Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Near as I can tell, they send you the SIM Card, and you have to remember where you put it when you finally decide to activate the service. Other than that, nothing else changes until you activate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Darkpriest667 posted:

Anyone having an issue receiving texts from short code numbers? I have been having quite an issue with it and still back and forth with support over it.

I haven't had issues receiving shortcode messages from Mint, Citizens Bank, Paypal, USPS, or that VerifyPhoneSMS service that Yahoo and Steam use.

For what it's worth, I'm using Hangouts as the default SMS app on Nexus 6P

maltesh
May 20, 2004

pass the butter posted:

ooh. Was charging my 5x, went to check on it... boy it sure is warm... really warm...

Charge port cooked. Could smell the magic smoke escaping. Yikes. I'm getting a replacement, no questions from the reps, but I just ported my number over. Not fun!

What were you using to charge it, if we may ask? Was it the charger and cable it came with, or something else?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Darkpriest667 posted:

Sounds like your router. I have this router here

I connect to 5GHZ all the time.

Aye, I have a Netgear R7000 as well, picked it up refurbished from Newegg back in July for about $100. It's been the best router I've ever owned, and my 6P has no trouble connecting to its 5GHz band.

Got my Fi Data Sim today, Looks like it will not work in a CR-48 afterall.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ixian posted:

I have the Ringke clear case:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01637DS70

It's really good. Has held up well over the last couple months too.

That's the one I picked up, too. My only complaint is that the small headphone jack hole means that if your plug isn't first-gen iPhone slim, you probably won't be able to use it with the case on.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ixian posted:

That seems a little weird, it works fine with my Bose n/c headphones and the jack on that is normal size, and at a right angle to boot. Maybe a manufacturing defect?

I guess it is regular size, now that I think about it and look at the cases I have on some of my other devices. It hasn't really been an issue with the headphones I use on those rare occasions when I'm not using the bluetooth horsecollar.

The issue has come up with the line-in cables I have lying around or permanently attached to some of my devices, however. That said, adaptors or new cables are pretty inexpensive, too.

Objection withdrawn.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Jacobin posted:

Ordered a 6P and Fi sim a few days ago.

I plan to use my iPhone 6 in a no-sim / wifi / tethered to the 6P capacity in the interim until I sell it for continued access to Apple Apps

Am moderately excite

Could also get them to send one of those free Data-Only Sims and throw that in your iPhone 6.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is the $10 Google Play money thing still going on as well as the other stuff for the holidays?

Yes, there's been new stuff to click on https://fiholiday.withgoogle.com/ every week, though everything else so far been holiday quizzes, arts and crafts, factoids, charity promotions, and phone use tips.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Articles are starting to pop up about people getting replacement Pixels for their 6Ps (one showed up in my feed earlier today,) so I imagine things are getting a bit more stringent now as word gets around and supplies dwindle.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I'm on a PixelXL on Fi, over the last week or so, I've noticed much higher data usage over the past week, especially on Pocket Casts, which is /really/ strange, because I always had Pocket Casts set to /never/ download podcasts when off Wifi.

Fi app is reporting nearly 300 MB of usage today, and I've not done /any/ downloading off wifi. Is this happening to anyone else?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Weird. At any rate, for the rest of my billing period (up to the 20th), I wound up killing all my auto-downloads, just to be certain. Also sent support an email, and was told that they'd credit $5 to my account. I'm honestly not sure what happened last billing period. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on things this billing period.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

MonkeyFit posted:

I noticed much higher data usage recently which I suspect is due to Facebook and FB Messenger. I turned on Data Saver and that seems to have lowered my data to acceptable amounts. Have you tried that yet? You can give apps unrestricted data use on a per app basis.

Yeah, I've had DataSaver on since I cracked 300MB in a day. WIll have to look into that whitelisting.

Over the past ten days my data usage has been more in line with what I expected (300 MB total.) Pocket Cast's usage is what I'd expect with it checking the large number of Podcast RSS Feeds instead of downloading episodes, so things seem to be back to relatively normal.

Still unsure what really happened.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

effika posted:

I'll try it out on my Pixel 3; pretty sure I'm going to port my number over.

Anybody have a referral code?

Here you go. https://g.co/fi/r/TYP0VW

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone up thread mentioned using their tablet; now that Google has opened up Fi to non-Fi phones, does that mean tablets could also work? I have an Amazon Fire HD 10 that I don't use data on currently. I don't really need to but it would be nice to have the option.

Does the Fire HD 10 have a SIM Card slot or cellular radios? Wikipedia seems to indicate that only the Kindle Fire HD (8.9" version) from 2012 supports cellular connectivity.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Might be a dumb question but does google go offer an ESIM?

Yes, Google Fi offers an ESIM. My Pixel 3XL is using one.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

My phone's power button became super sensitive sometimes and is clicking itself and opening the camera and going into bootloops. Fi support had me factory reset the phone.

1. My phone number doesn't work until I install the Fi app.
2. I go to log into my Google account on the phone and it asks for two factor identification.
3. I can't get a SMS code because of #1.
4. Luckily it sent a direct message to a tablet I'm logged into. What if I didn't have a tablet?

For future, use the app-based two-step authentication on your Google Account (and wherever else available) instead of the SMS, and store the backup codes provided and (and an image of the generating QR code) in a secure location that you can get to in an emergency.

That way, as long as you have the backup codes, or a device that has an authenticator-compatible app that knows what time it is, you'll be able to get back into the account (assuming the reason you're locked out is accident, rather than malfeasance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Got my Pixel 6 yesterday. Tried to buy a6 PRO on the day of the release, but couldn't nab a 256 MB version, and ultimately decided I wanted 256 MB of storage more than 1 wanted a larger phone.

Are there any glass screen protectors that work with the fingerprint reader? The one I ordered (ivoler [6 Pack] Screen Protector for Google Pixel 6) wouldn't recognize any of my fingerprints, even the ones I added with the glass screen protector on.