Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Got an invite the other day for this and really looking forward to try it out, as I am sick of ATT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Darkpriest667 posted:

There has been some posts that said you can't use voice and data at the same time? Anyone able to confirm that?

Yeah looks like just for sprint.
https://twitter.com/sgreenstonenj/status/608322949968457728

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Well picked up a 5x and have had it for about and week and have had no problems, like the phone service is good. No issues yet.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Ixian posted:

Just got my Fi bill and it was $23 (including credits). Granted, I spend a lot of time on WiFi but that is kind of the point - I only pay for what I use. On AT&T I paid a minimum of $70 no matter what. Fi rules.

Yup similar bill for me, am loving it gently caress Att.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

greasyhands posted:

Just out of curiosity, was it required for the fast charging to have that little mini usb-c connector on the plug end of the charger or did they just decide to make a cable that cant be used in anyones car or hooked up to a computer or any other use case that a regular usb plug would have accommodated?

Not sure what you mean? But it can fast charge off any charger that has the proper specs. Afaik as long as it can output 3A it will fast charge.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Hughmoris posted:

For those who have had Fi for a while, what are your monthly bills looking like?

Mine has been around 32$ last few months.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Anyone else having a problem with short code 2-factor authentication sms messages not coming through?

I've contacted support about it, and they "escalated" the issue about a week ago, but I haven't heard back.

No, been working fine for me for, Gmail, steam, work etc.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Uthor posted:

Like I said, I've been using it in places I don't frequently go (and normally wouldn't have had a signal, anyway). I need to test it out in a controlled situation.

Driving on I-39 between Rockford and Bloomington. Not a trip I often take, and when I have (and wasn't driving), I'd have issues getting even 3G, not to mention LTE, on TMobile. Signal seemed to be better on Fi, but I was driving this time and didn't exactly monitor my phone, but I had issues when calling, but I can't honestly say I tried calling in the same spot when I had TMobile.

I'm mainly in Peoria, IL. I've had dead spots with both TMobile and Sprint in the past. I'm hoping Fi would fill in the blanks when combining the two.

I find the service around Peoria better with Fi than when I had Att, had a lot of dead spots with Att, including my work parking lot heh.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Uncle Ivan posted:

It is, but no other way to have SMS integrated across all devices.

You could use push bullet.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

It is working fine for me so far, downloaded it yesterday as well.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah I had it happen on occasion when I was on AT@T too. So idk if it's something that happens in all carriers.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

So my 5x died out of warranty and LG said they would fix it anyhow, and they refurbed mine I think, as the email I got said they replaced various hardware pieces. But when I got it back they never bothered to put an OS on it...so I had to send it back again. :smith:

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Well just got my 5x back from LG support for the second time, still doesn't work. They have sent the phone back to me twice without an operating system. Wish I had bought it on the Fi store as I hear they are better about getting you a working phone.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Well hell, if I'm going to have to wait two weeks for a replacement 5X, why not just drop cash on a Pixel 2 that'll ship in two weeks instead? Is there some hidden underlying flaw I don't know about because it's brand new and nobody's gotten their hands on it yet?

I did it with mine, I had to send the phone back 3 times, as the first two times they sent it back still boot lopping. Long story short LG is pretty poo poo.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Also if her 5x starts boot looping LG will fix it for free well outside of warranty, at least they did for me. Took them like a month of shipping a dead phone back and forth, so there is that however.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

They just fixed my 5x, not sure how but, the phone is a little slower since they fixed it and has more storage so I think they swapped out some internals. But I just contacted them once and had no problem getting it fixed. They sent it back to me with only the LG base OS twice though which was rather annoying.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

All I did was use the support chat on LGs website and explained what was going on and they had me do some random stuff to try to fix it and then had me send it in. I also got them to pay for shipping, but had to press a bit for that.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

IAmKale posted:

Anyone here using Hangouts to handle SMS? I've abandoned Pushbullet because it seems the developers have too and now I'm really bummed out about the inability to send out SMS from my desktop. I know MMS is hosed in general unless you participate directly from a phone, but I'm wondering if Hangouts is okay to go back to for one-to-one messages from my computer.

