Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Per the advice of this thread, I've always done airplane mode+WiFi on when at home, so I can force WiFi calls and texts due to poor cell reception. That said, per the Reddit thread's advice I checked dev. options and found that Mobile Data Always Active was already off, I probably turned it off myself at some point.

What really irks me is when I try to make a phone call from home and get the message "Turn off Airplane Mode to make a call".

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Since I'm a 2TB Google Drive customer, I got an email offering me a free Home Mini. So I ordered it and had it sent to my office.

Somehow they were "unable to deliver" to an office building in downtown Chicago, so it was sent back. Google's solution was to have me re-order at full price, then refund me once I receive it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

When I'm at home, I put my phone into airplane mode then turn on WiFi to force WiFi Calling and texting.

Works great, except sometimes when it says "turn off airplane mode to make a call"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Whenever I'm at home or at work, I put my phone into airplane mode then connect wifi. I'm still somehow pushing 2GB/month and paying more than I expected overall, so once this phone is paid off in a couple of months I'm either switching back to Sprint or trying out T-Mobile.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How does the Moto G7 compare to the X4? Worth the 50% off sale this weekend?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Spaseman posted:

This deal on the Pixel 3 XL makes me really tempted to switch to Google Fi. Are people generally pretty happy with Fi? I don't use a lot of wireless data so the price looks really good to me but Google can be pretty bad with their support for their projects and services so it makes me a bit worried.

Service is fine, I've had no trouble with it in Canada, the UK, and France. My bills are not as low as I hoped they'd be, considering my usage, so I'm going to switch in the next month or two (one payment remaining on this phone).

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

He can do that later when he has access to a SIM injector.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I doubt a straightened out paper clip is narrow enough, it definitely isn't for my Moto X4.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just ordered my free Nest Mini, thanks for the heads up. I still haven't opened my free home mini from a few months ago.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today my phone told me a restart was required to complete set up, I did so and now it doesn't get better than 3G. does this have to do with Sprint networks being absorbed by T-Mobile?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

From Fi's website: "You'll have calls, texts, and data on T-Mobile's network as well as international roaming. You won't be able to make calls or text over Wi-Fi, use visual voicemail, or use data hotspot outside the US." Also, texting will work with some additional setup, but iMessage works right away. All phones must run iOS 11.0 or higher.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It had me stuck on 3G all weekend, when it wasn't dipping into 1x. Since I haven't been outside today I suppose I'll go for a walk tonight to see if it's unfucked.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's because you have Gmail open in a tab

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

bigman.50grand posted:

My OG Pixel XL is on its last legs so I ordered a 4a from Fi. Unfortunately, I don't think the OG is going to make it the 3 weeks until the 4a arrives. Is there a sub-$100 Fi compatible phone anyone can recommend if I need something in the meantime? I don't game or need anything with a ton of horsepower to speak of, but I'd like to be still be able to use like Twitter or the Awful app.

I still have my old Moto X4 that I could sell you for cheap.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Whose network would they ride on? T-Mobile doesn't have service in Canada

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah I am a Fi user and a Canadian living in the US, and have had no trouble using Fi in Canada/the UK/France, but I don't think they're going to sell plans on roaming agreements.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Got a notification about a new VPN for my phone from Google One. Worth using?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Typically when I'm home I put my phone into airplane mode, then turn on WiFi. Lately, my phone hasn't been ringing when people call me, and I can confirm WiFi Calling is enabled. When I try to make a call, I get a message saying "turn off Airplane Mode to make a call"

Annoying because this has worked most of the time, and when it hasn't worked it has eventually started working again at some point.

Is wait for another update to fix this all I can do? Or is there any other insight into this?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"I put my phone into airplane mode, then turn on WiFi."

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hirayuki posted:

Airplane mode should override any WiFi settings and turn it off.

No. That's not true. Once I put my phone into airplane mode, I manually turn on WiFi and all my web-connected apps work just fine. WiFi Calling used to work just fine too, but has recently stopped working.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So what ultimately fixed my issue with WiFi Calling, at the suggestion of Fi support, was to reboot my phone into Safe Mode. WiFi Calling then started to work. The tech believed it may be a recently installed app causing the issue.

I updated a bunch of apps while in Safe Mode, then reverted to normal mode and tested. Seems to be working now, so either a quick trip to Safe Mode did the trick, or an update to an app.

EDIT: Never mind, it stopped working again. Right after Messages updated.

