Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

GreyPowerVan posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for my Magmar deck? I've only been playing like 4 days and I'm stuck at rank 6, I keep winning one, losing one, winning one, losing one.

Vaath the Immortal x1
Greater Fortitude x3
Young Silithar x3
Healing Mystic x2
Mana Burn x3
Jaxi x3
Primus Fist x2
Diretide Frenzy x2
Primordial Gazer x1
Saberspine Tiger x3
Veteran Silithar x3
Emerald Rejuvenator x3
Egg Morph x2
Adamantite Claws x2
Elucidator x2
Dancing Blades x2
Makantor Warbeast x3

http://duelystdb.com/squad/communit...DE1NywyOjMwMDEy

Drop the dancing blades, add flash reincarnation if you can afford them, dampening wave if you can't

You're basically playing an aggro magmar deck and dancing blades doesn't really make a lot of sense since killing weak enemy minions with a 5 cost minion with only 3 attack doesn't really help that goal, dampening wave is a lot better for board control because it costs 0 mana and lets you make better trades and still develop good minions with your mana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

koolkal posted:

Drop the dancing blades, add flash reincarnation if you can afford them, dampening wave if you can't

You're basically playing an aggro magmar deck and dancing blades doesn't really make a lot of sense since killing weak enemy minions with a 5 cost minion with only 3 attack doesn't really help that goal, dampening wave is a lot better for board control because it costs 0 mana and lets you make better trades and still develop good minions with your mana

Dancing blades are actually 4/6's but I might see how it does without them.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man
The one copy of Primordial Gazer seems weird too. Is there a reason why he's in there?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kronikle posted:

The one copy of Primordial Gazer seems weird too. Is there a reason why he's in there?

I just stuck him in there as a forth 'greater fortitude'. That's the slot I would swap over to a crossbones if I saw a lot of mechaz0r decks.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man

GreyPowerVan posted:

I just stuck him in there as a forth 'greater fortitude'. That's the slot I would swap over to a crossbones if I saw a lot of mechaz0r decks.

I know the card is not commonly played, but if you're going for lots of minion buffs through Greater Fortitude, Primordial Gazer, and Diretide Frenzy, consider putting in Phalanxars. They make for a really oppressive turn 1 opening if you're starting on the right side and buff them with Greater Fortitude immediately.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
This is a cool game. It seems to be getting a decent amount of publicity from people like Kibler too, so hopefully it does well.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Argggh. Really hitting the heavier players right now. Lots of 100-200 wins flags or whatever and decks filled with high rarity cards. I'm still managing wins but I've been seesawing on 11 all night. The rarest card I have in my Vet deck is a single Star Fury so it is an uphill struggle. I was thinking about putting together a cheesy Lyonar to just finish the rank since I seem to keep getting their rarer drops. It's especially bad because despite cycling my quests they've been stuck on "Play 4 games with x faction" but I really want to get to Gold first.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
One of the best "budget" deck that you can probably craft sans legendaries right now is probably Lyonar. 3x Holy Immolation and a smattering of rares and suddenly you have a deck that has enough blowout potential to score victories against cashdecks. I got carried from rank 19ish all the way to rank 4 in a single evening, with maybe two losses the entire night: one down low to a random ridiculously fast Mechazor and the other at rank 5.

I'm currently pingponging between 4 and 5, and now the cash gap between me and my opponents is getting very noticeable, but I spent maybe 1500 dust tops, and 900 of that alone was just the Immolations, which are the only epic in the deck. I hear Magmar can make something competitive in a similar vein just riding on their pants-on-head retarded 6-drop 4/4 rush+frenzy (it's like an Immolation but on legs instead of being a heal on a dude), and while most people associate Vetruvian with purple and gold, apparently you can make a decent deck without the usual $taples and play some kind of Arcaynst deck that encourages spellspam, and spam Vetruvian's frightfully heavy buff spells. You'll get blown out by any dispel effects, but that's a feature of all Vetruvian decks, even the expensive ones, really.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Yeah I've been getting to needing one more win then getting stomped by Immolation or a cheesy Magmar. I guess I'll see if I can make a functioning version of the things you mentioned without spending a bunch of spirit, thanks. I'd really like to make a third wish but yeah, expensive.

Ed: Put together a piecemeal Lyonar deck since I had two immolations anyway. Just moved across the board and summoned minions, 3 straight wins and I'm in gold.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 19, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Megaflare posted:

Yeah I've been getting to needing one more win then getting stomped by Immolation or a cheesy Magmar. I guess I'll see if I can make a functioning version of the things you mentioned without spending a bunch of spirit, thanks. I'd really like to make a third wish but yeah, expensive.

