Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
I was tempted to switch from T-Mobile, but I ran into two things which were a dealbreaker for me:

* I couldn't port my Google Voice number. When I asked some random person at Google Support about this, they claimed it was because the area code the number was from (319 - Southeast/East Central Iowa) didn't have both T-Mobile and Sprint service. Most of Iowa outside Des Moines doesn't have 'proper' T-Mobile coverage, it's through a separate regional carrier called i wireless, they aren't an MVNO, they just have a roaming agreement with T-Mobile. This leads into the next big problem.

* You apparently have to be in an area with both Sprint AND T-Mobile coverage for Fi to 'work'. This didn't make sense to me and I asked the Support person to confirm this multiple times. It just seems really stupid as the primary use case would be that you were somewhere that didn't have one carrier coverage or the other. This especially doesn't make sense when Ixian explained how it works internationally.

Does anyone here with experience have any explanation for the above two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Ixian posted:

I don't think that is the primary use case though - for Google, anyway. I think they require service coverage in both areas because the entire basis of the agreement they worked out with the carriers is the service wouldn't be exclusive to one or the other. It's supposed to mix.

So it's either contractual with the carriers - because if you were in an area with just Sprint coverage, you really wouldn't be getting Fi, you'd be getting Sprint resold at a different rate by Google - or it's a Google thing.

By the latter, I mean you have to consider what Fi is - one of Googles little experiments. I seriously doubt they care about the revenue this generates. The bigger picture is more about if/how they can achieve a kind of "meta carrier" status. Also consider what Google is: A data collection/analytic company.

With that in mind, having customers who were in "home" areas with only one carrier would do them no good, because they wouldn't get good data on network switching (other than WiFi, which lots of carriers do now) etc.

That makes sense, and it explains why they would have trouble porting my Google Voice number, as Fi is probably operating as an MVNO for both Sprint and T-Mobile at the same time, and using custom radio firmware to make that distinction more transparent (you probably wouldn't know if you were on a Sprint or T-Mob tower at any given time without diagnostic tools).

I guess the only thing holding me back at this point is the GVoice number, but I guess I felt especially burnt by that since the whole reason I moved to using a Google Voice number several years ago was to avoid changing numbers and worrying about porting when going from carrier to carrier.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

Waitttt, so you can't port the number back to google voice after? They offer that for 20 bucks..Now I'm even more confused. I figured the only thing you lose is the voice app, which has everything in hangouts anyway functionally. You "port" your number to fi, lose google voice app access, but then could port the number back to voice if you cancel fi, and then port it over to a carrier later...am I wrong?

This is literally what I see when I try to sign up for Fi:

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

I had some weird issues sometimes when going to areas that don't have T-Mobile coverage, but there is coverage available with regional carriers who have roaming agreements with T-Mobile (I wireless in Iowa, Bug Tussel in Wisconsin). Data wouldn't connect until I toggled airplane mode on and off.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Dang and here I was hoping they announced more third-party full feature support for non-Google phones on Fi :(