EDIT 2: Working again after a Safe Mode boot and reverting to normal again.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 4, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Seems hacky all right. It's not working again this morning after I got it working again last night. Given that it starts working in Safe Mode, then works briefly after reverting to normal mode, it does sound potentially like an app interfering - just not sure if it's a native Google/Android/Moto app or a 3rd party one.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Welp, the WiFi Calling culprit seems to be the VPN by Google One.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I was considering dumping Fi last year, until the pandemic came along and I ended up working from home almost all the time. Now I have no reason to leave it since I rarely use data outside of WiFi.

For me, the VPN broke WiFi calling as well as connectivity of my job's VOIP app. Turned it off and everything started working again.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Fi phones are unlocked, correct? I could buy an extra one and gift it to a T-Mobile user, they could activate it no problem?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Got my G Power last summer and I love it. Just wish I could get a $50 one brand new for my dad to replace his frustrating LG. He's on Sprint T-Mobile but I guess the deal's only for Fi users, new or current.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Smashed my 2020 Moto G Power's screen on the sidewalk today, Fi offered to let me take it someplace to get it repaired for $19, or replace it for $39. I went with the latter, figuring I might get a fresher battery.

The replacement phone will be a G8 Power. Doesn't seem like there's much difference, unless I'm missing something. It's refurbished, anyone know if Google's refurbishment includes installing a new battery?

I might offer the G8 to my dad and if he wants it I'll just order myself one of the other Motos on sale.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So a few weeks back I dropped my Moto G Power and smashed the screen. I have the insurance, so I contacted Fi support. For $19 I could take it to a shop to replace the screen, or for $39, I could get a new phone and send the old one back. I chose the latter.

New (refurb) phone arrives, I pack up the old one with the RMA slip and use the provided FedEx label to return it. As the weeks pass, I get emails saying "Have you returned your old phone yet?" I check the tracking and see it was signed for on March 11th.

Today I get an email saying "We have charged you for your new phone" and I'm seeing red, so I get on a chat support with the Google Store. They transfer me to Fi chat support who tells me, "It's not a charge, it's a hold. You should see it released in 2-14 business days."

Is this accurate? Everything in the email says it's a charge. Should I give them the benefit of doubt and wait to see if this is true? Or try again and see if I reach someone else who tells me different?

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 23, 2021

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

St_Ides posted:

What does your credit card say?

Says the charge is pending

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm curious as to what exactly, if anything, is better about the 2021 edition of the G Power. As I recall it has a smaller battery and a lower res screen. EDIT: nm on the battery, but the 2021 weighs about 5% more and has a Snapdragon 662 vs a 665 in the 2020, not sure which is faster or more charge-efficient. However the 2021 may have a nicer camera.

I like my 2020 G Power, although I'm annoyed that it doesn't have NFC. My old x4 has that.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 26, 2021

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bloodplay it again posted:

The battery life on the Moto G Power is incredibly good and the camera is significantly better than the one on the X4. I honestly don't know why or how they are still available at $50.

"Note: This promotion ended on 2021-04-22 09:44:59 PST" :(

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

a mysterious cloak posted:

It's the 2020 version that's $50. The 2021 version is the usual price.

Click the promotion details

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

This may be a question for the Android thread, but is there a way to browse and restore deleted voicemails? My mother passed away overnight and while I do have one VM from her, I'd like to check for any others.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cross-posting from the Android thread:

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Lately I've not been getting occasional new texts. Sometimes I'll even be looking at my phone and I'll see the "Messages is processing a new incoming message" notification, then nothing. I just went to messages.google.com/web this morning and saw a text that I missed last night, the sender followed up on it this morning. Even now, my phone is showing me the text from this morning and my reply to it, but not the one from last night. Moto G Power (2020), Android 11, on Google Fi.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Going to the UK in September. Will I be able to make calls to UK numbers while in the UK, and if i do will it be considered an international cal or in country?

You could also try getting a prepaid SIM. Then you'd be using a UK number to make and receive calls.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So what do iPhones lose on Fi now, anything? I have a friend who's a committed iPhone user but he was interested in Fi. I'm also thinking of leaving Android for the dark side.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ThermoPhysical posted:

You can't jump between T-Mobile, Sprint, or US Cellular towers, you're on T-Mobile towers, you won't get 5G, and I think that's literally it now that Wi-Fi Calling and the VPN are there as well as international tethering.

You DO however get eSIM which only Pixels and iPhones can do on Fi, apparently. Weird that no other phones get it I think?

Thanks, on top of that he was on Sprint with iPhone Forever and now that he's T-Mo, I assume he's got their equivalent if they have one. So he'd lose that too, but that may not be a dealbreaker for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does the insurance cover a phone that I buy used, instead of from Fi/Google?