Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

West Ham Sandwich posted:

Nope. The card crafting system is pretty much identical to Hearthstone, except the crafting menu is somehow worse than Hearthstone's.

I have never played Hearthstone, so, that doesn't mean much to me. Haven't messed with crafting yet anyway though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

You buy packs (the spirit shard things) via however you choose. Then there are 4 rarities, white = common, blue = rare, purple = epic, burnt orange = legendary. They disenchant for 10/20/100/350 respectively, and cost 40/100/400/900 to craft (I think, they are slightly different than Hearthstone but that seems about right.) Some cards are only available via leveling up your chosen faction.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, thanks for the info. Things seem to be going well for me so far. Been playing because I'm trying to reset my sleep schedule and need something to do, have played a fair amount of ranked games and have beaten all the training room ones except the last two in the final category, which are actually fairly difficult. (Everything prior was easy for the most part, with a few tricky ones. A few I solved in what I'm pretty sure wasn't the intended manner since I didn't do what the hints said.)

I am also really bad at this game, losing more often than I win (or at least it feels like I do, not entirely sure). Might just be because I'm using the starter decks still, but I do dumb stuff pretty frequently.

Also, got two legendaries in the packs I've gotten so far. "Spectral Revenant", some Abyssian thing, and "Sarlac the Eternal", a neutral guy who seems to be impossible to kill without dispel and seems like he'd be hilariously stupid in the right deck. Nothing particularly interesting for Vetruvian or Magmar, though.

For leveling up to 11 for each faction, should I just keep using the starter decks or try to make custom ones for it? I've gotten Magmar to 11 already, but I'm not sure what to go for with deckbuilding in this.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I like the look of this and I haven't had time to play a real game yet but man the game does not give you much to start off with. I'm looking to play Vanar but its positioning gimmicks are non-existent in the starter cards and my deck is like 75% generic neutrals.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
The puzzle missions are a bit misleading in that way -- Vanar can get some hilarious plays off of Hearth Sister, but I think a lot of them play more in the "i just returned all your best units to your hand, and now all your other units are wolves". They're pretty combo-heavy, I'll give you that. I think Magmar's starting deck is one of the easiest, along with Abyssian I believe.

Roland Jones posted:

For leveling up to 11 for each faction, should I just keep using the starter decks or try to make custom ones for it? I've gotten Magmar to 11 already, but I'm not sure what to go for with deckbuilding in this.
You can, but deckbuilding is part of the fun of the game! If you're ever unsure you can check out the forums, but in general after a few plays you can answer the questions : am I getting my creatures out early? Do I usually have an answer if the enemy plays a big card I'm not expecting (the answer in your case will probably be repulsor beast or ephemeral shroud)? How do I win? Do I do it by consistently maintaining control of the board, a big combo, or a war of attrition? Spectral Revenant is a really solid Abyssian card, as is Sarlac (though imo Sarlac is now too expensive to be worth it).

They also released the November rewards:

Jaxi seems like a incredibly strong 2-drop. Might experiment with an Abyssian deck with it + Shadow Reflection for some really rude plays. The others seem very specific in the decks their built for -- Grailmaster is noteworthy in that it seems to count summoning minions so Vanar, Abyssian, or Vetruvian might give her 5 keywords by the time she can act. Khymera seems built for Magmar rush decks and summons sub-2/2 cards 12/13 times, and Mechaz0r 1/13 times :lol:

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, thanks for the info. Things seem to be going well for me so far. Been playing because I'm trying to reset my sleep schedule and need something to do, have played a fair amount of ranked games and have beaten all the training room ones except the last two in the final category, which are actually fairly difficult. (Everything prior was easy for the most part, with a few tricky ones. A few I solved in what I'm pretty sure wasn't the intended manner since I didn't do what the hints said.)

I am also really bad at this game, losing more often than I win (or at least it feels like I do, not entirely sure). Might just be because I'm using the starter decks still, but I do dumb stuff pretty frequently.

Also, got two legendaries in the packs I've gotten so far. "Spectral Revenant", some Abyssian thing, and "Sarlac the Eternal", a neutral guy who seems to be impossible to kill without dispel and seems like he'd be hilariously stupid in the right deck. Nothing particularly interesting for Vetruvian or Magmar, though.

