Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

COULD IT FINALLY BE?!?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/12/09/android-6-0-1-fixes-the-annoying-failed-mms-bug-in-marshmallow/

Also, I ordered a 5x and 6p for myself and my wife last weekend. Still have no shipping update. Any estimates from recent purchasers?

EDIT: of course as soon as I post I get a shipping confirmation. So looks to be about 4 business days for anyone interested.

amenenema fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Does anyone else get confused as hell trying to figure out what method their messages are going out on? I use hangouts, and I am constantly confused when I send someone a hangouts message, and never hear back to later see I sent it to their gmail account and not their phone number. Or vice versa. And It seems messenger will do much of what hangouts does, further confusing me. I turned off SMS in hangouts, but they kept coming in and out. Fi has only made this more confusing than when I was on a Nexus 5.

It actually simplified it for me. Everything goes from Hangouts, and the little SMS in the corner of the text field tells me it's going old school, a green hangouts symbol means 21st century.

Knifegrab posted:

I just signed up for google fi, and put a 64 Gb 6P on finance. I am so excited to get my new phone and to put verizon behind me forever!

Yaaaaaaay! :D

edit: Has anyone figured out why they make you sign up for a plan at all? If everything is a flat rate for data, why even bother at all?

Because it's pre-pay.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

It really does not matter. The price is prorated up or down to the MB, so if you go over or under you just pay or are credited that amount.

Yeah, this. It truly doesn't matter.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Since 6.0.1 and Fi, Hangouts is perfect on both my 5X and the wife's 6P. I'd assume this is what iMessage is like - everything just works. MMS/SMS/video calling/chat/whatever. And everything syncs 100% to the chrome desktop app. It is quite simply perfect in every way.

So I have to assume Google will break it tomorrow.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Anybody else get the prompt in the Fi app to take a survey on the service? It asked me a question about if I would want to know what service I was on at any time, so perhaps that's in the works...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Darkpriest667 posted:

Today I was at a staff development meeting at an elementary school. Of the 10 people there no one had phone service EXCEPT FOR ME. When they asked who my service was I told them Google. I may have converted most of them right there. I showed them how it worked, how I was billed, and I showed them that it currently said my hold time for customer service was 1 minute via phone.

I've had pretty much the same experience at a few different functions. Thanks Google!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Valicious posted:

Just ordered the 32BG Nexus 5x in Charcoal, a Xtreme Guard Spartan TGSP, and now I'm trying to decide on a case. I've been told Driztonic is good. Are there any battery cases out there?
I hope I don't regret getting the 5X over the 6P. I've been reading about poor battery life, yellowish screen tint, and slow downs due to lack of RAM...

Case - get the Google one with the fabric back, it's dope
Battery - I get about 2-3 hours of screen on time and a full day's use with no battery saving measures
Tint - none on mine, new update gives you the option to go cooler on colors if you want though
Slowdowns - fixed post-March update

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Hangouts is 100% flawless all the time on my 5X. SMS, MMS, VM, video, etc. Being able to text/picture message/make/receive calls from a computer is the bee's knees too.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Any reviews in here on how their 5x responded to 7.1? I have the update taunting me but after getting burned on an older tablet I thought I would wait a bit.

Bricked mine about a week after installation. Contacted Fi, they told me I could either pay my deductible or send it to LG. I opted to send it to LG (mid-Dec) because at the time they were doing refunds for the bootloop issue. By the time they got it they changed their policy and it sat in a TX facility for three weeks getting a new mainboard. It is currently being sent back to me (expect it tomorrow/Sat) - fixed at no charge.

In the interim, Fi admitted that they should have replaced it with no deductible cost when I first contacted them, but since I didn't have the phone in hand there was nothing they could do (cross-shipping requires the original device back in 7 days, no exceptions, and if it doesn't get to them in 7 days they charge you the full price for the phone).

So I was without a phone for almost a month, but didn't have to pay anything. We'll see if it holds up once I get it back and start using it.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

YouTube Music is fine, I switched when prompted. The interface is different, but not "difficult" or anything. And frankly Google Podcasts is better than GPM was (for podcasts).

Unrelated, has anyone had issues with the free 100GB of Google One storage through an unlimted Fi plan? As of Monday I got errors in both Gmail and Drive saying I only had the default 15GB of storage (vs the 100GB I've had since I paid for it in Drive and then started getting it for free through Fi Unlimited). Support has been AWFUL at understanding what's going on. They say on their end that it looks like I canceled my Google One subscription (probably shows that because it was when I switched to the unlimited plan) but in my Google One account settings it shows me on the 100GB plan (and says "discounted by Fi"). They keep telling me to just "choose the 100GB plan" which I can't because I'm already on it, it's just that it's not propagating over to the places that actually use the storage (Drive/Gmail).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

Airplane mode should override any WiFi settings and turn it off.
I think you're missing order of operations - if the user put the phone in airplane mode and THEN turned on WiFi then cellular service should be off, and WiFi should be on, right?

Unfortunately I don't know what's wrong, but the steps sound right to me!