Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Simms doesn't like watching QBs struggle, I can get that. And from what I've seen of the games he's called this season he's been more willing to call out bad ref decisions when he sees them. I give Simms a passing grade this year so far.

Simms has always been horrible and this year it seems like he has had early-onset dementia. I can't remember many specific examples, but there have been so many times when he's babbled about a crazy aside, said something that makes no sense, or seemed totally oblivious to what actually occurred on the field. Like, from last night:

https://vine.co/v/eVJHJu3vVJP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Where were we at Week 7 last year? Was Philip Rivers still an MVP candidate?

We know way more now than we knew Week 1, but it's unlikely that all of the obvious division and wildcard winners will keep their momentum until January. I know this because the Bills have had two separate 5–2 starts over the past several years and finished with records of 7–9 and 6–10.

I bet a fraud lives among us, is what I'm saying.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

kalensc posted:

Seahawks

Fraud in the reverse sense? I have a hard time seeing them as being actually worse than 3–4, heh.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

All of the Seahawks losses except for the one in Green Bay were by less than one score and they've also played three undefeated teams.

Their schedule still looks a bit tricky going forward, but they'll probably still be playoff bound.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Thank gently caress for byes

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Now that the Bills are on bye, it's time to reflect a bit about the state of the team.

Prior to the start of the season, the line on the Bills was that if they only had a functional QB, they would be a surefire playoff team. Almost miraculously, they seemed to have found a pretty good QB, but they are going into the bye 3–4.

It's weird, it's hard to pinpoint exactly where it's going wrong. Injuries seem like the easiest answer; certainly, the Bills would have beaten Jacksonville if Tyrod was healthy.

But somewhat more frustratingly, the defense has regressed, despite having mostly the same personnel from last year. It's still probably a top 10 unit, but last year it was arguably #2. Though the cornerbacks are unexpectedly playing lights out, the most expensive defensive line in football has been pretty pedestrian. Is it all scheme? Bad luck? Is Ryan just a mediocre coordinator?

-----

The Bills will probably need to finish 7–2 for a wildcard slot. I don't expect them to drop any more games against the dregs of the league like they did yesterday (assuming Taylor gets and stay healthy), but they don't have many dregs left. The Chiefs, Texans, and maybe Washington should (SHOULD) be surefire wins, but then they also play the Jets twice, the Patriots again, the Campbell Dolphins, the Eagles, and a presumably healthy Cowboys. I don't see them going anything above .500 against that slate.

In conclusion, I hate our loving bullshit division and I hate the Bills.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It's another year, another missed playoffs. I'm personally putting it at the feet of Rex and Dennis Thurman. The defense should be miles ahead of where it is now.

Plus, despite what the Pats would have you believe, a single good QB a good offfensive team does not make. We need more than just Tyrod. He's good, but he's not carry-the-team good.

It's just really hard to assess this team right now, and honestly even kind of hard to assess the job Rex is doing. The expectation still seems to be that the team is all about playing near-perfect defense while the offense does just enough via long, punishing, pound-the-rock type drives, but that's not at all what's happening.

The fact is, the offense is actually pretty good! The offensive line is playing about average right now and even without Taylor, Manuel has been able to move the ball better than Orton did last season. We still haven't really seen it at full strength since Week 1 (and even then McCoy was clearly ailing).

As far as I can tell, Rex and Roman are responsible for Tyrod, the rebuilding of our offensive line, and coaching up our CBs like crazy. But then, the team gets penalized like crazy, the pass rush has vanished, and the defense is unable to generate turnovers.

Just, like, the exact opposite of expectations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ehud posted:

:toxx: if we win I will change your name to fuckboy1 and shrimp's name to fuckboy2

if we lose I'm not doing anything

Tough but fair.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Did anyone try streaming the London game on a smart TV yesterday?

Just wondering if when they (hopefully) do that again next year I'll need chromecast or something, or maybe the nfl will release some sort of app

Yeah, I did it through the Chromecast and had zero problems. It was great.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Rex Ryan doesn't do "bad" offense. Rex Ryan does "so awful, your eyes bleed and you need to crawl up in a corner of the shower to cry after the game is over" offense.

The Bills' offense has been pretty good this year.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

OxySnake posted:

Wtf only a 66% completion percentage after 10 yards? That is still really good. PFF cannot rate QB performances.

*quickly looks up their stats, sees my team's starting quarterback ranked in the top 10*

Actually, they're really good. Gotta watch the film, it's about more than just numbers.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I mean, what is the best way to evaluate quarterback right now. Are we on the DVOA train for that? The Dilfer rating? Or should we just go back to the good old-fashioned quarterback rating?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Why Buffalo Hasn't Made the Playoffs in 15 Years

2000 26 Erik Flowers, Defensive end — lasted for like five games, then was cut by 2001. F
2001 21 Nate Clements, Defensive back — was pretty good for a while, got paid outside of Buffalo but made a Pro Bowl when with them B-
2002 4 Mike Williams Offensive tackle — mega bust. F
2003 23 Willis McGahee Running back — had a couple good years and then acted like a dick and got traded. B-
2004 13 Lee Evans, Wide receiver — was really good for a while, crashed and burned later on. B+
2004 22 J. P. Losman, Quarterback — gently caress off F-
2005 - No Pick - because we traded it for Losman F-
2006 8 Donte Whitner, Safety — an okay safety drafted in the top 10, also a dick C-
2006 26 John McCargo, Defensive tackle — he was poo poo and worthless and the Bills traded up for him F-
2007 12 Marshawn Lynch, Running back — he was good for us for a few seasons, despite what the popular narrative says B+
2008 11 Leodis McKelvin, Defensive back — still on the team, lots of utility, competent C+
2009 11 Aaron Maybin, Defensive end/Outside Linebacker — god drat, man F-
2009 28 Eric Wood, Center — a good, but not great, center. Reliable. B
2010 9 C.J. Spiller, Running back — only lived up to the lofty expectations that one year, but it was pretty neat that one year. B-
2011 3 Marcell Dareus, Defensive tackle — Good as advertised. A
2012 10 Stephon Gilmore, Cornerback — great player, improving every year. A-
2013 16 EJ Manue,l Quarterback — lost in three countries. F
2014 4 Sammy Watkins, Wide receiver — clearly talented and was productive his rookie year, but hasn't lived up to the insane draft capital spent for him yet. Probably not his fauly. Incomplete
2015 - No pick — traded for Sammy.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Or just this:

Andy Benoit ‏@Andy_Benoit 17m17 minutes ago
#Bills Film: Don't say this lightly or with pleasure: Manuel was the reason they lost. Worst QB performance of this NFL season so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

NC-17 posted:

The Browns spent first round picks on a 28 year old pitcher and an alcoholic project QB.

Heh, when you put it like that…

• Locked thread