Sarlac and Spectral Revenant are both seriously excellent Abyssian cards, so nice pulls on those. Levelling up with some of the starter decks is okay, although I remember the Vetruvian one in particular feeling awful since it felt like a pile of card draw and nothing worth drawing into. Looking around for pauper decks is probably better but there's loads of people in the same boat as you so it's not a big disadvantage.

Look into all the achievements in this list because it greatly speeds up getting into the game. This should probably go in the OP for new players.

Buying Spirit Orbs is the main way of acquiring cards, but I recommend saving up gold to try Gauntlet runs. Gauntlet is a draft format where you are presented 3 cards at a time of the same rarity and pick one to go into your deck, rinse and repeat until you have a deck of 30, then you go play matches against other players with drafted decks. You play matches until you hit either 12 wins or 3 losses, with matchmaking pairing up people of similar records, and with rewards based on your record. Rewards are based on your wins, and you don't need to win much to break even. Entry into Gauntlet is 150g and I think the reward for a 0-win run is a Spirit Orb and 25g, so you lose out slightly at the worst possible record with rewards for better records including more gold, more spirit, a random common, a random rare, and even a free Gauntlet ticket. I find it to be way more fun than ladder when it's open, and it lets you play with a bunch of cards you don't have yet. My rules of thumb would only be try to have a decent mana curve, and keep the minions to spells ratio at something like 2:1.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, got Magmar, Abyssian, and Vetruvian up to level 11 each. I think I'm getting better, though I'm still not great. Also wow sometimes it feels like I just lose out of nowhere, sometimes even when my opponent is someone other than Songhai. Tangent, got a Songhai legendary, "Storm Kage".

Also, does this game have a bot problem or something? Just had a game where the other person immediately ended their first turn (I thought they or I was lagging or something because I was player two and nothing was happening, it wasn't until my timer started that I realized it was my turn to go), then they just walked forward at me and never attacked or summoned anything while I killed them. It was bizarre.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man
Yeah as you get more experience you'll start to recognize where each faction has insane threats. Like with Lyonar, for example, you never want to let a high health minion stick around near you before you end your turn. Storm Kage isn't what people would call a competitive legendary, but you can make some fun combos around him.

I've never personally encountered bots, but some people do that to get through their quests when they have a faction they don't like. It's a pretty lame way to play tbh.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Kronikle posted:

Yeah as you get more experience you'll start to recognize where each faction has insane threats. Like with Lyonar, for example, you never want to let a high health minion stick around near you before you end your turn. Storm Kage isn't what people would call a competitive legendary, but you can make some fun combos around him.

I've never personally encountered bots, but some people do that to get through their quests when they have a faction they don't like. It's a pretty lame way to play tbh.

Can you post your S-rank Songhai deck? I'm bored of my Lyonar heal deck that I use to blow through the ranks.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Can you post your S-rank Songhai deck? I'm bored of my Lyonar heal deck that I use to blow through the ranks.

Basically this deck has 3 win conditions:

1. Mechaz0r
2. Lantern Fox OTK
3. Mask of Shadows Backstab

The Mask of Shadows are a recent addition and entirely optional. They can be replaced with Rock Pulverizers and the Mist Walkings can be replaced with Bloodrage Mask or Chakri Avatar. Your most important card is going to be Sword of Mechaz0r as he with Mist Dragon Seal and Saberspine Seal can clear boards. The Tusk Boars are always welcome in any Songhai deck, but Saberspine tigers can be put in there if you don't have them. I'm considering maybe trying Mogwai instead of Aethermaster (edit: on second thought Aethermaster is almost always better). The playstyle is super fluid because of all the different win conditions you have available.

Kronikle fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 3, 2015

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

God, I feel like such a scrub but I pretty much always lose against Mechaz0r decks. A good one can pop one out on turn 4 or 5 and I can't get all my pieces into place by then. If it lost any one keyword it'd be a lot less threatening, but the combination of Airdrop, Ranged, and 'can't be targetted' is such a kick in the shins.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

RoboCicero posted:

God, I feel like such a scrub but I pretty much always lose against Mechaz0r decks. A good one can pop one out on turn 4 or 5 and I can't get all my pieces into place by then. If it lost any one keyword it'd be a lot less threatening, but the combination of Airdrop, Ranged, and 'can't be targetted' is such a kick in the shins.