Ed: Put together a piecemeal Lyonar deck since I had two immolations anyway. Just moved across the board and summoned minions, 3 straight wins and I'm in gold.

You can get to diamond with a vanar aggro deck pretty easy. It got me from 5 to 3 pretty easy. I don't think it has even a single rare or epic in it. I'll post my list when I'm on a computer.

Onato
Dec 29, 2014

GreyPowerVan posted:

You can get to diamond with a vanar aggro deck pretty easy. It got me from 5 to 3 pretty easy. I don't think it has even a single rare or epic in it. I'll post my list when I'm on a computer.

I'd love to see this, I can't get past silver with Vanar.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Just started playing, mostly with Magmar. Any suggestions for drafting gauntlet?

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Just started playing today. Coming from Hearthstone, I like the familiarity of the menus/decks. Made it easy to jump into.

What are the go to cards to craft for a cheap Magmar deck?

Are there emotes in this game? My BM play so far has been really weak.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Not That Into You posted:

Are there emotes in this game?

Just click on your character image at the top of the screen. You've got a few simple txt responses, and a few emojis as well.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

LLSix posted:

Just started playing, mostly with Magmar. Any suggestions for drafting gauntlet?
There's some good advice a few posts up for good cards. Basic Gauntlet strategy that I've found successful: The bulk of your deck should cost 3 mana or below (the mana curve tool really helps with this) -- you can get away with it if you know what you're doing but it's a excellent rule of thumb to keep you playing cards every turn, and to avoid the lovely "walk two steps forward, end turn" when you go first and you have no cards 2 or below in-hand.

Magmar is far and away the best faction for Gauntlet -- people talk about 'answer' cards, which means cards that instantly remove a problem from the board and Magmar has a ton of low-rarity cards that either provide answers or require them.

I personally think Songhai and Lyonar are the second two solid factions just because they provide some basic buffs and combos. Lyonar has the slight weakness of being somewhat naff if you can't find a Divine Bond in your deck, but Holy Immolation and generally beefy units helps you overcome that somewhat. Songhai can be strong even if you don't draw Lantern Fox just off of its really powerful spells. I think Vitruvian is also strong, but they're finicky to play for a new player since obelysk placement / blast positioning is a bit tricky.

This isn't to say never play Abyssian or Vanar (Gauntlet is a great way to experiment with other factions), but imo they're a lot weaker. I would play Vanar of Abyssian, but Vanar is also classic control and a bit difficult to play as a beginner as well.

It ultimately comes down to playstyle, but here's a few Hot Tips for faction-specific 'how did i/my units die' plays. It's not expected that you play around all of these all the time, but there's a few that are good to know.

Magmar : Never clump up your units since a Diretide Frenzy off a Saberspine can result in a 4 for 1 swing in Magmar's favor. Also watch out for Plasma Storm, which kills all minions with less than 3 attack. If you can bait one out early game that's good, since the big mana cost means they probably skipped a turn. At 8 mana Magmar can play two Adamantite Claws for a total of 10 attack off their general.

Vetruvian: Star's Fury summons a 2/2 dervish in front of every unit you own, so if you have a lot of weenies you can get them all wiped or your general killed from across the screen, especially in combination with other buffs. Line your units up in a column (only if they don't have blast minions on the board!) if you feel vulnerable. Bone shards is also an annoying skill that deals 2 damage to all units around your general.

Songhai: Songhai has a 7 mana spell that does 8 damage, so don't be surprised if you just die out of nowhere. Songhai is the king of OTK combos, so you should be hale and hearty when they hit 7+ mana since Lantern Fox > Inner Focus > Killing Edge is a 7 mana spell that deals 14 damage (!) Backstab is also a pretty nasty faction mechanic, so try to summon a small minion behind any target you don't want exposed. Songhai have Mist Dragon Seal, which can teleport any unit anywhere on the map, so keep that in mind.

Abyssian: Can curse a unit so when it dies it deals 3 damage to you and any of your minions, so don't clump them up. Can give any unit +5 attack for 3 mana and has a 4/1 unit with rush for 3 mana too, which means a 9 damage spike from out of hand if you're unlucky. Also has Dark Seed, which deals damage based on how many cards in your hand you have.

