Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I just hope there's something to put Cass on the radar again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I just hope there's something to put Cass on the radar again.

I don't think anything Shadowcreep related has been spoiled yet. There is a 9 mana spell that kills their general after 3 turns?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Some weird cards that may rekindle my interest. But if the pricing model will be the same as the previous ones(where you can't break/craft cards) then I'm not going to bother

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

Some weird cards that may rekindle my interest. But if the pricing model will be the same as the previous ones(where you can't break/craft cards) then I'm not going to bother

I think it's supposed to be a full expansion, like Shim'zar. Otherwise I feel the same way. It's much more engaging to have cards to work towards instead of just... getting the whole set.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I don't care about "engaging" I just don't like it when f2p games decide to change to a model that coincidentally makes all your leftover f2p currency worthless. (Well, one form of it, anyways.)

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tin Tim posted:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't care about "engaging" I just don't like it when f2p games decide to change to a model that coincidentally makes all your leftover f2p currency worthless. (Well, one form of it, anyways.)

Why do people want a more expensive model over a cheaper one, aka pay once get all the cards? Who cares if your f2p currency is worthless when $20 or whatever gets you all the cards vs $300+ for a normal expansion.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

probably because they have enough poo poo saved up to get what they want without spending anything

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man

Tin Tim posted:

Confirmed, this expansion will be like Shim'zar where all the cards can be crafted.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Khorne posted:

Why do people want a more expensive model over a cheaper one, aka pay once get all the cards? Who cares if your f2p currency is worthless when $20 or whatever gets you all the cards vs $300+ for a normal expansion.

Because I like to play the game, earn gold and buy card packs because it's fun. Getting the last two expansions outright completely killed my interest in the game for *months*.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The model didn't feel very consumer friendly.

As someone who only ever played two factions, and probably wouldn't even want all their cards, it just felt like $15 of my $20 were wasted. Likewise if I bought them with gold. If I did try to buy them with gold, there was no guarantee I wouldn't get the cards I wanted last - I could very easily have spent the first couple of weeks gambling and not gotten a single card I could play with. All those completely wasted resources annoyed me.

Not to mention that the reduction of options was coming from a game that had initially appealed to me in part because it felt very generous, it seemed like a bit of a turnaround to suddenly make it more difficult/expensive to assemble a fully functional deck.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Khorne posted:

Because I don't need all the cards, just the handful that are a) actually good and b) for the factions I actually play.

Also because I have so much dust saved up I probably could get all the cards if I really wanted, at least for one expansion's worth. :v:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Full spoiler out

Some interesting cards for sure, especially at the higher mana ranges but so far the most :eyepop: of them to me is Mind Lathe: [3] mana -- After your general damages a minion, reactivate it and take control of it until the end of your turn.

Also not sure how I feel about the three new faction ground effects, only that Hallowed Ground seems far weaker than the other two, but maybe because Vale Ascension is a strong card. Primal Flourish looks like it can get out of hand the fastest due to how it seems to interact with Moloki Huntress. Really really surprised Abyssian didn't get even one card that generates shadow creep considering how many new answers are coming out.

Does flawless reflection change allegiances too? Or does it just change the creature type?

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

RoboCicero posted:

Does flawless reflection change allegiances too? Or does it just change the creature type?

Just the creature changes. The owner of the card stays the same.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

RoboCicero posted:

Full spoiler out

Some interesting cards for sure, especially at the higher mana ranges but so far the most :eyepop: of them to me is Mind Lathe: [3] mana -- After your general damages a minion, reactivate it and take control of it until the end of your turn.

Also not sure how I feel about the three new faction ground effects, only that Hallowed Ground seems far weaker than the other two, but maybe because Vale Ascension is a strong card. Primal Flourish looks like it can get out of hand the fastest due to how it seems to interact with Moloki Huntress. Really really surprised Abyssian didn't get even one card that generates shadow creep considering how many new answers are coming out.

Auroaras seem comically strong too. Aggro Lyonar is gonna be a serious threat with that around, building up a bomb while also dropping tons of little guys. Very curious about Razorcrag golems too - they seem like a really strong addition to decks that control the board hard, since if you can't get rid of them ASAP, they can force lethal pretty much with one hit.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm trying to think of how Watchful Sentinel could work that isn't bad design and I can't think of any.

If the hidden condition is fixed then it should be on the card, obfuscation is completely pointless there.