Don't feel bad. Mechazor decks are extremely powerful against people without top tier decks, and even then they sometimes just pull a turn 3 Mechazor and win anyway. There's a reason that like 3/4 of people use them to grind through the ranks, and that they still are present even at S-Rank.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kronikle posted:

Yeah, Storm Kage wasn't particularly exciting to me; Songhai isn't a faction I'm interested in already, and from what I could tell his effects and such aren't great. Still, my earlier two legendary draws were awesome, and I also got an Archon Spellbinder recently which looks good too, so 3/4 of my legendaries so far being quality is nice, even if they aren't for the faction I was hoping for (Vetruvian).

Also, tried the Gauntlet earlier, using a free ticket I got from some early achievement or whatever. Drafted a Magmar deck. First two rounds were against the same guy, and I lost both times. Won my third round, lost my fourth. One win and three losses got me a spirit orb, twenty gold, and twenty spirit, which is arguably a profit; 20 spirit is two common cards, or 2/5's of a booster, so, not a bad haul. Even if you wouldn't count is as a profit normally, I used a ticket so it was free. Still, hopefully I do better next time I try.

And yeah, the one time I faced a Mechaz0r deck that got him out, I was annihilated. That was nasty.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Megasabin posted:

Don't feel bad. Mechazor decks are extremely powerful against people without top tier decks, and even then they sometimes just pull a turn 3 Mechazor and win anyway. There's a reason that like 3/4 of people use them to grind through the ranks, and that they still are present even at S-Rank.

I really, really hate how binary fighting a Mechaz0r deck is. Either you have a (fairly specific) card like Crossbones or Mana Burn that lets you dispel him as soon as he's played, in which case the opponent is set back significantly, OR you don't and you just get owned every turn. I really don't know why it exists unless it's another Hearthstone thing they're nabbing.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

LordZoric posted:

I really, really hate how binary fighting a Mechaz0r deck is. Either you have a (fairly specific) card like Crossbones or Mana Burn that lets you dispel him as soon as he's played, in which case the opponent is set back significantly, OR you don't and you just get owned every turn. I really don't know why it exists unless it's another Hearthstone thing they're nabbing.

The only thing I can think of similar to Mechazor is YuGiOh's Exodia which just instantly wins you the game. For me if I see any Mech besides Sword, it's a good bet they're going for Mechazor and it's time to start replacing for an answer if my deck has one, or trying to rush them down so they have as little time to draw the pieces as possible. I think the fastest possible Mechazor summon is turn 2 but you're more likely to see it happen later than that depending on their luck and exactly how many pieces they're running.

It's also a cheap archetype so new players can try it without much trouble. I actually like the way it's set up for the most part, since a new player may be baffled by all the choices presented but the mech cards give them something obvious and effective to experiment with and latch onto. It's also not total garbage in constructed but isn't likely to take over as a dominant strategy either.

BigLeafyTree fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 3, 2015

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I think I'm getting better at Gauntlet :toot: Either that, or I'm just pulling wins out of my rear end due to lucky card draws! It can be both.

So does anyone have any strong opinions on Gauntlet? It seems in general you want to pick Magmar if at all possible, but any other faction can work, with Vetruvian and Songhai being stronger and Vanar, Lyonar, and Abyssian being slightly weaker?

I have no scientific basis since I don't have that many Gauntlet games under my belt, but it definitely seems that for the format you want a good number of solid whites and blues, while also prioritizing a healthy amount of answer cards (Saberspine is *really good* in this format, while ephemeral shroud and repulsor beast are solid seconds. Lightbender has actually saved multiple runs, despite being much less good in constructed).

Magmar is naturally great for this format because you have Plasma Storm, Natural Selection, Mana Burn, Fortitude, etc. It's really easy to get rolling with Magmar while the other team tries to stop your slowly advancing tide of shitbricks. Slithdar Elder is pretty much an instant-win if you drop him (unless you're against Vetruvian, in which case there's a 50/50 chance they'll take control of it).

Vetruvian too, since you have a lot of easy buffs and card draw -- Star's Fury is a great finisher and a turn 1 Pyromancer is always going to cause headaches for the other team. Best case scenario you can start wiping minions with Scion's First Wish, worst case you force them to spend 2-3 mana on their first turn on a Saberspine, Mana Burn, etc. Obelysks are nice if you get some early tempo going, though the average lifespan of one on the front lines is about two turns.

