Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Google has put it's foot in the ring for telecoms.... sort of.

Project Fi is Google using a new technology to combine access to both T-mobile and Sprint networks (as well as Wifi). It currently is supporting the Google Nexus 5X, 6, and 6P (It's rumored the LG 4 works on Google Fi but not confirmed)

The plan starts at 20 dollars a month plus 10 dollars per gigabyte of data. (You sign up for a certain amount of data per month) You are refunded (in the form of credit to your bill) for any data you don't use.
Example: I sign up for 1 GB of data but only use 600 MB. I am refunded 4 dollars to my account.

Coverage map - https://fi.google.com/coverage

It also will work in 120 countries, you must purchase Roaming overseas data (the same charge as domestic and you're refunded what you don't use as credit on your bill), but cellular use is 20 cents per minute outside the U.S.

FAQ is here - https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#network-and-coverage

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Sub Rosa posted:

I'm switching from the T-Mobile nerd plan to this when my 6P gets here.

Only if by free you mean the same. No additional charges above the normal $10/GB, but it is still $10/GB.

OP fixed thanks good catch that wasn't really communicated well.

---EDIT Has anyone gotten their hands on a 6P yet? I am wanting to order but have reservations about ordering directly from Huawei. I wanted to order from Google I sure as hell won't order it from Sprint. Any experience with this? (I wish I had pre-ordered now)

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 27, 2015

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Infidel Castro posted:

My Sprint contact is up on the 20th and I'm pretty much set on trying Fi. Too bad the store is out of the 64GB 6p though. :smith:

I believe the store is out of everything for the 6P in all colors? It was last time I checked. You can order direct from Huawei.

http://www.gethuawei.com/nexus6p

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

photomikey posted:

Do the phones ordered from Huawei ship any faster? It says "Late November".

My guess is no. The reason they're shipping in Late November is they aren't even built yet. Once again Google underestimated popularity of it's phone and it's out of stock.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ranter posted:

The Project Fi expert I spoke with earlier this week said you must pay another $10 for 1GB of overseas roaming data, it doesn't come out of your existing USA data, but unused global roaming data is refunded as per the norm. I looked in to this because I am going overseas soon.

I'm totally signing up for this (got an invite already) upon my return. Don't want to risk any 'teething' issues while I'm away. I already have t-mobile, and just bought a 6p, so I'm keen to save $10 a month.

OP is changed to reflect what you've posted. Thanks.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Infidel Castro posted:

I got an email today. Google had some 64GB 6Ps in stock, so Project Fi here I come. :toot:

Yup just ordered one.. Graphite 64GB .. on it's way.. 583 bucks... Project Fi I am on my way!

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
There has been some posts that said you can't use voice and data at the same time? Anyone able to confirm that?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
I have Sprint now and can use Data when I am on the phone so this seems weird to me.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
My Sim card is in the mail and should arrive about 4 days before the phone does.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

mad.radhu posted:

This seems really odd to me, mine arrived in the same box.

No, everything just says 'Fi Network'. There are third party network tools you can get off the play store to see what net you're actually on, though.

I ordered my phone from the actual google store and I had to order my sim card from fi.google.com. That's why they are coming separate.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ixian posted:

At risk of derailing into a Nexus discussion - though not entirely off topic since the last 3 are the only ones that work on Fi - the 6p is truly great. The only bummer for me was lack of wireless charging, since I had bought in to that since using the 5 and later the 6, but I can live without it.

Everything else about this phone is spot on. I am used to good fingerprint sensors from the iPhone but this one is even better; using it with Lastpass and autofill - the latter iOS can't do - is fantastic. Will never use a phone without a (good) one again - it is not the kind of lovely implementation Samsung used to have in case you wondered.

Phone is fast as hell, screen is phenomenal, and the camera is really good which I am not used to on Android. Also, battery life has been excellent so far as well. If you are on the fence, get it, it is night and day from the original 6.

Posting from it, in fact.

I'm excited to get mine and use FI.. The fact that it also uses Tmobile signals and whichever is stronger makes me think Tmo will be what it's using a lot of the time. My students with T mo get 3 bars in my room and I can't even get phone service with Sprint.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Sub Rosa posted:

My understanding is that it only decides which one is stronger initially, and doesn't switch unless it loses connection. So you would be on T-Mobile in your room with no Sprint, but you wouldn't switch to Sprint just because it is stronger unless you lose Sprint.

Or is this not the case?

