dialer codes and found they're only in SignalSpy Pro which is $2. I bought it because there's a definite need for it sometimes, but it kind of sucks that they moved a useful feature from the stock app to the paid version.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Uthor posted:

You can set up the buttons in the notification to switch to different carriers. When you tap them, it copies the code to your clipboard and opens the dialer. Paste the code and it switches carriers. That's how I've been doing it with the free version.

I think the Pro version eliminates the copy and paste steps.

I had that with the free version until I tried it today where it became unavailable. Switching to Pro works for me since the non-rooted dialer codes work the same and there's more of them now (including US Cellular and Auto as well as Sprint and T-Mobile and "Next" like before), it just seemed like the option to switch for free vanished recently, even though it's not mentioned on the "what's new" for the 7/27 update.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I don't know which is preferred but my dad got the official google one. It's expensive but it looks nice and he hasn't broken it so far. I'm just using a dztronic on my Nexus 6 which is boring but was a lot cheaper (like $9 instead of $35).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

couldcareless posted:

I just got my pixel today and activated on Fi porting from Sprint. Everything went super fine. Question for everyone else that went through the same process: do I still need to call Sprint and cancel service? Logging into the sprint site seems to show I no longer have a device or service, which would be correct.

Usually after you port the previous provider terminates your account automatically.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Uncle Ivan posted:

I would be perfectly happy if Fi were just 100% T-Mobile for me with the Hangouts SMS integration and the free international roaming. Every time my data speeds go to poo poo, I check my network and it's because it switched to Sprint for some reason.

You can force it to t-mobile with dialing codes if you want to.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/project-fi/IkOy8ZGNyPk

quote:

Force Jump to T-Mobile: *#*#34866#*#*

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bloodplay it again posted:

RIP 6P.

Starting sometime last year, my phone was dying at 15% battery, but I made sure to keep it charged pretty constantly--it wasn't much of a hindrance. Dropped my girlfriend off at work this morning and my phone died at about 40% battery life. Totally unable to get to the home screen unless the battery is at least at 30%, in which case it lasts a few minutes and then shuts off. Just spent an hour with Fi support and they basically told me to take a flying gently caress talk to Huawei. Spent a while on hold with them only to be told to contact the place of purchase (Google). Now I can't tell whether I should be more frustrated with myself for not getting it fixed last year or mad at all the damned Android blogs that said "HEY THEY'RE GIVING AWAY PIXELS!!!!" and killed the only real chance I had of getting decent support.

I originally went with Fi because our phone bills dropped from ~$120/mo to $40/mo, but if we have to buy $650+ phones every 12-24 months, we're not actually saving any money. My girlfriend has a 5X and we all know it's just gonna start boot looping any day now. I hate to say it because I like that cheap bill and haven't ever really had issues with service, but if Google's support is unwilling to help (the dude just kept telling me to either trade in the 6P for credit towards a new phone or finance a new one :rolleyes: ) we're gonna have to dump em and go to T-Mobile.

Would replacing the battery improve it or is it reading the voltage level in the lipo incorrectly?
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+6P+Teardown/51660

My Nexus 6 is starting to run out of juice when it thinks the battery is at 20% but it's just over two years old so I'm planning to replace the battery soon.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MohShuvuu posted:

Is there a way to start a Fi plan in Canada? Compared to the plans that exist here ($100/month), I'd rather figure out a way to get Fi here and pay the exchange rate instead.

This guy did it but it seems involved since you have them ship the sim to a US address:
http://canadiankilometers.boardingarea.com/2017/06/30/google-project-fi-canada-review/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's going to depend where you go since they have to have a deal with the providers there to handle your phone's SIM card from Fi. They list 170 countries right now:
https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6157794?hl=en

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

G6 is not great and may be worse than the X4 according to the android thread:

FistEnergy posted:

Moto G6 reviews are trickling out

https://m.androidcentral.com/moto-g6-review

There's some positives here, but noticeable UI and camera lag out of the box on a Snapdragon 450 would make me pass on it. It's only going to get slower over time. Why in the world did they downgrade the processor from the G5?

