Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm switching from the T-Mobile nerd plan to this when my 6P gets here.

Darkpriest667 posted:

It also will work in 120 countries, data is free
Only if by free you mean the same. No additional charges above the normal $10/GB, but it is still $10/GB.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn't it way more expensive than the nerd plan? The t-mo nerd plan is $30/mo for 5GB of data, that same amount of data would be $70/mo on Fi if you actually use your 5GB of data data every month.

If you use less, I see Fi being a better deal, but it seems like a huge no-go for those who use >2GB/mo of data.
I average around 1GB of actual usage since I'm almost always on wifi, so it ends up being the same $30. And actually, my Nexus 4 is terrible about actually staying connected to wifi, so it is possible with better wifi connectivity my data usage will go down and I could pay even less.

And in addition I get unlimited voice and the ability to use the Sprint network in the non-trivial amount of places near me where T-Mobile doesn't have coverage.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Humerus posted:

Has anyone that ordered a 6P through Fi received it yet? Getting kind of pissed seeing all these people who ordered in the last few days getting their phones while my three week old order has been "processing" for a week.

Yes, received it Friday.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

My understanding is that it only decides which one is stronger initially, and doesn't switch unless it loses connection. So you would be on T-Mobile in your room with no Sprint, but you wouldn't switch to Sprint just because it is stronger unless you lose Sprint.

Or is this not the case?

At least this was my understanding why there are apps to check which network you are on / force a switch.

I have my 6P and Fi sim, just waiting for my last month of T-Mobile prepay to end.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I got the Diztronic

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

Just as I was about to try to configure something with Tasker, I found that if you log into your Project Fi account and scroll all the way to the bottom, you'll see a link for Google Voice. Click on that, go to the settings icon, and in the voicemail and calls section, you'll see little check boxes where you can re-enable this functionality!

Oh wow! I was wondering why my Google Voice extension suddenly started showing me voicemail transcriptions. I logged into Google Voice and a whole lot of functionality is back. More importantly to me, all the texts that I had received for years are once again accessible. I hadn't realized I'd lose them when I switched, but now I have them back! New texts aren't showing up, though, nor does any calls since switching. Still neat to have so much back.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I actually just switched to hangouts fully, and I really like it because now I'm able to receive and send txts from Hangouts on my computer. Which was what I used to always do with Google Voice, so now that I've switched I like it. The thing that I missed to start was that in addition to switching Hangouts to be my default SMS application, I also had to enable SMS delivery entirely via Hangouts instead of via carrier. It does mean I won't receive txts if I don't have data, which isn't a negligible downside, but I can live with it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I don't know why you are having issues. I use the Chrome Hangouts app. Clink the phone icon at the bottom of the left panel and you have all your contacts. Search by name at the top, click SMS on their name in the results.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Valicious posted:

I've heard doing something with Google Voice is a popular idea? What's all that about? I've never looked into it before, but one comment about it having better call clarity caught my attention.

Your question is pretty vague, but Project Fi pretty much replaces Google Voice on your google account. What comment do you mean?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Arris/Motorola SB6141

Only has 8 downstream channels meaning it's already obsolete for some packages, no? It maxes out at 100 down on TWC, you have to have 16 downstream for higher (at least on TWC).

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I had a really bad time trying to use Fi on a recent trip to Alaska.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

topenga posted:

Ah gently caress. What kinds of problems? I'm headed there in a few days.

It kept switching to T-Mobile (actually GCI I think) and giving no data connection. When I forced Sprint it would give data sometimes, but sometimes not and often very slow compared to the strength and connection type. And then of course it would just switch right back to T-Mobile since the Sprint connection was crappy and I'd have nothing. I had to constantly fight it to get online and get anything to load.

I do all my texting through hangouts as well so I missed txts.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hangouts Setting -> Account Settings -> Gmail account you use with Fi -> Enable Messages under Project Fi calls and SMS

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6188337

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

No audio quality complaints here.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

alnilam posted:

Okay so I'm leaning towards Fi. I have a question about porting numbers if anyone happens to know the answer.

I'm semi excited about the prospect of choosing my own number (choosing a google voice number, then getting Fi and porting my google voice number). I haven't decided for sure yet though, I might want to keep my old number to avoid having to tell everyone about my new number.