At least this was my understanding why there are apps to check which network you are on / force a switch.

I have my 6P and Fi sim, just waiting for my last month of T-Mobile prepay to end.

I'm not quite sure it hasn't been clearly stated enough for me. I do know I am paying my ETF with sprint to get out.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Crossposting from the Android thread, I finally got my 6p (two weeks faster than they said), and I love it in almost every way. The thing is too goddamned big! Yeah I know, my own fault. I have long fingers so I figured it would be OK, but I can't hold the phone with one hand and use my thumb to swype because I can't reach across the entire screen. That and the fact that because it's so big I never feel like I'm holding it safely means I should probably "downgrade" to a 5x. I bought this one with Fi on 0% financing, I wonder if they'll let me exchange for a 5x and continue the financing? Part of me doesn't want to "downgrade" though. Where can I find how many days I have to get used to this phone before I have a shot at swapping it?

Go to http://fi.google.com and click support and chat to a support person.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Update, my 6P shipped today instead of a week from today. Fedex says it should be in my hands by Tuesday night.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Customer service is tops, my service is fantastic, and the Nexus 6P is a fantastic phone so far. I have no complaints. It's the honeymoon, but I'll keep checking in.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
I've discovered an issue. It's not unique to me so you might want to be aware of it. I am unable to get short codes on my 6P on Google Fi. I just got done talking to support for 25 minutes and it looks like it's being escalated. I read in several areas that it was eventually fixed but you have to really nag support. That seems like something that should have been thought of.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Knifegrab posted:

Does the nexus 6p have an sd slot so I can expand my storage space?

Also will google help get me out of my contract early with another carrier?

No and yes.... I mean they cancelled my contract and I had another 8 months. My ETF will be 100 bucks but Sprint seems to not be charging me yet.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Glass of Milk posted:

The 6p is nice but it's heavy. I also wince every time I put it on the table... It just feels like the glass is gonna break. Looking forward to getting my case next week.

Also, service is great for me. I'm in southern California and I'm either in lte or hspa all the time. I haven't yet encountered any of the public WiFi spots..is there a list/coverage map of them?

which case did you get

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
I've been using Fi for almost a week now and all seems to be well. Quiet honestly my LTE speeds are faster than when I was with Sprint (probably because it's hitting T mobile) and I've used a whopping..... .19 GB of Data... yes .19... This is because Fi does such a good job of switching to wifi anytime an open one is in range. I'm very please so far. I bought the 4GB plan and it looks like next month I might not be paying anything! 2 months for 64.85. YES PLEASE.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Glass of Milk posted:

I don't think there's anywhere to try before you buy, unfortunately. They only sell the devices online afaik, but they do have a generous return policy. You can get a good sense of them just using wifi, FWIW, but the initial outlay of money is the issue.

I went with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017NE0PD2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01. I wanted a slim clear case, and that seems to be the best one.

One thing I've noticed coming from a Nexus 4 (and my wife from a Nexus 5) is that my hand hits the volume buttons, since they've switched sides from the old devices. I'm hoping the case also helps prevent that some.

I've had the same issue. I came from the nexus 5 and I am taking some adjusting to not hitting it. Also, the dash mount I have hits the volume buttons constantly so I have to move the phone a little and it seems wobbly from that position. This is my primary complaint with the phone.

EDIT--- since the other case I ordered got delivered to another state (my old address) I have ordered this one in it's stead. I am just TOO concerned about dropping it.

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 17, 2015

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Gravel Gravy posted:

The 6p feels really well made and it sits really well if you have large hands. Feels just a bit wider than my HTC M8 :rip:

I am 5'4 and 127 pounds. (I workout so I am not a fatass) My hands are not large. I LIKE the way the 6P feels in my hand. I can grab it with one hand and do some swiping. If I need to type it takes 2. I prefer this form factor. Like I said, the only thing that bothers me is the volume/power button location. I cannot use my dash mount correctly anymore.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Bloodplay it again posted:

My girlfriend dropped AT&T for Fi and received her 5x last week. She really likes the phone and she came from an iPhone 4S, so of course everything is much snappier in comparison, but the battery life is awful. She doesn't use her phone much throughout the day but she's only getting a little over 2 hours of screen on time before the battery croaks. I triple-checked all of her applications and settings but it looks like it is setup to be as efficient as possible, so I have no idea why the battery life has been so terrible. Android OS and System are both using up a huge chunk (~15% each) of the battery. Her screen is set to minimum brightness with no auto brightness. This morning, I disabled location services on her phone (changed from battery saving to off) and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. When the phone is taken off the charger before bed and it sits idle overnight, the battery is down to ~90% by the time her alarm goes off. For comparison, she uses her phone less than I do on a daily basis and my 1.5-year-old HTC One M8 is usually between 70-85% by the time I'm going to bed.