Lyonar: Lots of dispel and removal. Divine bond (3 mana) gives a unit attack equal to their health and can be doubled up really early so don't let high-health minions stay that way. Can heal one minion for 4 and deal 4 to all your units around it at 4 mana, and has Tempest, which deals 3 damage to everything on the board.

Vanar: Hailstone Prison returns any card back to your hand and destroys the card completely if your hand is full. Walls can be transformed into 3/3, all the way up to 5/5 through Seismic Elemental, and can move and attack right away if they've been on the board more than one turn. There's also Avalanche, which stuns and deals 4 damage to all units on Vanar's starting side of the field which can be unpleasant if you're trying to play around Infiltrate.

e:
"gauntlet is an interesting environment because you're playing around rarity answers bluh bluh"
"enemy plays slithdar elder into fractal replication"

i'm extremely salty

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 19, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Here's the Vanar list that someone was asking about. I was playing this without being level 11 on vanar so it might be better with bears. I won like 8-9 out of my 13 games at rank 5-4 with this deck.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

are they going to improve this game's performance? my computer is pretty poo poo but I can run hearthstone, so I don't get why my computer'd be choking trying to play this.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Endorph posted:

are they going to improve this game's performance? my computer is pretty poo poo but I can run hearthstone, so I don't get why my computer'd be choking trying to play this.

it runs fine on anything that I've tried it on

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

They've been pretty aggressively trying to fix performance if the patch notes are anything to go by. Are you using the desktop version or the internet version? Try the opposite of whatever you're using now, and turn off post-processing in the settings to see if it helps (do this anyway since the bloom effects obscure the really well-done pixel art)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

didn't realize there was a desktop version. treid that and it runs fine, thanks. chrome sux.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Tried out Lyonar and Abyssian so far, both are really great. Surrounding your opponent in layers of 1/1 wraiths is hilarious and I've summoned as many as 5 units on the first turn

Onato
Dec 29, 2014

GreyPowerVan posted:

Here's the Vanar list that someone was asking about. I was playing this without being level 11 on vanar so it might be better with bears. I won like 8-9 out of my 13 games at rank 5-4 with this deck.

Any important synergies I should know about? How do you play it specifically?

Thanks

EDIT

Won 5 games on the trot with this.

Onato fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 20, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Onato posted:

Any important synergies I should know about? How do you play it specifically?

Thanks

EDIT

Won 5 games on the trot with this.

Seems like you figured it out. You run at them and hit them until they die.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
New player here, but Hearthstone veteran. Played three Gauntlets yesterday, went 1 win as Magmar twice and 3 as Abyssian, though one was from a DC.

Not a big fan of how splashy some of the cards are compared to Hearthstone's relatively tight card balance. Getting one-shot because someone pulled two Divine Bond, or getting some of my expensive minions cleared effortlessly because someone pulled the card that does 7 damage to only enemy minions when an easy trigger happens sure doesn't make me feel like I can win through skill. Every win felt like it was because they didn't happen to have some of the multitude of extremely powerful removal that I wasn't offered, and when I lost it was precisely because I would get 4-for-1 from one card that would have been nice to have myself.

Flooding the board sets me up to AoE of course, but only putting a few dudes out also just means some card combos steal or wipe 2-4 of those few minions anyway and I'm now losing. I know I will learn which factions can gently caress me over in which ways, but this game seems way more about memorizing every single card and playing specifically around every single possible combo than just going by general guidelines until I learn the game.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I don't think divine bond is any different than something like inner fire in hearthstone. I suppose the double draw/replace mechanics makes combos more reliable than in Hearthstone, although the 6 card max limits it pretty fairly IMO.

I still think Silithar Elder is just beyond stupid and I have no idea how that card hasn't been changed (I started playing this game around a month ago).

I really wished this game limited legendaries in general to either 2 (or 1) copies in decks, minimizing their importance and creating more deck space.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Locke Dunnegan posted:

New player here, but Hearthstone veteran. Played three Gauntlets yesterday, went 1 win as Magmar twice and 3 as Abyssian, though one was from a DC.

Not a big fan of how splashy some of the cards are compared to Hearthstone's relatively tight card balance. Getting one-shot because someone pulled two Divine Bond, or getting some of my expensive minions cleared effortlessly because someone pulled the card that does 7 damage to only enemy minions when an easy trigger happens sure doesn't make me feel like I can win through skill. Every win felt like it was because they didn't happen to have some of the multitude of extremely powerful removal that I wasn't offered, and when I lost it was precisely because I would get 4-for-1 from one card that would have been nice to have myself.