There's a lot of competition at $200 now and Moto isn't trying to win the category.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Just sell some plasma for a new pixel. I bought a refurbished one because I ran out of blood.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Deathlove posted:

Phone took a bath yesterday and it's not turning on, despite my best efforts with rice and such. So, I can't access my authenticator, which means I can't get into my account, so Fi support won't talk to me to get a new phone. this tablet I'm in is miraculously signed into Hangouts, so I can get texts, but I never get the one sent to me from Google. Any thoughts on how to shortcut this process? I think I'm just SOL until Google unlocks my account?

If you dunked your phone in water and only left it in some rice overnight, it's still going to be super wet inside and you shouldn't try turning it on. You'd do best to put it in with some silica gel or something way more absorbent in a sealed bag for longer. It may also just be fried. I'd consider disassembling it to get all the moisture out but obviously that will require a bit of work. There's a website called ifixit that has a lot of guides for different phones.

I'd call google fi support and see if they can authenticate you another way over the phone since I'd imagine wrecking a phone isn't unusual:
Project Fi/Customer service
855-836-3987

They'll probably require a lot more information since your two factor won't work.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mikeycp posted:

Hey I'm signing up for Fi in the next day or so. Anybody for a referral code they wanna throw me? I have PMs

PMed you a referral code if I'm not too late.

As an aside, my elderly father managed to turn off wifi on his phone for... maybe two months or so. Bill protection capping at $60 really saved him.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So I somehow broke the back glass cover for my camera on the X4 despite having a case. What's a really cheap way to fix this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Back-Rear-Camera-Glass-Lens-Cover-Replacement-For-Motorola-Moto-X4-X-4th-Gen/292484109103
+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoYLvmcVSWY

I'd use plastic spudgers for most of that instead of a matting knife but that guy isn't too worried about it. Make sure you move the heat gun around so you're not just blasting one spot with 750 or 1000 degree heat.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

effika posted:

Coming from Sprint, Project Fi can't be worse than what I have already, right? I was looking at T-Mobile and then my new Pixel 3 reminded me Fi exists.

My only concern is that I have to work large crowded events (think division 1 college football games) and while Sprint post-paid hasn't failed me in a while at those (they started bringing COWs to help), my employees on MVNOs have trouble sometimes.

Have you experienced many issues with congestion and getting de-prioritized on the tower?

The only issue I've had with Fi was when I was at PAX South in a crowded convention center. I had to use signal spy to push it off the stronger but more hosed up carrier onto the lower signal but actually usable one. I can't remember which one was working and which wasn't anymore but I was using Signal Spy to manually switch between T-Mobile and Sprint or vice-versa.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My Nexus 5X is crawling along like a dying dog so I double checked the Fi store to make sure they still had that Moto G6 I wanted for $200. They didn't but instead had it for $99 :woop:

My girlfriend and I have also been discussing a phone for the 11 year old, and we decided to pull the trigger on this, having decided a bit ago to just put her on my account and limit data usage when possible. Wanted to buy the phone now in case the price went back up Tuesday or whenever.

I say that because I'm not 100% sure what happens. We bought it through my Google account so I assume that when I get it, we just add the stepdaughter's Gmail account to mine, and register the phone? Is it just that simple?

It looks like there's a Family Link app for children under 13 according to their group plan directions:
https://support.google.com/fi/answer/7131470?hl=en

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Don't worry, you can turn on your phone's wifi hotspot and connect the tablet to that to waste your data on dumb games.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The Fi support team says they'll refund the $199 purchase price of my Nexus 5X. I thought about holding out for confirmation that they'll refund the sales tax too, but I'm so tired of this I'll give up that sweet $15 or so if they can just get this dumb poo poo over with.