If it's random then ugghhhhhhhhhhhhh

e: at least it's just the one card, at first glance I thought that was how the keyword itself worked

e2: maybe if the casting player chooses the condition, and the enemy has to guess? you'd think it'd say something if it worked like that though

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 12, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Magmar's new stuff looks pretty cool, and Saberspine Cub looks like it's going to go in every aggro deck ever from here to eternity

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Well, now I'm a little soured on this thing because of 'Diamonds'

Really? They really needed to add a 'fake' RMT currency like that? Also looked at the older mini expansions and, I dunno if its true or not because I already bought them wholesale, but I don't see that option anymore.

I thought millennials weren't buying diamonds anymore.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm trying to think of how Watchful Sentinel could work that isn't bad design and I can't think of any.

Apparently it can spawn any number of different cards, because two got used against me earlier and produced different creatures. So maybe it's got one of a set of random triggers? If so it can be played around, even if it's annoying, but nothing hints at it.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

The way Sentinel works:

You play a Sentinel card from your hand. For example, you play Hundred-hand Rakushi:

What gets played to the board is not the 3/4, but rather a generic 3/3 Sentinel:

The opponent does not know which Sentinel you played, and only you know what the activating trigger is (seen by hovering over your Sentinel). The Sentinel does not turn into a Hundred-hand Rakushi until the Sentinel trigger is activated. For this card, that trigger is "Minion summoned" so the first time your opponent summons a minion, this will transform before that minion is played. So let's say you put this card down and ended your turn. It's now the enemy's turn and they move up and attack your generic 3/3 Sentinel with their general and then play a Brightmoss Golem. The golem activates the Sentinel trigger which makes your generic 3/3 Sentinel (now a 3/1 since it was damaged) turn into a fresh 3/4 Hundred-hand Rakushi while also dealing 2 damage to their Brightmoss Golem.

Hopefully this helps with any confusion. A list of all the Sentinel cards: http://imgur.com/a/rvvuz

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, so Watchful Sentinel is just a token, not a collectible? Cool, that makes way more sense.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Sentinel triggering when a minion dies is super weird. Lavaslasher battles my Rakushi sentinel, the sentinel dies and a full health Rakushi pops out to deal 2 more damage.

edit: or I guess this could just be them triggering at the same time but the game shows it happening in a strange order. Haven't seen other Sentinel effects pop yet.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 12, 2017

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So. I feel like the transformation on Sentinels is a bit broken.

I had a 3/1 watchful sentinel out (condition to transform into a 3/3 that reduces a generals attack when it attacks). My opponent played a Falcius, attacked the sentinel (triggering both of my -1 attack guys), and despite have 2 attack still after the debuffs... He did no damage to the sentinel.

It was as if the target for the attack was replaced therefore his attack completely fizzled. It was weird. That interaction won me the game.

Also Phantasm for Abyssian is my new autoinclude 2 drop. Those attack bonuses are scary.

Edit: Double checked. He hit the 3/1 Watchful Sentinel for 3 damage, then it transformed into the Skullprophet and stayed at 3/3.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 12, 2017

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Seems like weird triggering? Sounds like General attacks > transform trigger placed on the stack > damage resolves > 'pre-death phase to pop any dying wishes / etc.' > transform trigger resolves > replaces unit. Considering sentinel effects should trigger before the activator resolves the unit should stay damaged.

Extreme Growth Magmar seems really the deck to beat right now. The Primal Flourish / Moloki interactions works more or less exactly as you'd expect.

By the way, before This Happens To You, Rizen functions like every other 'on summon' effect and will pop out eggs for token generating skills. For fun, Rizen into Rizen makes a infinite loop and fills every available square with Rizen eggs.

(played myself into a corner when I flashed out a juggernaut so I felt like this as a better way to throw the game)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

How do I get it back in windowed mode? I don't see it in the options and the new client doesn't respond to alt-enter. Adding -w to the launcher shortcut doesn't seem to help either.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Not gonna lie it's pretty lovely to force me into a bandai account that is of no use to me to access the game I already payed money for in the past

The password options are also weirdly restricted and it does not accept my input despite it following the rules

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Bloodsworn Gambler is a top-tier Gauntlet pick. I've pulled out 18 damage in a single round with him triple-attacking with 6 attack. I want to try out a ranged Songhai deck with the new re-activate your ranged units spell.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Does the "reactivate your ranged units" spell apply to your general if your general has ranged?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Does the "reactivate your ranged units" spell apply to your general if your general has ranged?

I will have to find out.

Edit: It says Ranged Minions on the card, but I checked and nope it doesn't secretly affect your general too. Though that'd be amazing.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 14, 2017

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Tin Tim posted:

The password options are also weirdly restricted and it does not accept my input despite it following the rules

There's a hidden rule: max 16 characters.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thx for letting me know

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Spriggin is an absolute garbage card.

