Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I get that guys don't want to just gratuitously bash players because it's a really hard job but, in making excuses for Kaepernick, Simms (and every other commentator for a Niners game this season) bashes everyone around him. They don't want to say "Kaep sucks" so they say "everyone else sucks", and that's partially true (the whole team is very bad) but is also a very patronizing and annoying way to get out of saying something mean about one particular guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

warcrimes posted:

He doesn't care, though. He has a hundred luxury boxes that cost $2m a year that go straight into his pocket and are not subject to revenue sharing. Everything he's done was to reach that goal, now the team can rot, he has no reason to spend money to win.

The Santa Clara Marlins.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

However, Cousins did have some success downfield, too, but his completion percentage immediately dropped to 66.6 percent when throwing 10 or more yards downfield.

This might be one of the strangest things I've ever seen someone say when trying to prove a player wasn't actually very good.

I've always been skeptical of PFF because they used to tout Chilo Rachal as the 49ers secret MVP or something like that.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

– Two interceptions (along with just 10 scored points) clouded another solid, yet unspectacular outing from QB Matt Ryan. He completed only one pass longer than 20 yards through the air, but would have experienced a prettier stat line if his receivers hadn’t dropped five passes.

If you want to go from below average QB play to top 5 QB play, you gotta throw picks when you're not going deep.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

OneTruePecos posted:

I don't even know if that's safe; how much longer are Bryant and Romo out? I still think the whole division is a total crapshoot if they're back within the next few weeks.

Except even those are garbage, because the graders don't know the assignments and don't distinguish between "got blown up" and "looked awkward trying to save someone else's bacon". And a center who does a good/bad job adjusting the blocking schemes will make the whole line look better/worse and there's no way to give them the proper marginal credit for that. I mean, give them credit for trying but they should be grouping into categories like "awful, bad, ????, good, great", with probably 2/3rds of players in the ???? bucket instead of their faux-precise numerical stuff.

ETA: And even then it's a grade within the scheme they're playing; I dunno, PFF numbers just bug me I guess.

the idea of random guys with a website providing the world with quality, precise, empiricial measurements of individual ol/dl play is analytics snake oil

• Locked thread