Any tips aside from doing a factory reset and trying again from scratch? I'm certain she's going to wind up returning the phone if we can't find a solution in the next couple of days, since she's on day 6 of using the phone. She's out with the phone right now or else I'd post a screenshot of her battery stats. The biggest issue that I see for her is the carrier signal frequently switches from green to orange, but she's connected to one WiFi network or another for the vast majority (>90%) of the day.

edit: Going to disable Google Now and make sure WiFi is on while asleep only while the phone is plugged in to see if that makes a difference.

Something isn't right, even my regular 5 got better battery life. If it doesn't right itself try an RMA with Google and see if that fixes it.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

She has Facebook installed, but not Messenger. Unless the stats are lying, Facebook isn't really using too much juice. It is Android OS, System, then Screen. Right now she's got about 20% battery life left with just under 3 hours SOT. It seems like disabling WiFi scanning dramatically helped with the battery life, but it seems strange that the life is so bad right out of the box. I think we're going to wind up sending this one back and just hope this one is faulty. Her iPhone 4S with a 2.5-year-old battery lasts just as long as this phone. Google support was initially pretty helpful with getting the number ported over, but they haven't been too helpful with regards to device support. They want her to disable GPS entirely (despite the fact it's on battery saving mode right now) and use the phone, but if she has to disable the GPS entirely for decent battery life, it won't fly. After this factory reset, I'm not changing any settings from stock and we'll see how long it lasts. There isn't any reason she should have to take a new phone and disable half of the features to get the battery to last past 3:00 PM, right?

Looking at the screen for 3 hours? I'd say that's pretty good actually. I think the best I've ever seen an iPHONE 6+ do is about 4 and it has a battery twice as big.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Looking at the screen for 3 hours with quite a few of the default options off, yes. She also plugged her phone in for about 15 minutes before leaving work and the stats go off of the last 100% charge, so I think they're skewed.

Looking at the 5x subreddit and other forums, most people seem to be averaging 4-5 hours screen on time with normal brightness settings over a couple of days. She's getting ~3.5 hours max with GPS/WiFi scanning turned off, brightness at absolute minimum (with no auto-adjusting), and no other applications aside from stock are even installed.

Low battery usage/battery-saving shouldn't need to be disabled to get decent battery life. It's not like she has high-accuracy GPS on all the time. It's just for the occasional weather or news update. I'll take a look for a battery application, but I don't know of any way to test the maximum capacity of the battery without having direct access to the battery itself.

Again, I realize the One M8 has a bigger battery, but I never disable GPS, Bluetooth, or WiFi and my phone will last a couple of days without having to be plugged in. I'm currently at 1 day, 8 hours on my M8 with 69% battery life left and I don't even have 6.0/Doze. Hopefully this factory reset helps.

Wait.. did she pull it off the charger on it's first charge early? if she did that she's boned and has to send it in.. it will have corrupted that thing the battery uses to tell how much life it has left.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

No. It was fully charged for a day before it was even turned on. We needed to find additional account info to port her number.

Hmm then I don't see why the battery would be screwed, but best be sure by RMAing it. Google will probably overnight you a new one.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah its not a thing with modern batteries. Besides when it left the factory it was charged to 100% its 'first time', and its only less than that because its been sitting in some stock warehouse or backroom. Or if you bought it in a store and they turn it on and put a sim card or whatever to activate it they are turning it on without charging it to max first.

Well hell I was always under the impression we were using the same battery technology in lithium as we were 10 years ago. Color me an idiot! Good to know!

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

EatinCake posted:

Drats. I was hoping to hop aboard sometime next month. Maybe I'll tweet a goofy doodle at Google Fi's twitter account. Companies seem to love that.

I guess my concern is that I'm really content with my Galaxy Nexus's ~5in size. It fits nicely in my hand. Any larger, I'm pretty sure I'd get irritated trying to reach everywhere via thumb, which is my primary use.

I really only use my phone to call, text, check Facebook, and snapchat. Strongly dislike watching videos on it, running audio, or any of that other stuff. The extra girth on these phones is a serious con in my book- makes it harder to hold, use, & would make me more likely to drop & break it.