Before they'll do the refund though, they first need the "secret code" from my Fi account. I think this is to make sure someone hasn't hijacked my email, but... the email I have for my Fi contact information is the Gmail address of the Google account that i'm signed up to Fi with. I don't know how this would prevent fraud except in the case that I'm somehow signed into Gmail but not Fi on a machine that an attacker had access to?

Anyway, I respond to the email asking me for the secret code, with, uh, an email containing the secret code. I noticed when I clicked the "get secret code" button (on my Fi web dashboard) that under the generated code was some text saying "this code is valid for 30 minutes". I had the thought of "wait, if a support person doesn't get to my email in 30 minutes, will the code be invalid then?" but I decided that any system where something like that could happen would make zero sense from a business workflow perspective, so clearly if they were asking for the code over email, the system must work in such a way that a support person can still validate the code after the 30 minute window. Guess what happened next? I spent an entire afternoon mailing security codes and getting back very apologetic "we are so sorry but we're very busy right now and by the time I got to your email the code had expired, can you send a new one?"

me irl: :psyduck:

I'm in awe of how stupid that is.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

fknlo posted:

So I've started to get a somewhat regular "SIM not provisioned for voice" message that seems like it might have started around the same time I started having to manually switch off Sprint while at work.

I'd hit up support, if it's a bad sim they'll send you out a new one quickly.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hirayuki posted:

My son just got his first phone, and since mine is paid off, I figure it's a good time to leave my folks' Verizon family plan and start a new Fi group plan. I didn't realize until I started signing up for Fi that it was so tied to GV, and I'd like to run my game plan past this thread before I do anything stupid:

My son's phone is unlocked and has no number of its own. I have a GV account with a :krad: number that includes my son's name. I got it a while back with the intention of passing it off to him someday and don't use it much--mostly school-related texts. I'd like to transfer it to him to be his phone number under Fi; he wouldn't need a separate GV number, so I think we're okay there.
Meanwhile, I'd still like my own GV number, so I intend to sign up for one using my second, more work-oriented Google account (which is mostly used for Gmail) and keep using that for school texts, etc. It should be pretty painless apart from directing people to use the new number. (And any stragglers would just wind up at my son's phone.)
Then I would port my existing number from Verizon to my current phone; ideally, this part should feel no different than switching to AT&T or T-Mobile or what have you in terms of my phone retaining the same number, but with a different carrier.
In the end, my son would have his phone with a personalized number, I'd have my phone with my same number, and I'd have a new GV account unattached to either phone to catch stray texts.

Does that sound right? Thanks in advance for your help.

That's similar to my setup (except for not having a child). I have google voice tied to one of my google accounts and Fi to a different one. The only downside to that setup is that you can't use the Google Fi number as the google voice cell phone number to be tied to. It still gives me notifications for texts and calls via the google voice app on the phone, though, so it's not a huge deal. I have a third number that I've just been using Ting for because it usually gets a couple of texts a month and I rarely leave the house with it, so it's typically 3 or 6 bucks, but the second line on Fi makes more sense for full usage.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hirayuki posted:

So you log into GV with your secondary, non-Fi Google account and set up your GV forwarding (if necessary) to any number but your Fi number. Right? That should work for us. Thanks!

That reminds me: I imagine Fi voicemail is pretty similar or even identical to GV; I've been using GV as my VM handler for ages now, rather than the default Verizon app. Removing my number from Verizon and registering it with Google directly should eliminate the middleman and make that part of it a seamless transition. (I don't use my cellphone for voice calls much, but that doesn't stop people who don't know any better from calling and leaving a message. Same goes for texts, actually--hence the GV account keeping all that at a remove.)

Yeah, it's as you described. The voicemail on my phone app is basically the same as google voice in that there's the nice auto-transcribe and whatnot.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FogHelmut posted:

My Google Fi VPN IP address is in Mexico today.

Here is the one from Canada

Your phone took a nice vacation.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Uthor posted:

https://fi.google.com/about/phones/pixel-4a-5g

I see that one can get a 4a5G for $300 on Fi, but it's for new customers. If I had a Fi account years ago, would I be considered a new customer or a returning one?

