Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So I have a 4 year old smartphone, no contract, I pay per month on T-mobile with the nerd plan. How hard is it switching to the 5X with this deal? Normally you would just switch the SIM card but this phone uses a different card, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My plan was to switch to Fi; smartphones are still fairly new to me so what info is on the SIM card? Do I just call up Google when I get the phone and say I want to transfer my number?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My Nexus 5X is crawling along like a dying dog so I double checked the Fi store to make sure they still had that Moto G6 I wanted for $200. They didn't but instead had it for $99 :woop:

My girlfriend and I have also been discussing a phone for the 11 year old, and we decided to pull the trigger on this, having decided a bit ago to just put her on my account and limit data usage when possible. Wanted to buy the phone now in case the price went back up Tuesday or whenever.

I say that because I'm not 100% sure what happens. We bought it through my Google account so I assume that when I get it, we just add the stepdaughter's Gmail account to mine, and register the phone? Is it just that simple?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Someone up thread mentioned using their tablet; now that Google has opened up Fi to non-Fi phones, does that mean tablets could also work? I have an Amazon Fire HD 10 that I don't use data on currently. I don't really need to but it would be nice to have the option.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That just means I won't waste data on dumb gacha games!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Anyone else have an issue where when you dial a phone number, it just immediately ends the call as soon as you hit "send?"

Happens to me all the time, only fix I've found is to just keep dialing, sometimes 10+ times in a row. It's happened across two phones, now (Moto X4 and Pixel 3 XL).

I did on my previous phone, haven't done too many phone calls with the new one. Sometimes it was immediate, sometimes after a few seconds. I always chalked it up to a bad signal.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has anyone else experienced this scam phenomenon? Both my girlfriend and I (she's on, I think, Sprint) have gotten texts and calls from strangers, asking US why we called them. Obviously, we haven't done anything. So it's people spoofing exact phone numbers, instead of just your area code, to scam people. I assume there's nothing we can really do about this, and it was just our time in the sun.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If I turn off mobile data on a phone, will it still do texting and phone calls? The 11 year old has racked up over 4 GB since getting her phone back and yikes. Or if there is a way to turn off data after a certain amount automatically, maybe? I have an alert set up to tell me when she hits 1 GB but I don't remember getting the notification.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Turns out she's discovered that she can watch videos on Pintrest instead of YouTube, so that's getting locked down and was probably the biggest data sucker.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My stepdaughter's phone has suddenly stopped receiving group messages and picture messages. She can send just fine but when I send her a picture, nothing shows up, not even the download icon. We use MMGuardian as the default messages app and it hasn't had a problem before. I've checked every setting I can and it's getting pretty frustating. Storage has 27% free, auto download MMS is on, auto download while roaming is on, cleared the cache on the messaging app, powered off and on again.

Edit: Alright disabling the MMGuardian messaging app worked but that's obviously not ideal.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 11, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Edit: Nevermind.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 12, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

Keeping internet creeps away is one thing, but *checks notes* having a report of every text sent by your child at the end of the day, or a location tracker, is loving gross, and helicopter parenting, respectively.

Very possible to do all the things you want to prevent, which I'm all for, without resorting to this gross app.

You know literally nothing about the situation except the existence of an app and a child. You don't even know the child's age. If you aren't going to suggest things that could replace the app and instead just want to make things up to be smug about, gently caress off.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there really no way to find your account # without going through the Leave Fi section?? I have to checkmark several boxes that say "You agree that all this will happen" and the last button says "Leave Fi"??

Like, what the hell?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

It's not your primary Fi phone number?

I haven't seen any places mention that. Would the Remove Person button do it? I've got two people leaving the group but I'm still the primary and staying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

If you're going to remove two people anyway, go ahead and do that; I don't think that would magically reveal your account number, though. I happened to have a Fi bill at hand when you initially posted, and sure enough, there are no account numbers on there. It would make sense if the primary phone number (yours, in this case) were the account number, but it's no more than a hunch on my part. But if you don't need the account number to remove people from the group, don't sweat it.

They need the account number to transfer their numbers, they told me. You do, in fact, have to go all the way through the cancellation process to get the account number (which is definitely not just your phone number) then cancel the pending cancellation.

It's almost as bad as needing to call an actual person so they can try to talk you out of cancelling.