I've been using pushbullet to send sms from my desktop for a long time, was there a change recently so you can't anymore?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Cromlech posted:

For people porting a number from a family plan on ATT to Fi, how was it? Painless? How long did the transfer take?

I did it a few years ago and it was pretty much instant and very easy.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I've traveled out of the county multiple times with fi and it's been pretty quick and seamless everytime for me. Only county I remember having issues in was Hati.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Also if you use a refferal code you get 20$ off your bill (I do as well) after the first month, my code is ETJ2H7 if you want to use it.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yes, if you turn off mobile data calls and texts work fine.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I'm in the same boat the wife and I rarely have a bill much over 50$ only time it's ever more than 60 is when we are traveling a lot.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Javid posted:

Mostly their actively terrible support. If things are working and you don't mess with them you're usually safe, but if anything breaks and you have to get human eyes on it, expect to lose days in their anti-user cycle of scripts and "the department that does that isn't reachable by [method you're using to talk to them]" and them flat out lying and saying they fixed a thing to get you to go away. I have had these idiots make claims that violate the laws of relativity, and stand by them when that was pointed out. They don't give a single poo poo about helping you at all.

The best way to get actual support on anything involves filing a ticket with a dude on Reddit (who doesn't even work for Google), who is tight with somebody higher up in the support department who MIGHT actually help you, maybe

Yeah, as long as it works its great, but if something doesn't work and can't be easily fixed you're hosed. Like I went to iceland recently and everything worked fine for the first day and after that I couldn't make any calls to local numbers, only numbers not in Iceland worked, after spending days with support and never getting anywhere, I was pretty much told I was hosed and they couldn't fix it so sucks to be me.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Hm, nice, google will let you transition your financed 4a to their new subscription thing, and count payments you already made toward it.

Seems like a no loss situation if you plan on staying with Fi.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I've only ever seen mine go though california, iirc.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah I ran into issues with it in Iceland, worked fine for a few days then just nothing, only thing we could sometimes get to work was wifi calling.

Support pretty much said :shrug: maybe it will work tomorrow?

Never had any issues in idk half a dozen other countries though.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Since moving to a larger metro area I have had almost no signal issues where living in small town midwest would have to manually switch more often to have good service.

But fi is solid and have no complaints for the most part, only issue I have really run into is it seems if you have any issue with international coverage they just kind of :shrug: and don't help. However I have used it in almost a dozen countries and only had an issue once, every other time was flawless.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Honestly doesn't surprise me, I'm my experience Fi works great when it does and if it doesn't and isn't a super easy fix you boned.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I really like Fi for the most part, but holy gently caress, if something doesn't work and it's not crazy simple, there customer service is somehow worse (ok maybe not worse, but equal) than AT&T.

My sister was going to join my plan, and something happened, number can't port and in poo poo limbo. Long story short, was "escalated" like 5 days ago, and since customer service won't/can't do anything, just saying someone will get back to her/us. Sorry I can't do anything because someone is going to reach out to you, sometime in the maybe near future but also maybe never, thanks! Looking forward to having you as a great customer! Don't call us, we'll call you!

Had a few other issues in the past that I was ok just writing off, but honestly it's getting old.

So was looking around at some other options and US Mobile, looks very good price wise, but it seems to be newer, has anyone had any experience with them?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah, why I feel like it may not be worth it, trading one bald tire for another bald tire. But the price seems to good, the reviews I see around, and on Reddit and elsewhere feel....fake. Like to many people giving good reviews and saying favorable things.

Maybe I am just to soured from my recent experiences hah.

Honestly would probably just go back to T-Mobile if anything, seems some of their plans are more comparable than they used to be.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah...pretty much.