The 5x isn't that much larger than the Galaxy.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

EatinCake posted:

Right. Which is why I'm considering that over the 6p, but making sure via this thread that that's a good solid decision.

A google phone will be vastly superior to any other android simply because there is no loving bloatware on it. It also works on any of the radio bands even the ones over seas. Ever since I got my original nexus 5 I've never even bothered wanting a Samsung or an iPhone. I wish there was a way you could get one in your hands but the carriers always sit on their asses about getting the Nexus line in the store to look at.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Mr. Crow posted:

My 6P comes in Friday :woop:! I'm looking for a case, is the ADOPTED case through the google store any good? What are some other recommendations?

Glass of Milk recommends this case. I have it and it's pretty sweet. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ilpage_o00_s01.

Animale posted:

I wasn't expecting to be accepted this early (took 2 days), I think I'm just going to wait until my ETF goes down to $100 instead of the $180 it's at right now before I make my move.

Honestly depending on how often you are in range of wifi and how much data you use you might save money buying the ETF out... For me.. I paid 140 dollar ETF and I will actually pay that ETF off in 2 months of savings.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
I finally almost hit 3g service yesterday downtown Fort Worth in a Bar, but an open wifi network was available.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

So I got my invite in my email yesterday, but I won't be off my Sprint contract for a few more months. What happens if I accept the invite now?

You pay the ETF at sprint and start saving money and experiencing good service. Also, you have a compatible phone. Officially only the Nexus 6, 5x, and 6p are compatible.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Thank you, if that is the case then this answer helps. I'm on contract until July 2016 (although my ETF drops to the minimum of $100 in February), however my parents' contract with Sprint is up in January, and I'd love to guide them into making this switch.

Interesting you say that about your parents, I checked my mother's usage the other day and she uses like .4 GB a month. She pays 68 dollars. She could probably get away with paying google 40. I'm tempted to buy her a 5X and get this started.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

How are payments made? Is a Google Pay account required for the monthly plan or just if you buy a phone with monthly payments?

No you give them your debit card or checking account info and they automatically deduct your payment the first day of the billing cycle.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

For the plan? OK cool.

For the device, if paying monthly:

From the Pay Monthly Device Plan Terms and Conditions

Good to know I had no idea, I didn't even know they had a monthly option.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Wizard of Smart posted:

Trying to find information on what specific bands fi uses, but I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

You could try contacting Fi support. They're pretty helpful. Someone could probably get you that information from there. I also tried finding that info out last night but couldn't find it, I am guessing it uses all the bands that T-mobile and Sprint use and also a few overseas as it works in 149 countries.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ixian posted:

I came over from AT&T as well and unless you are a complete mobile data hound you are probably going to find you are saving a lot more than $20 a month. You get credit for data you don't use - in the form of not paying as much, not "rollover" data.

Since late July I've taken my N6, now 6p, on two trips to Europe and one to Japan in addition to daily home use and my bills are half of the regular "domestic" AT&T rate - never mind what I used to have to pay for temporary international data. I'm not even sure how this service exists. I mean, I knew the big carriers like AT&T were overcharging like motherfuckers but drat.

I know, it's ridiculous to realize that I am going to pay 30 dollars this month for data and unlimited texting and calling. The Telecom giants are an oligopoly and this proves it. Look how much cheaper a real competitor is.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I am very happy with Fi, but I do not get the sense that Google want to compete long term in this market. They seem to want to spur further innovation and develop their tech on us early adopters, but I am not sure what their plan for scaling is. The users of Fi are likely a rounding error on the books of the big players, and as soon as that changes then what?

I think it's more than a rounding error. Everyone I've talked to about it seems to either be interested or already signing up.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
I wonder how many Sprint customers defected to Fi. It would be interesting to know.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ixian posted:

Considering it's an invite-only niche service with a waiting list up to 90 days long and only available in select areas....I am guessing drat few. Like, Sprint wouldn't even notice it as a rounding error few.

I thought this month it was no longer invite only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ixian posted:

Glad to hear they are opening it up, I like Fi too much for it to be tanked by Google a couple years in.

Still probably a rounding error for Sprint. Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted if it found widespread success and influenced other carriers to stop being such ridiculous asshats about data and international usage. Fi (and T-Mobile, others) have proven you can make money without gouging your customers (looking at you AT&T).

Oh I think Verizon is no better, but yes ATT is the devil in all telecom functions.