I clicked through one page and it asked about "reactivating" my account, so I'm not sure which it is.

You could always make another google account if you want to be a new customer (well, maybe, I don't know if they cross reference names and addresses), but existing customers get $150 off the 4a 5G, so
it's $349. I actually just bought it to upgrade from my Pixel 1.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

How do you feel about this? I have a pixel 1 and am considering it, but am worried I will hate it being even bigger. I'm considering the non-5g version because it's 5.8" vs 6.2" but both seem way too big. The pixel one is a little big as it is at 5".

I owned a Nexus 6 before the Pixel and while I liked the Pixel overall, I thought it could be a little bit bigger. I know that the Nexus 6 made my Nexus 7 tablet less useful since it felt large enough to watch youtube or streams, but the pixel feels a little small for it. The only reason I didn't get the Pixel XL was because I bought mine as scratch and dent from woot for a couple hundred bucks knowing I'd have to fix it myself (and I did replace the battery, and broke the screen doing it, so then I had to replace that, too). They didn't have the XL on that sale.

So after the Nexus 6, I know I like larger phones, and I found the main downside was that it takes longer to get it out of jeans pocket. However, I also got into wearing smart watches while I owned the Nexus 6. I don't think it was a consequence of the larger phone but it does help to see if it is worthwhile to get my phone out to take or reject a call, or see who a text or email was from and get the title of emails. I also like using it as a paired device for smart lock and seeing the weather on my wrist.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got the Pixel 4a 5G today and it's interesting that despite being about the same screen size as the Nexus 6, it's smaller. Most of that is due to the bezel being almost nonexistant, but also it's 2340x1080 vs. 2560x1440 from the Nexus 6. They're about the same height but the Pixel 4a 5G is like 2 3/4" across vs. a little over 3" for the Nexus 6. I think that will make it easier to get into and out of a pocket, but it won't have the same native resolution as the 27" monitor on my PC. Sacrifices must be made, I guess.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got the Spigen tough armor case which came in today, and while it does bulk it up a little the phone is still just a little wider than the Pixel 1, just tall! So far it's working well, and the weird bug with the Pebble Time smart watch eating its battery with the Pixel 1 (post android 9) doesn't happen when it's synced to the 4a 5G. Guess I'll just use this watch forever.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BrownieVK posted:

I have a Pixel 3a now thats in great condition, will I notice any kind of benefit from grabbing a 4a 5G? They are on sale for $349 for existing customers which is a great deal.

It's got a slightly newer CPU and 2GB more RAM but I don't know if it's something you'd notice day to day. It's a 6.2" phone though so it's bigger. If that's appealing it might be worth it but otherwise I'd probably wait for the 6a if there is such a thing (which is about when your phone will stop getting android updates, after three years). 5G is pretty much a gimmick unless you're near enough to use it, and then you could blow through your data cap in minutes.

3a specs:
https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_3a_specs

4a 5G specs:
https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a_5g_specs

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

frogge posted:

I'm pretty sure I bricked my pixel 1 by dropping it. I've gotten a black screen and the buttons/fingerlock are non-responsive. I've tried to do restarts, hard restarts, get into the boot menu, etc., but it's just a black screen. No vibrations, noises, or flashing lights or whatever. I wanna say I had 40~50% charge so the battery wasn't dead.

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to get data/photos off of a pixel that won't turn on? Is that something a repair shop would even do? I was going to upgrade anyways and I'd like to try and get my stuff off of it before I try trading it in.