I've actually had a lot of success with Songhai, though I made the awful decision to draft Eight Gates and Kage in my last run. The relatively slower pace of Gauntlet means if you manage to grab a Lantern Fox you can work towards the Songhai Lantern > Inner Focus > Killing Edge combo, find extremely rude finishers with Spiral Technique, or just be a huge pain in general with Killing Edge, Mist Seal, Inner Focus and whatever neutrals you hit the board with.

Lyonar is a bit weaker since you aren't guaranteed access to reliable Divine Bonds (you can and will lose to a double-bonded Ironcliffe though), but Tempest and Martyrdom gives you a lot of ways to back up your relatively beefy units. Holy Immolation is huge here.

Vanar :shrug: You can get some good plays by strangling the opponent with Hailstone Prison and wolfing their strong creeps, but I haven't really given them a recent try. Really struggles to finish a game off.

Abyssian is also :shrug: territory for me. No reliable access to Bloodmoon Priestesses means you're relying on Horn of the Forsaken and Wraithling Swarm for bodies to fuel stuff -- I've seen successes with Nightsorrow Assassin + Shadow Reflection for nasty 9 damage one-turn burst. Man, I haven't really played these guys in Gauntlet either.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

RoboCicero posted:

Vanar :shrug: You can get some good plays by strangling the opponent with Hailstone Prison and wolfing their strong creeps, but I haven't really given them a recent try. Really struggles to finish a game off.

I agree, Vanar is terrible at closing out games. My 3x wolfman 3x swapper gauntlet deck beat some nasty decks, like deck with 3x of those 3/10 airdrops in a row. But it took so long for me to win, I lost to someone with 2x Arclyte Regalia (why in gods name does the damage prevention stack) and to some Magmar bullshit.

The rarity disparity and abundance of overly cheap removal really screws up balance in limited. So many games are won by just dropping dumb broken cards and watching the opponent struggle to answer them.

van fem fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 15, 2015

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Gauntlet is a blast and I find it fun because there's more of a place for slower, value-oriented play because there's fewer answers floating around and decks aren't so streamlined that they kill your rear end when you stall out or misplay once. I don't play Magmar or Lyonar in Gauntlet at all because I dislike them, and Vanar is great in Gauntlet in my experience with my last run with them going 12-0 (largely on the back of 4x Hailstone Prison). They have a bunch of commons/basics that are brutal for getting ahead on the board and just fundamental decent decision making can lead to easy wins.

Vanar cards to watch for:
-Fenrir Warmaster
-Hailstone Prison
-Crystal Cloaker
-Hearth Sister
-Cryogenesis
-Aspect of the Fox

They're all solid as hell, and if you get a Glacial Elemental in combination with Snowchaser or Bonechill Barrier you can clear annoying creatures at minimal cost which can be awesome. Blazing Spines can be great as a pair of (immobile) 3/3's for 3 mana. Wolfraven and Borean Bear have potential but have been consistently disappointing for me. The stunning spells are... okay? Flash Freeze is probably the best of the bunch.

Neutral cards I love seeing while drafting:
-High Hand: Often obscene due to people regularly being at 5 or 6 cards in hand.
-Crimson Oculus: More creatures and fewer answers can let him win games by himself which is pretty great for a 3 drop.
-Silvertongue Corsair: I was sceptical but they're consistently an MVP because they can just slash away until removed.
-Hailstone Golem: Big butt and trades well, can batter a general to death unanswered.
-Brightmoss Golem: See above, but more so.
-Dancing Swords: A Hailstone Golem that hurts people when it shows up.
-Deathblighter: Expensive but can swing the board really hard. Solid.
-Emerald Rejuvenator: As good or better than it is in constructed which is saying something.
-Bluetip Scorpion: Not always something you want in your deck, but if you place it so their general can't hit it, it can trade with almost anything. Great way to cement board control if you have even a single decent minion out and your opponent has none.
-Sword of Mechazor: Similar to Bluetip Scorpion, it can help guarantee you continue to control the board when ahead, has a chance to swing it back in your favour if they can't kill it right away, and is an average body for the cost regardless.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I'm really liking this so far. I like the art style and the tactical positioning, feels very fresh after Hearthstone. I'm bummed out that everyone says Vetruvian sucks early (which I am starting to experience), since they're currently my favourite faction.

