Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I asked this in the android thread, but how does the switching to wifi spots work in Fi? Is it pretty seamless? Does it make a difference in terms of data use?

I'm going to sign up tonight- the cost will likely be a wash, but I'll be able to upgrade my Nexus 4 and wife will replace her Nexus 5, so it's worth trying, I think. I'm wavering in whether to get the 6p or not...form factor and the amoled screen potential for burn-in are making me pause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
One other question- is there any point to setting a data usage amount? If you just set it to 1GB, for example, they're going to charge the regular rate if you go over, and if you're under you'll get a credit. I don't see the point.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I gave in- nexus 5x for wife, nexus 6p for me. They won't start charging for service until I activate it right? Her phone ships in one day, mine in 4-6 weeks. I'd like to avoid having to break up my current service if possible.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
For anyone that was waiting, I had an original ship date of Dec 3-6th for my 6P- it shipped yesterday and was upgraded to overnight shipping so it should be waiting at home for me now. So they're turning these things around pretty quickly.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The 6p is nice but it's heavy. I also wince every time I put it on the table... It just feels like the glass is gonna break. Looking forward to getting my case next week.

Also, service is great for me. I'm in southern California and I'm either in lte or hspa all the time. I haven't yet encountered any of the public WiFi spots..is there a list/coverage map of them?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Lord Yod posted:

The wife and I are considering making the switch from T-Mobile, but a holdup is that she wants to try out the 6P and the 5X and compare them before she buys. Is there any possible way to do this? The only thing I can think of is buying one of each and returning or selling the one we don't want, but that seems suboptimal.

I don't think there's anywhere to try before you buy, unfortunately. They only sell the devices online afaik, but they do have a generous return policy. You can get a good sense of them just using wifi, FWIW, but the initial outlay of money is the issue.

Darkpriest667 posted:

which case did you get

I went with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017NE0PD2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01. I wanted a slim clear case, and that seems to be the best one.

One thing I've noticed coming from a Nexus 4 (and my wife from a Nexus 5) is that my hand hits the volume buttons, since they've switched sides from the old devices. I'm hoping the case also helps prevent that some.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Glass of Milk posted:

I went with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017NE0PD2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01. I wanted a slim clear case, and that seems to be the best one.

Got this today and I'm pleased. The cut outs are nicely sized so no worries about USB or headphone jacks not fitting. The side buttons are just above the level of the case, so they're not as obvious but also not lost inside the case. It's slim and the material doesn't seem to hold smudges.

I'd rate the grip as a 7- it's a vast improvement over the bare phone but not as good as something that's ridged. I don't feel like I'm going to drop it when I get it from my pocket and feel better about putting it down flat on the table, and that's good enough for me, especially with the fit and finish otherwise.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I've been using the 6p for like two weeks and it already feels normal. I have an iPhone 5s for work and it seems tiny.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I thought it was just a Black Friday thing. Guess we'll know tomorrow

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I got my Lego thing... It's actually a package of Lego bricks and instructions to make a phone stand or cable organizer.

I've had no complaints with service on my 6p, but my wife has had weirdness at home with WiFi calling on her 5x

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The default stand configuration is OK for the 6p but it doesn't work well in landscape or with the cable.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
No idea if the update works but it did get pushed to me this morning.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I found a fi WiFi point at a..panera, I think? The only difference I found was that it auto connected and encrypted the connection (key showing in WiFi icon). That's the only place I've noticed it happen

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
My home cable was out for the last 6 days because someone ran over the box outside- I've noticed my LTE speeds inside have been pretty rotten. Not a big deal, but broadband outages are something to consider if you are thinking of switching over

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Mine is comparable to my T-Mobile bill- around $100 for both my wife and I, but we financed the phones, so once they're paid off I expect around $80 for both of us.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
My wife has found a weird distortion effect on her front-facing camera on her 5x. Everything near the top and bottom edges seems to distort...I'm not sure if it's a lens issue or not, but Google seems unable/unwilling to replace the device.

She's not interested in getting a 6p, so she may not be long for the Fi world.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 1, 2016

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I don't think it is. I just know a lot more people in this thread will have had experience with the 5x than those in the Android thread.

I think it's almost certainly a lens issue. I ordered back in October when they first came out so maybe I'll try a replacement

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Google sent a replacement for wife's phone, but it still has the same issue- if you're perfectly centered in the picture it's not noticeable, but close-up stuff stretches out near the edges.

