Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ranter posted:

I haven't heard of this before with modern phones/batteries.

Yeah its not a thing with modern batteries. Besides when it left the factory it was charged to 100% its 'first time', and its only less than that because its been sitting in some stock warehouse or backroom. Or if you bought it in a store and they turn it on and put a sim card or whatever to activate it they are turning it on without charging it to max first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Humerus posted:

You can still buy them, it's just kind of hidden. Log in to the Fi website and it's under "Your Plan" along with the option of ordering a data-only SIM.

I didn't know they offered a data-only sim, and now I ordered one. I have a cheap unlocked phone that I keep in my car just for music and such but this will give it a few extra uses.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

azurite posted:

Anyone play with a data-only SIM with one of those cheapass BLU phones? I'm going to try it since it has all the right bands. Me and the gf are going to Toronto soon, but we'll need to communicate abroad somehow because we're not arriving together. She has a locked AT&T iPhone that I don't want to mess with.

I'll gladly provide a trip report if nobody's attempted this.

Hahaha oh man:
https://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/international/international-cell-phones.html

I have a BLU phone I keep in my car just to play podcasts and music and I tried putting a Fi data-only sim in it and while it shows that its connected to the Fi network it won't let me do anything on it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

azurite posted:

Following up on the data-only sim in the BLU R1 HD. Works fine, so far! The nano-SIM is too small (the phone will take two micros), but I was able to lay it in place and close the tray. I have an adapter on the way. At home, I get LTE and was able to do a Hangouts call on it. We'll see what happens in Canada. The Fi guys on Reddit seem to think it'll work fine.

Glad it worked for you. The one I have also has the dual sim holder but mine came with a metal clip to hold it in place. Maybe I just had crappy alignment or something, since you had success I'll have to give it another try on mine.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Fi is giving away $10 bucks in play credit to subscribers, credit to android police for tipping me off. fiholiday.withgoogle.com

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/12/06/project-fis-holiday-themed-site-offers-10-google-play-credit-and-cheerful-activities-to-subscribers/

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 7, 2016

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The last day of the cycle I went to bed being just being shy of 3gb of data used. I woke up because my phone was buzzing with a data overage alert and it showed that my data usage jumped to over 7gb used. I was pretty WTF about it and was going to call support but when I opened my account info it showed that they were going to charge me 0.00 for it. Pretty weird but the bill finalized where it normally does so whatever.

I just checked my account now and that data spike isn't even on there anymore at all.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Been a project fi user since they launched in 2015 with the 6p and its finally dying. Battery only holds less than third of its original capacity. As I'm sure you know Google's awesome selection of phones right now on the google store is the pixel 2 and the pixel 2 xl.

Picked up the 2 xl. Hopefully I will continue to dodge the problems I see frequently in this thread. Oh and for my well preserved 6p absent of any screen damage I am getting like 60 bucks. I am getting that free google home mini and $100 credit though.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Khanstant posted:

My Nexus 5X screen has been cracked for a little while, I bought some clear screen protector thing thinking to just patch it up because gently caress it, screen still works but screen protector thing wants me to get the phone all wet and soapy, and then leave it alone for 8 hours to dry up so I'm just going to assume this is a bad idea what with the cracks and all. Last phone I cracked I used a strip of clear packing tape as a screen mender and it was great, so I'll probably just do that.

Is that a film screen protector as opposed to a tempered glass one? I remember buying those kits with the spray bottle and rubber squeegee. All the glass protectors Ive gotten have used some sort of adhesive that keeps the screen in place but allows you to remove it without any residue left behind. That would help.

As far as the battery goes, I would agree with everyone else and upgrade.