Gonna try some Gauntlet today, wish me luck.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I haven't played since a few months ago but Gauntlet still feels like pick Magmar or don't play at all. They just generate way too much value in a limited environment.

edit: The rare match you get vs non-Magmar is pretty fun, though.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 16, 2015

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Phoix posted:

I haven't played since a few months ago but Gauntlet still feels like pick Magmar or don't play at all. They just generate way too much value in a limited environment.

edit: The rare match you get vs non-Magmar is pretty fun, though.

Vanar, Lyonar, and to some extent Abyssian also do really well in Gauntlet. It's mostly just Vetruvian and Songhai that you don't want to play.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Funnily enough, I've had some solid runs with Songhai. You never want to try to draft spell Songhai, but if you grab every Inner Focus, Killing Edge, and Mist Dragon Seal that comes up you can still get a pretty strong burst with any number of lower-rarity dudes. At the same time, I do admit I got lucky and managed to get at least one Lantern Fox / Spiral Technique so I was able to really aggressively replace for those as finishers.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I'm bad at gauntlet.

Definitely agree that Magmar seems to be the best. Beefy minions are really good to have.

Songhai seems like it would be very dependent on what you get to draft. I went up against some very vicious Songhai decks that pumped out damage with backstab and were able to keep my board clear with their removal. Also the artifact that gives ranged to their general is really annoying to deal with. But I ran into a few Songhai decks that just ran out of steam after the early game as well.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I passed this up at first but finally gave it a try and have really liked it. I'm mostly playing Vetruvian, seemingly against most recommendations since the best decks require rarer cards. I've been doing pretty well with a budget dervish deck though and am rank 12 so almost gold after a few days. Unfortunately I neglected to get all my factions up to 10 while I was in Bronze so just waiting till I hit gold to do that... probably will be painful.

Games against Songhai have been the most fun for me. I had one strange game where the other guy just stayed on his side of the board and I stayed on mine with my back to the edge and whittled him down with Blast minions. I also saw the card that turns one of your minions in to a panda thing that can't be attacked for the first time recently. If I gave that minion provoke (cosmic flesh) I assume it would override that? I see no particular value in doing it so it's mostly for curiosity sake that I ask.

Unfortunately the one day I didn't get to play was yesterday so no gauntlet tries yet.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Just started this game two days ago and man is it fun!

Playing as Songhai last night, I was dead on board, but I had a Mystic Healer, Inner Focus, Mist Dragon Seal, and a 2/2 Dispel creature (I can't remember what it's called) in my hand, and the enemy was at 4 health.

So, as a hail mary play, I replaced the dispel creature, and lo-and-behold I draw into the dude who's opening gambit gives all adjacent minions +1/+0.
Play out the Healer, Hit him with the Inner Focus, Drop the other minion next to him so the mystic becomes a 3/3, Hit the Mystic Healer with the Mist Dragon Seal and pop over to the enemy General for the killing blow. :c00lbert:

e: Is there a list of neutral staples to enchant? Like in Hearthstone there's Azure Drake and Knife Juggler. What are their equivalents in Duelyst?

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 17, 2015

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Megaflare posted:

I passed this up at first but finally gave it a try and have really liked it. I'm mostly playing Vetruvian, seemingly against most recommendations since the best decks require rarer cards. I've been doing pretty well with a budget dervish deck though and am rank 12 so almost gold after a few days. Unfortunately I neglected to get all my factions up to 10 while I was in Bronze so just waiting till I hit gold to do that... probably will be painful.

Games against Songhai have been the most fun for me. I had one strange game where the other guy just stayed on his side of the board and I stayed on mine with my back to the edge and whittled him down with Blast minions. I also saw the card that turns one of your minions in to a panda thing that can't be attacked for the first time recently. If I gave that minion provoke (cosmic flesh) I assume it would override that? I see no particular value in doing it so it's mostly for curiosity sake that I ask.

Unfortunately the one day I didn't get to play was yesterday so no gauntlet tries yet.