It's not too big a deal- I should be able to sell the device for around $350 which is about what I owe on it, and I'll still have her $50 play credit to use.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

McPhearson posted:

I had that exact issue on a Note 4 and a gs6. I think everyone is starting to switch to fisheye lenses or something now.

Yep, I think it's even on the 6p, but I don't care about it. I guess it's intended to allow groups to take selfies.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
If you sign up for Fi and order the 5X, you get the phone and the Fi SIM in the mail together. Pop the new SIM in and you're set to go.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

surc posted:

I know it's silly of me in this day of technology, but I just get antsy with the concept of sending potentially sensitive data out over whatever random public connection is out there. Tech companies mess up security measures all the time, google has done it several times I can think of off the top of my head. If I notice I'm having terrible service, I might try turning it on, otherwise, I'll probably leave it disabled. :shrug:

If you connect to one of Fi's hotspots, it automatically encrypts the data, I believe.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
When you get it, let me know if you see the same kind of weird distortion on the front facing camera.. I've gone back and forth with Google only to have them tell me, "yep, that's a thing."

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Well, lesson learned about keeping the 6p in my back pocket when sitting- I managed to bend it enough that the thin metal bezel around the volume buttons popped out. Fortunately, I was able to bend it back into place with some pliers, but the phone has a slight curve in it. Oops!

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Probably going to ditch Fi soon. It's got a good features set, but with my corporate discount I can get 2 unlimited lines at tmo for $100 and my wife can get an iphone and stop bitching about her 5x selfie camera.

I'm a little surprised they haven't tried to push down their data rates considering the phones they offer are supposed to sync with the cloud for everything.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Javid posted:

What's wrong with it? Mine occasionally acts fuckity too, curious if it's a common issue.

It has a significant fisheye effect if something is near the edges of the picture. I think it's intended functionality to allow more people into a group selfie, but she hates it.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's also true on the 6p. I think it's just a thing phone manufacturers do.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I went to Fi because I got a good discount on the phone(s) plus I think $50 for each phone in the play store. I was happy with my previous Nexus phone as well which helped me choose and Fi was reasonable compared to other carriers at the time.

I'll also say that the Fi customer service is very good- they replaced my wife's phone without question twice (in the warranty period).

I switched away because I got a good deal at T-mobile and was happy with them previously, and they're going to be about as much as my Fi is- my work stopped offering free wifi so I'm on LTE for 8 hours a day which boosts me to about 3GB of data every month. So the choice was basically a wash other than the fact I can do unlimited streaming with T-Mobile, which is a big one with a kid who wants to watch youtube videos or stream kids music in the car.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's fine. I wish there were a way to block SMS messages

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Those of you that got a replacement phone out of warranty, did they charge you for the replacement before you sent back the old phone? Mine has a small dent by the volume control- will that negate the free replacement?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I got my replacement and they already accepted my return as soon as I had dropped off the old one at FedEx. Amazing how much better this refurb is than the old one.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I got a replacement 6p for my old battery hosed one, but this one seems to reboot randomly during the day. I hate to contact support again, but it's pretty annoying- anyone seen this issue/found resolution for it?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I chatted online with Fi today about my replacement 6p's reboot issue and they're sending me a Pixel XL 32 gb (same as my 6p) replacement. So they must have some of those available still. Maybe it was because the replacement still was under warranty.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Email seems useless- I emailed about the recurrence of the issue on Tuesday but never got a response. I've always had good luck with the chat.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It sounds like it's in purgatory somewhere. I already got notification that the new device had shipped and will arrive tomorrow.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It just sucks you can't get anyone to give you an update. I'd almost suggest having them cancel and reorder the replacement in case it got hung up somewhere. Mine is on the FedEx truck to my house, just a little over 24h since I put in the call to try and get one, so it seems like it should be possible.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I feel for you. Fwiw, if you do get it, the Pixel seems like a decent phone.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Good! Sorry it took so long.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
They have a group plan that's $5 off the normal monthly cost, so you'll save a tiny bit.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The only complaint I have with the Nexus vs the 6p is the speaker volume and the lack of stereo speakers. Its fine with headphones, at least at home, but I used to be able to play music out of the phone and be satisfied with the quality and volume. Not so anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Both of my replacements were given out of warranty with no replacement plan, offered as warranty replacements. No idea why, but they were offered without me asking specifically for them.