At worst, you get a 6/6 with Provoke, and three 0/3s (with +3 attack while the spriggin is alive). And at best they get three 2/3 Frenzies. It would have lost me the game if my opponent wasn't retarded.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 16, 2017

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I think I just had a game where Obliterate removed my Hallowed Ground. Didn't cost me the game (it was already more or less over) but it was an unpleasant surprise.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm considering this as somewhere to jump ship from Hearthstone and all its God-damned RNG effects and devs who can't seem to do anything else. But I notice this is something of a slow-moving thread.

Is there a playerbase for this to support short queue times? Watching Kibler suggests yes. What about communities for fun deck-building and strategy?

What kind of work am I looking at to get anywhere without a penny spent? Can all content be purchased with game currency? How much catch-up am I looking at, starting now rather than whenever launch was? After over 2 years in Hearthstone I've free-played myself to a comfortable spot, not able to use literally any card but able to do most things. I'd say it took me a year from when I started right before Blackrock Mountain to get that "can mostly play any deck I choose" feeling. Obviously I'm okay with taking time; just let me know how bad it'll be.

What's your perception of game balance? Does the fun-looking tactical map actually matter? Are there in fact RNG cards? Or grossly overpowered "p2w" cards?

In short, what massive awful bullshit lies in wait in this game to balance the scales against the BS in HS?

Be brutally honest, please! I'll be taking everything with a grain of salt seeing as how I'm asking "is game good" in "thread for game" but I'd still like straight takes.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Some quick thoughts as someone who plays both. I do hearthstone more since it is on mobile, and have come back here after a break. My perspective now is from near the bottom of the ladder, but with a reasonable collection.

You can work your way up into the game and it is pretty f2p friendly as some of the basic and core set commons are quite good. No cards are pay locked, same as in hearthstone. There are sets priced as normal expansions and those priced like adventures.

The board matters, at least at low levels, with positioning being more useful than provoke (taunt). Also, the replace mechanic means you can afford more cards as counters, since you can shuffle them away if need be. As a result, there are more huge swing effects and must-answer threats than in hearthstone. Dispel is pretty useful. (Again, all my observations are for lower ladder)

There are RNG cards and effects. It feels more manageable than HS, though there was the card meltdown that was too powerful of RNG.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I think there's a lot of solid archetypes for a new player and the structure is pretty forgiving. It's going to be a little frustrating because there's a few jank decks that you won't be able to assemble without a lot of support from expansions, but basic stuff like deathwatch Abyssian, dervish vet, divine bond lyonar, or magmar are all available to you with relatively safe crafts. I kind of go through phases of playing Hearthstone and Duelyst and I think Duelyst is the better game, but it requires a lot of thought versus just slamming down cards for a burgle rogue deck or something. The positioning element and especially how you decide to play out the first few turns are critical for establishing board presence.

btw I'm messing around with Healyonar and it's really ticking along. Being able to set up Hallowed Ground on the field means you can really kick off from an empty board which is something Healyonar always suffered tremendously from.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I am kind of loving the mulligan-a-card-each-turn feature. I've started my account and won 3 ranked games in baby ladder with Songhai. Down here apparently just understanding basic CCG concepts of card efficiency and such lets you crush face. I may be new to Duelyst but I can tell that "T1 Ice Bolt thing enemy general face" is a baaaad idea along the lines of "T1 Holy Smite face" in HS. And this other guy just walked into Backstab after Backstab.

Thank you for your thoughts and more are welcome.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
freezing enemy general turn 1 can be pretty good, if it denies them the mana tiles and you're playing an aggro deck.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Fun game

The potential to be a tremendous rear end in a top hat is pretty good

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Minrad posted:

freezing enemy general turn 1 can be pretty good, if it denies them the mana tiles and you're playing an aggro deck.

Nah it was the one that does 2 damage and silences. I'm not seeing how this game is much more rewarding game-currency-wise than HS. I see boosters still cost 100 units but these quests go as low as 20 units. A free common every day is probably worth 10 units though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

SuperKlaus posted:

Nah it was the one that does 2 damage and silences. I'm not seeing how this game is much more rewarding game-currency-wise than HS. I see boosters still cost 100 units but these quests go as low as 20 units. A free common every day is probably worth 10 units though.

You get two quests each day, plus 20 gold for the first win. First quest is worth 20 for 4 games, second quest is worth 50 for about 8 games. So you can easily get 90-100 per day if you play 8 games. I tend to clear the longer quest over the course of two-three days, giving me more like 50-60 per day that I play, which is what you can do with Hearthstone playing regularly.

It's a bit faster, and it feels a bit better since the legendaries come every four to five packs. Yes, a deck can have 3 each, but you can at least play around with them sooner, which is fine at least for the splashy big ones. One caveat: no pity timer, so you can have a bad run.

• Locked thread