If you can, try to hit rank 10 before you experiment with other factions so that your rank won't fall any lower. They're adding practice AI into the game soon for you to level up your factions, but I don't know when exactly that'll be implemented. You can also level up your factions in Gauntlet which makes it a much more even playing field.

If you give the 0/2 Panndo Cosmic Flesh you can basically prevent all actions from any nearby enemy minions. It's a really fun interaction because the provoked enemies will have to attack the Panndo first, but the modifier makes him unable to be attacked so they're basically stuck.

quote:

e: Is there a list of neutral staples to enchant? Like in Hearthstone there's Azure Drake and Knife Juggler. What are their equivalents in Duelyst?

Emerald Rejuvinator, Healing Mystic, Dancing Blades, and Primus Fist go well in pretty much any deck.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Jaxi also fits fine in pretty much anything. More niche stuff that are generally solid investments are: Manaforger, Alcuin Loremaster, Twilight Sorceror, Azurehorn Shaman, Mechazor pieces (Sword is the best of the bunch), Lightbender, and Silhouette Tracer.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

poo poo how could I forget Jaxi? Yeah you can fit 3 Jaxi in just about any deck. That dude's ridiculous.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Loving this game. Really hope they put out some 2v2 or archenemy though. Any mode where you can play with friends. Even if it meant not having a ladder for it, just the option to do bigger game modes would be great. If I'm forced to choose between playing a game with friends and one without, I'll generally take the one that offers team multiplayer modes.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Kronikle posted:

If you can, try to hit rank 10 before you experiment with other factions so that your rank won't fall any lower. They're adding practice AI into the game soon for you to level up your factions, but I don't know when exactly that'll be implemented. You can also level up your factions in Gauntlet which makes it a much more even playing field.

If you give the 0/2 Panndo Cosmic Flesh you can basically prevent all actions from any nearby enemy minions. It's a really fun interaction because the provoked enemies will have to attack the Panndo first, but the modifier makes him unable to be attacked so they're basically stuck.

Yeah hitting gold (10) was the plan since I saw you couldn't drop down tiers or whatever you want to call them. 2 wins to go, hitting some pretty high spirit decks now though I've still managed a fair amount of wins. Arclyte Regalia is pain :( I don't have Rasha's Curse yet.

And that's hilarious that that Panndo synergy works though it's a bit unlikely to happen that way. Right now though I do not mind at all getting hit with that card. It just means I have an annoying little mobile summoning platform to put scarabs and pyros all over the place. In a Songhai game today it basically negated the threat of the 3 Jaxis he was running because I had the near corners covered and could use it to make sure I could reach one far corner + cover the other corner.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Rank 10 is a great spot to aim for since that's the big breakpoint in terms of season rewards.

quote:

Highest Achieved Rank 20
Loot Crate Reward: 1 x Monthly Epic + Spirit + Gold

Highest Achieved Rank 10
Loot Crate Reward: 1 x Monthly Legendary + 1 x Monthly Epic + Spirit + Gold

Highest Achieved Rank 5
Loot Crate Reward: 1 x Monthly Rare + 1 x Monthly Legendary + 1 x Monthly Epic + Spirit + Gold

Highest Achieved Rank: S-Rank
Loot Crate Reward: 1 x Monthly Common + 1 x RANDOM Legendary + 1 x Monthly Rare + 1 x Monthly Legendary + 1 x Monthly Epic + Spirit + Gold

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

I've been playing Abyssian wraithling and I think I'm in love. I always loved token decks in MTG so covering the board in infinite minions is definitely my jam.

I only have one Bloodmoon Priestess but lord is it an MVP of a card. I'm sure at higher levels people pack mass removal but I'm rank 18 right now and this deck rolls over people the majority of the time.

I also enjoy having 5 minions on turn 2. Lyonar seems to be my weakness though, lost this game and another couple against them right after this.

Blisster fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 18, 2015

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I'm garbo and I don't play enough to hit gold, but it's alright.

Blisster posted:

I've been playing Abyssian wraithling and I think I'm in love. I always loved token decks in MTG so covering the board in infinite minions is definitely my jam.