I feel like I would mind it less of they just said we don't do customer support and if you have issues fix it yourself or gently caress off. Because at least then they are being honest.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Rakeris posted:

I really like Fi for the most part, but holy gently caress, if something doesn't work and it's not crazy simple, there customer service is somehow worse (ok maybe not worse, but equal) than AT&T.

My sister was going to join my plan, and something happened, number can't port and in poo poo limbo. Long story short, was "escalated" like 5 days ago, and since customer service won't/can't do anything, just saying someone will get back to her/us. Sorry I can't do anything because someone is going to reach out to you, sometime in the maybe near future but also maybe never, thanks! Looking forward to having you as a great customer! Don't call us, we'll call you!

Had a few other issues in the past that I was ok just writing off, but honestly it's getting old.

So was looking around at some other options and US Mobile, looks very good price wise, but it seems to be newer, has anyone had any experience with them?

Posting this as it might help someone else in the future, so ATT blamed Fi and Fi never was able to get back to me with anything, but we talked to a number of people at ATT all who were all worthless. However by some fluke I was connected to someone who IDd himself as Bill from AT&T Premier support, he also claimed to live in Phoenix. Idk why but this Bill was pretty amazing, he not only could understand what the issue was, he said he could easily fix it! He said the number port was blocked by AT&T because of "fraud" however he could provide no other info on why that was. But he said he can instant message someone on the fraud team, and have them release it, and we would need to provide some confirmation code that would be sent to the phone.

Like 10 seconds later we get the code, he forwards it to whomever he is IMing on the fraud team, and bam, it's done. I asked him how do I contact people like him who can actually fix things, he said there wasn't a way. (not sure I believe him, but wtvr) I also asked like if this ever happens again, how do I get this fixed? As no one I talked to - and I talked to probably a dozen different peeps, could see anything wrong and said there wasn't a block on the number or anything, and there was no reason it wouldn't go though.

So he says only "certain" people can see those type of blocks, and if it ever happens again ask to speak to someone in the fraud department and they will be able to see it and fix it....

:suicide:

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Honestly doesn't surprise me from my experience with FI support, if it's something very simple, they can do it easily. Anything that is more than 1+1=2, good loving luck if it gets fixed in days, weeks, or ever.

Makes me appreciate our corp/gov Verizon accounts that poo poo gets fixed in minutes for 99.99% of anything, and if it's in the .001%, tomorrow.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Google FI posted:

We're upgrading our plans starting April 8, 2022. The new, lower unlimited prices will automatically take effect on your next billing cycle. Here's what's changing: 

Flexible plan: 
Pricing: No change

Features:
Free calls between the US, Canada and Mexico

Simply Unlimited: 

Pricing:
$50 per line for 1 line (previously $60)
$40 per line for 2 lines (previously $45)
$25 per line for 3 lines (previously $30)
$20 per line for 4-6 lines (previously $30)

Features:
Data slows after 35GB (previously 22GB) 
Free calls between the US, Canada, and Mexico
5GB of high-speed hotspot tethering (previously none)

Unlimited Plus

Pricing:
$65 per line for 1 line (previously $70)
$55 per line for 2 lines (previously $60)
$45 per line for 3 lines (previously $50)
$40 per line for 4-6 lines (previously $45)

Features:
Data slows after 50GB (previously 22GB) 
Free calls between the US, Canada, and Mexico
Not going to complain about that change!

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

There is a/some Reddit support dude who seems to be able to work magic sometimes, so might be worth giving that a go.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleFi/comments/wdljfi/how_to_submit_a_reddit_request/

Or it looks like that may have been killed? Not sure. But yeah Google Fi support is often hilariously bad, like not old Comcast bad, but just like amazingly/ purposefully incompetent bad.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Javid posted:

I'd start looking into local sims you can put in your phone, since fi support is going to 100% refuse to do poo poo if you're outside the US with a problem

Whoa, they will definitely have you reset 50 things that won't do anything and then "report it to the engineers" who will get back to you in 7-10 days. (No they won't)