Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I really want to switch to Project Fi but I am worried since I live in rural GA (Ludowici to be exact) that my coverage will be horrible. T-Mobile says I will get 4g in my location but Project Fi says 2g. Since Comcast finally laid the lines in my area I have been using very little data on my Verizon UDP line (I think I was under 3gb and the only reason it was that high was I forgot to connect to my wifi at the house)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

Ixian posted:

If your current Verizon phone has a Nano (not Micro) sim - I am assuming you are still using Verizon - you can use it easily in a 5x or 6p (or a 6 for that matter). As long as you already have an active account you literally can just swap it in and out i.e. if you end up wanting to stay with Verizon or want to do side-by-side comparisons you can.

That way, as Darkpriest667 points out, you can just try Fi out. The Fi sim kit is free with the service and the service has no contract terms at all. And the 6p is a fantastic phone no matter what you use it on (some people feel the same about the 5x but I would go with the 6p) - it will work on your Verizon account.

If your current phone doesn't have a Nano sim or you let your Verizon account lapse you could be in for some work, because while the 5x and 6p work perfectly fine on Verizon, they haven't "certified" them yet, meaning new activations are a pain in the rear end. This includes swapping a Micro sim for a Nano sim (also, if you go that route, obviously the new sim won't work in your old phone, but as mentioned the new phone is a good idea anyway).

If I only had a Nexus phone (I am using a Droid Turbo). I know Straight Talk works really well in my area (I moved my wife's UDP line to it since she never uses data, but she has a S6) but for me to even test the Project Fi would be a pretty big investment (None of my friends/coworkers have a Nexus phone).