I only have one Bloodmoon Priestess but lord is it an MVP of a card. I'm sure at higher levels people pack mass removal but I'm rank 18 right now and this deck rolls over people the majority of the time.
Bloodmoon is great because you occasionally get the game where you have a setup like
pre:
.XXX
GXBX
.XXX
Where G is the enemy general and they walk up with a Saberspine or something, hit the wraith right in front of it...only to see the Priestess instantly summon another minion in the same spot. Then you almost always see the "i done hosed up" thinking pause. Abyssal Wraithling is pretty weak against removal, but if you can get a Shadowdancer out in time they're immune to both Tempest and Plasma Storm. I've also found Deepfire Devourers a really great value since with even one dude eaten you have a 6/6 with frenzy.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

RoboCicero posted:

I'm garbo and I don't play enough to hit gold, but it's alright.

Bloodmoon is great because you occasionally get the game where you have a setup like
pre:
.XXX
GXBX
.XXX
Where G is the enemy general and they walk up with a Saberspine or something, hit the wraith right in front of it...only to see the Priestess instantly summon another minion in the same spot. Then you almost always see the "i done hosed up" thinking pause. Abyssal Wraithling is pretty weak against removal, but if you can get a Shadowdancer out in time they're immune to both Tempest and Plasma Storm. I've also found Deepfire Devourers a really great value since with even one dude eaten you have a 6/6 with frenzy.

yeah the wall of wraithlings is always fun. I've seen it trip people up like that quite a few times.

I unfortunately have none of the cards you mentioned. F2P is a drag sometimes.

Edit: is there any way to check what level you are with each faction? You'd think it'd be in the profile but no. Also I got a bunch of gold for getting an achievement of some sort, is there anywhere to see those?

Blisster fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 18, 2015

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Blisster posted:

yeah the wall of wraithlings is always fun. I've seen it trip people up like that quite a few times.

I unfortunately have none of the cards you mentioned. F2P is a drag sometimes.

Edit: is there any way to check what level you are with each faction? You'd think it'd be in the profile but no. Also I got a bunch of gold for getting an achievement of some sort, is there anywhere to see those?

There's a list of achievements here: http://forums.duelyst.com/t/lets-discover-together/12491 . Doing them is a nice boost to your collection so I recommend doing them asap. The puzzles/tutorials also give some gold too and they're mostly easy enough that you can bang out the whole thing in a couple hours.

I don't think there's a way to see your current faction levels which is unfortunate. The UI currently doesn't show some basic things or has them in odd places, which I'm assuming will be fixed sometime in the near future.

Bloodmoon Priestesses are hilarious once they've got a halo of Wraithlings up, the trick is having enough stuff on the board when you summon BP, and trying to keep it from getting removed or dispelled.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Yah dude i just started playing abyssian too, and this strat is super fun. If you're aggressive with your wraithlings and imps, you can really put your opponent on bad footing, and force them to put their minions in bad positions.
Lyonar is tough, but I found Veshruvian to be extra difficult because those 2/1 blast guys will take out a whole row of wraithlings.

Do you have a squad list?

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Dungeon Ecology posted:

In the opposite vein of this question is there a list of stuff that should just be disenchanted as soon as I get it? The Millhouse Manastorm or Far Sight of Duelyst.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

Looks like I've got most of the achievements already then, oh well. I'm hung up on a couple of the final training missions but I'll get to those eventually.

As for my squad this is what I was running the other day:

I bought some packs and then tried making a deck with more Abyssian and less neutral cards, but it hasn't been as successful. I think the golems have been winning me as many games as the wraithlings have.

I'm considering dropping Shadow Watcher. It seems to work maybe one out of four times and the rest it just gets immediately dispelled or destroyed.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Anyone have a recommendation for my Magmar deck? I've only been playing like 4 days and I'm stuck at rank 6, I keep winning one, losing one, winning one, losing one.

Vaath the Immortal x1
Greater Fortitude x3
Young Silithar x3
Healing Mystic x2
Mana Burn x3
Jaxi x3
Primus Fist x2
Diretide Frenzy x2
Primordial Gazer x1
Saberspine Tiger x3
Veteran Silithar x3
Emerald Rejuvenator x3
Egg Morph x2
Adamantite Claws x2
Elucidator x2
Dancing Blades x2
Makantor Warbeast x3

http://duelystdb.com/squad/communit...DE1NywyOjMwMDEy

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just like hearthstone grinding for basic cards is the worst loving thing stop doing this.

• Locked thread