Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Do the phones ordered from Huawei ship any faster? It says "Late November".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My 6P which I ordered 10/21 and said would ship 11/20something shipped today, it'll be here Tuesday. From Illinois. Apparently they've shipped it via slow-pony express.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Just started my port from Sprint to Google Fi. I was a SERO customer for 10 years, and my service with Fi over the past few weeks has been great. Happy to be rid of Sprint.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Actually, I'm using T-Mo 80% of the time and it's better. Also, my two interactions with customer service were far-and-away better.

As a data point for those interested, the port was done in 15 minutes.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I can't send text messages through hangouts. Or, I haven't figured it out yet. It's just type the phone number in the box, right? I get an option to call them, but not send a text. Also, I can't receive texts sent to my device via the web, unless I just haven't figured it out yet.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
So I've been full-time Google Fi for two days. I don't send a lot of text messages, but sending them from the computer is crucial.

99% of my life is done through my @mybusiness.com e-mail address which runs google apps - my e-mail, calendar, Play music, etc. The only significant thing that's done through my old @gmail.com legacy account is Project Fi which is not usable without an @gmail.com address.

I have sent and received a few text messages from my phone (using Hangouts). Logging into the computer (under either account) doesn't reveal a way to see existing, reply, or send new text messages.

Can somebody walk me through what I'm missing?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The #1 you've got is not exactly how it appears in my settings, but I do think the setting you're describing is on - I am sending and receiving all the text messages via Hangouts on my phone.

What you describe in gmail (which is what I'm looking for) isn't there. I can click to call people through that screen, but no text messages.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Boom! Fixed it. Thanks.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Uthor posted:

Oh, sweet! They're actually pretty good in the boonies around Central IL, which is what I was complaining about a week ago.
That's funny. The first thing I thought when I saw that coverage map was "I bet this'll thrill that guy who was complaining about bad coverage in the boonies in Illinois!"

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
What's the scuttlebutt on the release of a new 5x or 6p in the next few months? My wife wants a new phone, but I feel like the current gen is coming EOL soon, and I hate buying something new only to have it superseded a month later.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Yeah, I'm using the 6P right now and it's literally the best phone I've ever had. Which is what I plan to tell my wife. When I give her my used Nexus 6P and buy whatever the new hotness is.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

me your dad posted:

I bought the paid app and when I first (accidentally) tried to switch carriers, it gave me a notification. I think I hit 'No Thanks' or something to that affect and now it just brings me to my contact list when I press one of the carrier icons in the app. Any ideas?
Go into the dialer and "paste". Shazzam. Transferred!

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Force Jump to Sprint: *#*#34777#*#*
Force Jump to T-Mobile: *#*#34866#*#*
Force Jump to Next Carrier: *#*#346398#*#*
Turn On Auto Switch: *#*#342886#*#*
Repair Bad Activation: *#*#34963#*#*
Current Network Info: *#*#344636#*#*

Copy and paste the dialer codes from here into your dialer app.

Just think. You'd have had to pay $2 for the app. PayPal-ing me $1 for my beer fund will save you 50%.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

toplitzin posted:

Has anyone seen really weird data behavior after switching?

I have had google music take nearly a gb in streaming in 2 days.

Previously even without zero rating (was on sprint who 0 rates nothing) a month's worth of listening while driving wouldn't even break 600Mb. And that was with music on high quality, now it's been on low.
I am using about twice as much data on Fi that I was on Sprint (where I had unlimited data). I have better coverage now (I'm on T*Mo almost all the time), but I'm paying another $10-$20/mo and worried about data use all the time. It's disappointing.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My habits haven't really changed. I don't chat or text any more or less, I don't listen to music any more or less. But the 12 month numbers from before don't match up with the 2 months I've been on Fi.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
There was some engineer from Google that was going through Amazon USB-C cables and buying them all and then leaving reviews as to whether they met spec or not. His reivews got voted to the top, so you can see which ones are legit now.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My wife's new Nexus 5X has used 2GB of data in two weeks. She was < 1GB/mo (pretty far below, in fact) for the entirety of her time with Sprint.

Data usage shows 1.1GB used over the cellular network on just "Google Play Store" alone. Settings in play store are "update over WiFi only".

In Data Usage, I can turn off play store's ability to use background data. I did so. 1) Will this make anything bad happen, and 2) 1.1GB, what the ever-loving gently caress?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My wife used >3GB last month, and over 2 years with Sprint had never broken 1GB, in fact was frequently averaging 0.5GB.

My 2-3GB turning into 4-5GB could possibly be blamed on my being an internet addict with better mobile coverage. My wife using 6x the data that she's ever used in her life... There is something being done differently in the calculations of data at Fi versus Sprint.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I measure using the Sprint dashboard vs. the Fi dashboard, because that's how they bill me.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
There's a shopping mall on the border with Mexico on the US side, I get that message at the shopping mall, but they don't end up charging me, so they must figure it out somehow.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
1) yes, San Ysidro

2) I have never been able to definitively figure out what's wrong with WiFi calls, but it's like using a really clear version of a bad walkie talkie. Weird delays. Weird dropouts, I'm never quite sure if the other person can hear me. But when they can, I sound really, really good.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Javid posted:

Are there any "lol google" quirks that will bite me in the rear end once it's too late to go back? I already found out I have to not get the plan on the account I have Google Voice on or I lose all the cool GV stuff, which is annoying but can be avoided.
There was a discussion of this a few days ago, but I and some others are using ~2x the amount of data on Fi we were using on our previous carriers.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
"Make as many items as you can sell" is a pretty common business strategy.

"It's better to go a few short than a lot over" is another pretty common business strategy.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Usually after you port the previous provider terminates your account automatically.
Which works out about a thousand times better than retentions trying to use every false-logic in the book to get you to not leave.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Sprint is terrible at my house, T-Moble is perfect. It chooses Sprint (or worse, WiFi) 30%+ of the time. The learning process must be slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Uncle Ivan posted:

Anyway, I wish Google would release just a project Fi SMS interface that you can use from any website while still being able to use whatever SMS app you want.
GrandCentral does that effectively. Maybe Google could buy them and use their SMS integration. I've got it, they could call it Google Voice.

Why is google crippling Fi and letting anyone on any other carrier have SMS integration with Voice?