Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I literally just did this with my 6S too in an effort to deregister iMessage. The caveat is that it essentially functions as a T-Mobile SIM, and it is against the ToS for Fi, and they will 100% gently caress you when they find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Actually really liking my 5X - has been very snappy (aside from two random times it slowed to a crawl until a reboot), standby battery life is adequate, and screen on time is OK enough to make it a day - around 3 hours. I also enjoy that doze means I can leave it unplugged all night, and just charge while I'm in the car and for a little bit before I go to work.

Need some new cables though. Are all USB-C to C cables okay, or are some of them out of spec like A-C cables? Also, are there any decent, not too expensive external battery packs that use USB-C and support the rapid charging spec?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

N'ing the rejection of nexus 5x hate; I've had mine for a couple weeks now, and now that it's setup and finished it's background tasks, it is extremely smooth and reliable. Battery isn't even too bad - I'm at 81% battery with four hours off the charger and 50 minutes of SoT. I also am actually loving having a plastic, blocky phone. So much easier to hold than my iPhone or nexus 6.

Fi is also impressing me. I'm finding that most places I use my phone (such as laundry right now) have open networks it automatically connects to, and if it wasn't for using half a gig the first day stupidly syncing and downloading poo poo, I'd be well under two gigs, making this easily the cheapest plan around.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

If you type the phone number in the search box it'll let you send an SMS to it. Of course it doesn't autocomplete with your contacts' info because :google:, but if you have the number memorized it works fine.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Has anyone switched away from Project Fi and then switched back? I'm not paying any less using T-Mobile, and the support/service/everything about Fi is better in every way (plus, I just switched back to Google services on my macbook/iphone and remember how garbage Apple services are in comparison). Do I just need to shoot a quick email off to support to order another phone? My account is paid off and in good standing.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Did you come from an iPhone?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I'm thinking of switching to Fi, but I have a few concerns:

1. I used to use Google Voice, and it was pretty unreliable - missing texts/calls, no VM, etc. I've heard some similar complaints about Fi, I feel like. Is this still an issue?

2. I've heard issues of runaway data use from Android making your Fi bill spike. Is this also pretty unsubstantiated?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So long as voice is reliable and I can submit refund requests for data issues I can deal with that!

My only other concern is phone availability; I get that Google can cross ship you a replacement very quickly, but I can't be without a phone due to work. I know I can throw my sim in an unlocked T-Mobile phone and have service work, but I've also heard that Google will do poo poo like lock your account do to that. Anyone have expri be with this? I'd just need it for a couple days, if ever, while I wait for a replacement phone to arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Okay!

Someone give me a referral code asap!