First I'd check what's already backed up on google drive/google photos from a computer so you can be sure you need it. As for recovering the phone, it probably depends what's broken. I took mine apart to replace the battery and managed to crack the screen behind the glass (they mean it when they say don't go more than .5mm in on each edge to cut the glue). I replaced the battery and then the broken screen and still managed to damage one of the microphones somehow so I had to use speakerphone or a bluetooth headset for a few months. If you damaged the mainboard all of your data is stored on the flash memory on it and it's probably encrypted. If you broke something else then it could be possible to replace it. One idea is a USB-C dock hooked up to a monitor so you get some kind of display but if there's something broken on the mainboard or the connector to the daughterboard then it might not work.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanatosian posted:

I'm about to start a new job, they don't provide a cell phone but I'm expected to be available via cell phone. Is it possible to set up a Google Voice number to be a second number to contact my personal cell phone, preferably one I could set a different ringer/text tone for?

How would you be available by cell phone if you didn't have one and they don't provide one? They are definitely fuckers if they won't give you a phone or phone allowance and expect you to be available by cell. Anyway, you can use google voice but you cannot use the phone number of a google fi phone to be the linked to number on your google voice. You can keep the google voice app on your google fi phone and see that there have been calls or voicemails to it but I'm not sure it will actively ring. I'm not certain but I also believe you can't use the same google account for both for some reason (I may be wrong about this one). I have a second cell phone number on Ting so I just use that as my google voice forwarded number and just have to hit skip in the google voice app on my google fi phone when it wants to link voice to that phone number. I just get notified about voicemails and can make calls on voice but don't seem to be able to answer them on my Fi phone.

It's kind of frustrating that google can't make these two services work together better.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanatosian posted:

While I don't disagree, it's close to a six-figure salary, I think the assumption is you can afford a cell phone at that point (not worth pitching a fit over, probably just add a line to my Google Fi plan).

Yeah, a second line makes sense in that case.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DrBouvenstein posted:

FYI, I think this is no longer the case.

Last year I tried to switch to Fi, and was told I had to either lose my GV number, or port it to Fi to use as my new "main" carrier number.

I tried the port and it failed after like 5 or 6 tries over the course of the month, so I gave up on Fi since the GV number is the one I use for almost everything (I only use my carrier number for a few 2-factor things that can't use an authenticator app basically.)

But I looked again last week and they've changed that policy, so I am in the process of porting my old carrier number, but I will still have my GV number.

I got the new Moto G Power cause it's on sale and also has a bill credit, though I might not get that since I'm not technically a new customer, a returning one? We'll see. Regardless, has to be better than my old Pixel 3a with a broken screen, crummy battery life, and random reboots.

Oh wow you're right:
https://support.google.com/fi/thread/54962217?hl=en

quote:

Google Voice and Google Fi Now Work Together

Hello everyone,

We are excited to share Google Voice now works with Google Fi.

Moving forward, you can have separate Fi & Voice numbers on the same Google account. You can use the two numbers for different purposes, such as one for family & friends and the other for business. To receive calls in one central place, set up call forwarding on the Google Voice settings page.

If you would like to move your Fi number back to Google Voice and get a new Fi number, you can follow the instructions here.

This feature starts rolling out today and will be available to everyone in the upcoming days.
__

More questions? Check out our FAQ page, or let us know here!

Thanks,
Charlotte, Google Fi Community Manager
Details
Service and Coverage, Start discussion / Share a tip

That will make things easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FogHelmut posted:

In my experience, Fi putting me on Sprint towers has been rare, and also very noticeable because my connection suddenly turns to crap. So I force back to T-Mobile with Signal Spy, because oddly there's a better T-Mobile signal right there anyway.

I don't think I've ever been to a state that has US Cellular.

I mean, 5 years ago Fi was the cheapest value. But now, Mint is just giving away data like it's Europe or something. I'm often in that 3 gigabyte range where Fi is no longer competitive, and other carriers have caught up with the perks, and Fi doesn't give the Pixel discounts it did early on.

The mint plans are decent but I was happy to get the Pixel 4a 5G for $349 on black friday weekend and finance it for 0% through fi. I think the google store will also finance stuff but it's not bad to just have it on my bill. Also I regularly see my phone switch from sprint to t-mobile but I've only seen US Cellular when I was road tripping from TX to PA.