Flooding the board sets me up to AoE of course, but only putting a few dudes out also just means some card combos steal or wipe 2-4 of those few minions anyway and I'm now losing. I know I will learn which factions can gently caress me over in which ways, but this game seems way more about memorizing every single card and playing specifically around every single possible combo than just going by general guidelines until I learn the game.

I've felt similar lately. I think a lot of it could be improved by tweaking mana costs of certain things since a lot of the time you'll get hit by certain removal and then they continue to put out 2 minions or whatever. But I also haven't been playing that long so idk. Current state of the game seems to encourage closing games out really quickly so maybe the issue is simply that most of my games go to 9 cores.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

So It Goes posted:

I don't think divine bond is any different than something like inner fire in hearthstone. I suppose the double draw/replace mechanics makes combos more reliable than in Hearthstone, although the 6 card max limits it pretty fairly IMO.

I still think Silithar Elder is just beyond stupid and I have no idea how that card hasn't been changed (I started playing this game around a month ago).

I really wished this game limited legendaries in general to either 2 (or 1) copies in decks, minimizing their importance and creating more deck space.

Elder can definitely be a poo poo. but for my money, I think the most unbalanced card is Portal Guardian. Vetruvian 0/9. Gets +1 attack whenever owner summons a creature. Has Frenzy. Only costs 3. That means that, assuming the player goes second, they can have a 4/9 with Frenzy on turn two. It would still be a great card without the Frenzy. Nerf now.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Even without Frenzy that seems like it would be a silly card. It seems like their gap between starting neutral cards and earned faction ones makes my bitching about Dr. Boom and Shielded Minibot in Hearthstone look silly in comparison.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Locke Dunnegan posted:

AoE is very cheaply costed right now in my opinion, especially on 'double-edged' cards like Tempest and Plasma Storm. It sucks to get blown out by cards but with at least most of them there's ways to prevent or limit the damage they can do. The most important defensive formation is definitely:

oxx
xGx
xxo

where o is one of your minions, G is your general, and x is blank spaces. Your General can't be moved or easily killed so by holding the middle spot it prevents you from losing two minions since most AoE's affect a 2x2 square, a row, or all the spaces around an enemy minion. The only thing that really fucks you in that formation is Star's Fury (or Bone Swarm I guess). I'll do a write up later of AoE or positioning poo poo to watch out from each faction.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah the game is actually really well balanced on the ladder at least. Vetruvian is broken good but the devs will nerf them I'm sure. They seem to be on top of balance changes.

After you learn which things to play around, aoe becomes a lot easier. You never want just 1 big minion out against magmar, nor do you want a ton of sub 3 attack. Against Vetruvian you need to keep your units in a square or a line so they don't get owned by stars fury. For abyssian try to use the square posted above because they can make one of your minions explode for 3 whenever it dies.

Lyonar have Holy immolation, a 4 damage aoe.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

They all motherfuckers is what they is.

Budget Lyonar blows rear end and leveling the factions is annoying, but I've opened a few legendaries already which is miles ahead of Hearthstone. My first draft was like five legendaries, which seemed like a waste when I drafted dumb poo poo like the 1/7 ranged magnet. C'est la vie.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The numbers for legendaries are 1/4 rather than the 1/20~ from HS.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Locke Dunnegan posted:

They all motherfuckers is what they is.

Budget Lyonar blows rear end and leveling the factions is annoying, but I've opened a few legendaries already which is miles ahead of Hearthstone. My first draft was like five legendaries, which seemed like a waste when I drafted dumb poo poo like the 1/7 ranged magnet. C'est la vie.

Budget Lyonar is far from blowing rear end. This deck list is a bit dated but can take you at least to rank 10.

I got that list from a dude who S-ranked with a ~3.5k dust Lyonar deck which is still pretty drat cheap.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I'm still pretty new, but it seems like card draw is total poo poo in anything besides super aggro style decks. Drawing two cards per turn and having a hand size of 6 really makes it seem useless. I played some games with the class that has the 2-mana "draw 2" card, and I never even had an opportunity to use it. Am I just using it wrong?

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

bvoid posted:

I'm still pretty new, but it seems like card draw is total poo poo in anything besides super aggro style decks. Drawing two cards per turn and having a hand size of 6 really makes it seem useless. I played some games with the class that has the 2-mana "draw 2" card, and I never even had an opportunity to use it. Am I just using it wrong?