Anyway my actual question is this: suppose I decide someday that I don't like Fi, but I've already told everyone my new number. Can I port my new number to another carrier? Or is that number locked to Fi forever, since it was a google voice number?

You can port out of both Google Voice and Project Fi. What I would do in your situation would be port your old number to a separate Google Voice account and forward to Fi. At least I think Google will let you forward from one Voice account to a separate Fi account.

Actually, the way I do it is I have my main number ported to Project Fi, and the rest of my collection of DID's live on voip.ms and forward to Fi. In terms of choosing your own number, voip providers are other place to look for novelty numbers besides what Google Voice has available as well.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So long, Fi.

There were a few times where having three different available networks was super handy, but more often than that your poor network switching, even using apps like FiSwitcher, left me with no or poor service on a bad network when a better network was available.
There were a few months that I was on wifi so often that I managed to pay less than the $30 I was paying on the T-Mobile nerd plan, but more often than that even with being data stingy I ended up paying more.
There were a few times that I loved the Nexus 6P as a phone, but then I had to get it replaced twice for the early shutdown issue, and the one I finally settled on is the worst refurb job I've ever had, with the front glass sticking out on the right to the point that sometimes I have to squeeze it in to get the buttons to work.
There were a few times that Fi support seemed like super educated people who knew just the solution to a problem I had, but hoo boy I have no idea how so many people didn't know about the issues with the 6P since the service supports so few phones and it was a major issue.

Most of the features I liked I'll still have via Google Voice, and hey, Sprint is giving away a free year of unlimited service.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

I called too early looks like. I only got my 6P replaced. No upgrade for me. :(

Are you sure your replacement isn't having the same issue hint hint?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

FunOne posted:

128gb XL on the way

Johnny Truant posted:

Also double the internal storage of my 6P!

Now I somehow feel disappointed that my free upgrade is still 32GB just like my 6P.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Side note: the Project Fi financing never showed up on my credit report. At least, it didn't show up for TransUnion or Equifax...not sure about Experian. I assume that they must have made a "hard" credit check, but I never saw anything about it on the services I use to monitor my credit reports.
Hard pull Experian for me. Also didn't report as a trade line.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Correct

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Oh wow, my Pixel XL is brand new in box. I had always gotten refurb 6Ps before.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm barely noticing a difference but it really is nice for my phone to still be on when the battery is at 2% instead of rushing for my battery pack at 15%.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Somehow, my replacement phone got sent to a previous address of mine. I have my service address set correctly, and I confirmed that address to the chat-support tech, but apparently those two things don't guarantee a correct shipping address. I may have missed some step where the old address was auto-populated into some form field, and I'll be able to swing by and pick the package up from the old address, but man it is definitely irritating.

It ships to Google Play billing address, not Fi service address, easy to miss that you hadn't updated it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

imo this is an extremely pedantic and cowardly way to try and defend lovely customer service personnel. if a rep doesn't know how to work a computer system in order to solve problems that should be solved, they are bad at their job, end of story. there is no need to try and put some kind of industry-insider fig leaf over this fact

It is usually the customer that is lovely. I too have worked in a similar position and I'm here to tell you that "the system won't let me" really often means it is a matter of policy not to do something even if the rep knows how to work around the computer restriction. And sometimes "the system won't let me" means "gently caress you rear end in a top hat, you don't know how to speak to a service worker so I ain't doing poo poo to help you if I can get away with it on a QA review." I would bend over backwards and bend all sorts of company policies to help polite customers, which includes doing a fair amount of massaging the computer to work around company implemented restrictions. But if you are a dick to me, like telling me I'm bad at my job, I'll gladly follow the letter of policy and do the absolute minimum I possibly can to help you.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

bull3964 posted:

an overloaded tower on Sprint simply because that signal is stronger than T-Mobile right then.

This is certainly a thing that I've experienced, and yes there are apps that can force you to switch, but it can be a constant struggle in some areas.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

IAmKale posted:

It's weird to me that Hangouts is usable for SMS if you're on Fi, but not as an SMS handler for non-Fi users. I guess with Fi being able to handle SMS and phone calls over the internet they're able to integrate better into Hangouts? :iiam:
I use it for SMS with my Google Voice number.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I just left my number with Google Voice when I left Fi.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

On the Google Fi Unlimited plan, do you drop to something like 2G after 22 gigs or are you just deprioritized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Wait, the preorders this month won't ship until October?