Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

surc posted:

I'm using a Nexus 4 with a severely hosed-up back that is reaching the end of its life, so I am excited for the 5X (and am also not a fan of samsung, hate that UI). Also that was basically my thoughts with FI. If it's T-mobile + more coverage... seems good. I will probably be disabling the whole "use any open wifi network" because ew, but I should still have better coverage, and be paying less.

it encrypts your data when you're on open wifi ;-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Valicious posted:

Really important question, so bear with me while I give a bit of background info.

I need a new phone fast, but it needs to meet some often-overlooked requirements.
My vocal chords are partially paralyzed and my diaphragm is slightly weakened, so the most mics and phones make my voice sound like the regrettable lovechild of Gollum and Darth Vader. I'm struggling with a barely-clinging-to-life Droid Razer right now, and my voice comes out sounding like modulated static played onba phonograph. I used to used an iPhone 4S, and that worked pretty well until the hardware started failing. I'm flying up to Redmond (I live in New Mexico) for an "Ability Summit" (think career fair) where Microsoft and a few other tech giants are looking to hire people with disabilities. I obviously can't be reliant on a nonfunctioning phone during this time, so this is why my questions to you are so critical.

I'm looking at signing up for Fi and getting either the 5X or 6P, but I'm wondering if a few of the upgrades in the 6P justify the extra cost. (especially since the 5X is $199 right now)
My eyeballs are defective, and I'm legally blind in one eye. How much better is the 5.7" 2560x1440 6P vs 5.2" 1440x1080 5X?
The 6P has 3 microphones (2 front, 1 rear) with noise cancellation vs 3 microphones (1 front, 1 top, 1 bottom) with no noise cancelling on the 5X. I would think the 2 fronts mics would help with picking up my voice, does anyone have any impressions/advice on this?
I need a sturdy phone as I can't always gently set it down. Is the aluminium housing on the 6P really that much sturdier than the polycarbonate on the 5X?

The 6P is obviously the better phone, but I can live without the faster processor and more RAM. The things I can't afford to compromise on are voice quality, screen clarity, and durability. I'm having a hard time justifying the $300 price difference, but I will if it will truly make a difference.

Well the mics definitely are superior. The thing about the 2560 x 1440 6P is it's 5.7 inches so that makes it a much more desirable phone for someone in your position. I imagine the ability to see what's on the screen is very important to you. I'm not sure. I wish you lived close to someone who owns one or both phones. I own both. I like the 6P better, but maybe I am being snobby. Perhaps someone with more expertise in the microphones will be more helpful.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Can anyone recommend a signal booster that doesn't use high speed internet that works with Fi? My new house is in a pretty rural location (hence the "doesn't use high speed internet" clause - only satellite available) and the signal isn't great, but neither is any other service provider and I'm basically all in with Google at this point..

I thought all signal boosters used the internet.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

CrapFish posted:

SMS finally works. gently caress yeah.

Cool what exactly was the issue? Did they tell you?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

fknlo posted:

How good is Project Fi customer service? I've never had anything but good customer service experiences with Fiber, but I'm gonna be pushing 2 days with no response on my phone buying thing. The store support person I talked to said I'd be getting an email from Project Fi support within 24 hours. This never happened so I sent them an email since chat was closed yesterday. No reply to that either so far. I can't really wait on them to call me at work based on how my breaks work, is chat going to be my best option to get ahold of them?

e: got ahold of support on chat, they're resetting my signup page. So hopefully after maintenance I'll be able to redo it.

Well every time I've ever talked to them they were fantastic.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

GORDON posted:

I've been enjoying my hard case:

http://www.amazon.com/i-Blason-Armorbox-Hybrid-Built-protector/dp/B015X7P59K

And when I slip the entire thing in here:

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Case-Bag-Eco-Friendly-3iArt%C2%AE/dp/B00XV9TKK8

I have filmed video underwater, it works perfectly. I bought that for kayaking but decided to play do some testing first.

does it fit a 6p I wonder

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
I just experienced an issue with my 6P wanted to give you folks an update. This morning I noticed my charger wasn't working.. so I tried my A to C cable and It didn't work. Basically my phone wouldn't charge. I looked into it and apparently it's happened to other people. Clear your cache and reboot the phone.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

loldance posted:

I have an iphone 5s, which I really like, and I'm visiting Germany in a month and want to be able to use data for maps and translating and whatnot. Does it seem feasible to get the data-only sim and stick it in that phone or am I overlooking something? Has anyone done this recently? I'm in the US and my current service is with Verizon, but their international plan is too expensive for what you get. (Honestly, if I didn't have to buy a new phone, I would switch over right away.)