Nah, you're right. Unless your curve is quite low you probably don't need any card draw. That was one of the big shockers to me coming from knowing Hearthstone and Magic, where card draw is so valuable.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

streaming some mechanar

http://www.twitch.tv/greypowervan''

EDIT: nevermind, super tired today.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 21, 2015

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Buckled down and ground my way to Gold off of the standard Songhai OTK deck. It is fairly budget, but is still ~ 1000 spirit spent on cards, so probably only a project if you like Songhai and want to go beyond Inner Focus + Scarlet Viper. Does anyone have any immediate suggestions? I'm guessing replacing saberspines with Tusk Boars is my first priority, but what about beyond that? I feel like I can replace my Chakri Avatars, but I'm not sure what in favor of. Ancestral Divination is also a card that I end up replacing more often than not, but I can't deny that it helps a lot when I'm cycling for Inner Focus.

I would say that I am a huge fan of Songhai, even if there are rumors of a Lantern Fox nerf coming down the line. You basically play combos from your hand and try to whittle the general down and keep the board clear until you hit 6 mana or so, at which point you can start comboing with Lantern Fox for 10+ damage out of hand. Being aggressive can also pay off dividends, since I've won games just because I kill any dude they drop. Stalling is really the game, and forcing the other general to kill Shieldmasters of Dagger Kiris (or burn dispels on Jaxes, Gorehorns, or Chakris) can all get you to the point where you drop someone.

The reliance on Inner Focus is probably the weakest part, since the deck really suffers if you get unlucky and can't find one. It also means that you can't blow your load too early -- I had someone use up all their Inner Focuses in the first two turns on top of Tusk Boars and Saberspines, placing me at something like 7 health, then sit there unable to respond to any other cards I played.

Anyway, off to do what I assume everyone does at Gold, which is lose 4 games in a row completing my Vanar Challenger quest :toot:

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Tuskboars don't really replace Saberspine Seal, like at all. It's important to have both Saberspine and Killing Edge to add redundancy to your combo pieces. That way you just need to find Lantern Fox, Inner Focus, and one or two of Killing Edge or Saberspine Seal for your big turn. The things that stick out to me is I'm not sure you need to run 3 copies of both Dagger Kiri AND Lantern Fox, and that your deck's going in several directions at once (Chakri, Deathstrike Seal, Shieldmasters) and I'm not sure whether that adds enough robustness to be worth reducing the decks focus. Heartseeker as a carrier for Deathstrike and Killing Edge might be worth trying. Sword of Mechazor together with MDS or Inner Focus can clear the board in the early turns to help buy time for combo, or just get buffed to hell later for a giant Frenzy swing.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Khymera with Flash Reincarnation is extremely fun. Each Flash does a separate ping of damage too. So Mana 4 Khymera and two drakes has happened. Truly lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I'm not really sure where you want to take your deck, songhai has approximately 50 different lists because there's a few cards which are really broken and then a bunch of pretty good cards which work because of the broken cards. And most of them are high rarity and cost a lot of dust.

Tusk boar is one of those really broken ones and 3x is core in basically every songhai deck ever, even spell-heavy burn lists will run 3x magi and then 3x tusk boar as their only minions. Expensive but it's so far beyond saberspine in power level it's silly.

You should try to get 3x gore horn, 3x killing edge, and use mana vortex over ancestral diviniation for cycle. These are all pretty solid cards that fit in a lot of different lists. Kaido is really bad IMO and not worth running in any songhai list. Chakri is fine as mediocre 2-drop that has a lot of upside. I don't use them now that Jaxi exists but I know a lot of songhai players still do. Phoenix fire is pretty useful for damage and board control.

More juxtapositions is good but obviously expensive and not necessary. Bloodrage mask is okay if you want to go spell heavy. Sword of mech is pretty solid as a board clear option and general decent minion since it has 3 hp.

If you have any twilight sorcerers or alcuin loremasters throw them in. They're extremely strong since they let you get even more inner focus and twilight is a pretty good body. They're eoucs so pricey but they're better than primus or dagger kiri since they have decent bodies and they give you more spells which are better at contesting the board and they often go in other factions as well. Gorehorn + inner focus is a 3 mana combo that kills a silverguard knight and leaves you with a 4/4 and you can follow that up next turn with a twilight sorcerer or alcuin to get the inner focus back and be really far ahead on board which is way better IMO than trying to delay with beefy weak minions like shieldmaster or kiri while hoping you draw the lantern combo pieces.

• Locked thread