Here's my experience with Project Fi sims.. A) don't stick them in anything but an android B) If you do stick them in an android be prepared to factory reset it if it screws up C) DO NOT stick someone else's Fi card into your Nexus Phone if you're on Fi.

In essence. Do so at your own risk.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

azurite posted:

Aren't you talking about the regular SIM? I don't think the same rules apply to the data-only SIM.

I think there are substantial differences between the way Fi treats them. The most notable thing is the fact that you'd only be using T-Mobile on the data-only SIM.

Any FI SIM acts this way. A buddy tried to activate his data sim in my phone because he didn't have a nexus and let me tell you. That took a week to fix that cluster gently caress. Every person I've talked to with experience putting SIMs in non nexus phones was a cluster gently caress.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

photomikey posted:

So I've been full-time Google Fi for two days. I don't send a lot of text messages, but sending them from the computer is crucial.

99% of my life is done through my @mybusiness.com e-mail address which runs google apps - my e-mail, calendar, Play music, etc. The only significant thing that's done through my old @gmail.com legacy account is Project Fi which is not usable without an @gmail.com address.

I have sent and received a few text messages from my phone (using Hangouts). Logging into the computer (under either account) doesn't reveal a way to see existing, reply, or send new text messages.

Can somebody walk me through what I'm missing?

Hmm I wish I could remember how but I have had hangouts integrated into my pc for a long time. I admit it is crucial for me too. Call Support, they should be able to walk you through it.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

nocal posted:

Android Police leaked the specs on two HTC-built Nexus devices, presumably to replace the 5X and 6P. They both sound good, presuming HTC doesn't gently caress up the construction.

My last two phones before Nexus 5 and 6P were HTCs and they were pieces of crap, now it could have been all the bloatware from the carrier, but I like the LG and Huawei.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Krinkle posted:

Airplane mode did force wi-fi calling, but it was spotty. I remember I Had a wireless headset that always dropped out and the troubleshooting answered questions on its amazon page said you shouldn't be within 8 feet of the receiver. I'm just a dummy asking a dumb question but can you be too close to a router to do wifi calling?

possibly but I am sitting next to my router within like 3 feet and make wifi calling

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I am having no luck with getting a phone without defects. I'm on my third Nexus 5X, and once the second phone makes it back I will be making another warranty claim. I've read lots of people who had no problems with their first 5X, so I hope that I just need to keep trying.

The first two phones were new-in-box, and both developed an awful buzzing in the earpiece speaker after a week or two, to the point where sometimes I couldn't understand what people were saying. The first one also had a screen with the classic N5X Orange Tinge. The third phone came as a refurb, and it had problems right away, too. The SIM tray doesn't sit flush like the first two, instead it can kind of be pushed inward slightly past the point of flushness, and while I don't know if this is an issue, like, mechanically, it just doesn't sit right with me when I know this is not how it's supposed to be and that it's not my fault. The third one also has the orange tinge to the screen. And I'll note here that I tried doing the developer menu option "use cooler colors", but that helped only marginally in my side-by-side comparisons of the orange-screeners with the second phone (and other sources).

I don't think I've ever bought a piece of electronics where I've had three lemons right off the bat; probably the most annoying thing to me is that the phone would be really awesome if I just got one that worked. I'm glad Fi support has been super easy to deal with, but the whole thing is very frustrating.

That is some awful luck. I wonder if it's a QC issue and that batch that your phones came out of was a bad batch.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

withoutclass posted:

I had the same experience with my N5. It sucked but was kind of nice getting a new phone for free every couple months.

My N5 was the best phone I had ever owned up until I got this 6P. In some ways I still like my N5 better than my 6P I hope that Google goes back to LG for the next Nexus phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

McPhearson posted:

I think the thing about the data difference coming from Sprint is since Sprint's data network is such poo poo people tend to have low use since they literally can't download more. When my company switched from Sprint to AT&T people jumped from using maybe 200mb a month to 1gb+ now that YouTube and all those streaming apps now actually loaded and ran in HD everywhere without buffering.

This is basically it.. I came from sprint ... back almost a year ago.. I was barely using 500MB a month.. then I started using 2GB a month on Fi... now.. last month I used over 4GB.. BUT I was off Wi-FI a lot.. if you stick around wi-fi most days your usage shouldn't be all that high.

The fact is.. Sprint's network is poo poo..