Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I sorta feel bad for Pete he's always soo jumpy when it comes to scary games. It's entertaining, but man it seems like there's never a time where he's just not scared.

Edit: Since new page and update was last page

pedrovay2003 posted:

Part 9 is up now! In a little bit, I'm going to post some awesome photos of the European collector's edition of the game; a friend of mine in Germany tracked down the only one he could find and sent it my way. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Zain posted:

I sorta feel bad for Pete he's always soo jumpy when it comes to scary games. It's entertaining, but man it seems like there's never a time where he's just not scared.

I think it's a psychological thing for me; I know I'm going to be scared, so I end up more scared than I should be. You should have seen me when I was playing Amnesia for the first time. :magical:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

pedrovay2003 posted:

I think it's a psychological thing for me; I know I'm going to be scared, so I end up more scared than I should be. You should have seen me when I was playing Amnesia for the first time. :magical:

Why would you even do that to yourself? I'm like a megapussy so I just watch LPs, but you're here fuckin' making them!

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

pedrovay2003 posted:

Well now we know what the next LP will be: Frictional's latest game, SOMA. :haw:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

tlarn posted:

Well now we know what the next LP will be: Frictional's latest game, SOMA. :haw:

Idunno, that's a game best played alone, since large parts of the game rely on a feeling of isolation and not having an outlet for nervousness to shine (like the "storm" level).

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
I would actually LOVE to do SOMA as a Let's Play, but Amy and I already played that one, so there wouldn't be nearly as many genuine scares as there are in this one, unfortunately. I was surprised that so many things got me in Calling, but I think that's partially because it had been years since I had played that one.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

pedrovay2003 posted:

I would actually LOVE to do SOMA as a Let's Play, but Amy and I already played that one, so there wouldn't be nearly as many genuine scares as there are in this one, unfortunately. I was surprised that so many things got me in Calling, but I think that's partially because it had been years since I had played that one.
Look into this one - http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/legacy-realm-of-terror/screenshots

Oh, and the huge hair is awesome, but not quite there.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 29, 2015

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I noticed you didn't get attacked as often in that video. My guess would be it's because your wetness meter never really got a chance to max out. (Aside from the basement, it was rather dry indoors.) Maybe you are supposed to use an ember whenever you are getting attacked too often? I can't really imagine any other reason they would give you so many of them, despite enemies with the taint status effect being so rare otherwise.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, part 10 is up!

Also, I wanted to show off a couple of different versions of the game that I've collected over the past little while, so I (ironically) took some photos. The first shot is my Japanese copy of the game, which my then-girlfriend, now-wife Amy got for me for Christmas one year. The second shot is of the newly-released European retail version of the game, in its giant box. A German friend of mine, Lars, sent it to me straight from Germany, and it was the only one he could find. :D It came with a Steelbook, a hard-cover art book, and the coolest extra: a set of spirit photographs. I have no idea what the backs of each one of them say, but man, they make for a cool bonus.

I picked these copies up because I'm hoping that one day, someone will find a way to make the Wii U region free, the way they did with the original Wii (which was how I was able to play my copy of Fatal Frame 4 after importing it). I wish Nintendo would just drop the region locking thing already, honestly.

Morroque posted:

I noticed you didn't get attacked as often in that video. My guess would be it's because your wetness meter never really got a chance to max out. (Aside from the basement, it was rather dry indoors.) Maybe you are supposed to use an ember whenever you are getting attacked too often? I can't really imagine any other reason they would give you so many of them, despite enemies with the taint status effect being so rare otherwise.

That's actually an interesting idea, and I believe you're correct. I think a higher wetness meter means more enemies that attack you and more damage that you take, but I believe you do more damage to them, as well. It's an interesting risk/reward system.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Maybe Rui isn't actually real, but a manifestation of guilt from him murdering a shrine maiden in a past life or something.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

That actually seems really interesting, and very detailed for an older game. I kind of miss my DOS computer; I had so much fun on that thing.

CrazySalamander posted:

Maybe Rui isn't actually real, but a manifestation of guilt from him murdering a shrine maiden in a past life or something.

Ha, that'd be a good twist. Rui can be the one that ties everyone together and constantly brings them back to the forest.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and :ghost:Eeeeeeeeeeve:ghost:.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

No Rui, YOU are the ghosts! And then Rui was the ghosts.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Roro posted:

No Rui, YOU are the ghosts! And then Rui was the ghosts.

If anyone is confused, http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Repercussions_of_Evil is what is being referenced here.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 11 is up! Who would design a mansion like this?

CrazySalamander posted:

If anyone is confused, http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Repercussions_of_Evil is what is being referenced here.

My God, this was something special.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

With your moist meter, you're on empty when the flower is still a bud and on full when it's fully bloomed. You were definitely attacked more when Yuri had a full moist meter in the Womb Cave, and Ren was attacked less when his was empty. Badass lady ghost and fireman ghost seems to have attacks that get you wet (:heysexy:) much more quickly than regular ghosts/wading through flooded rooms, with lady ghost possibly having an attack that instantly fills your meter?

Edit: I'm going to talk more poo poo about flowers because they're cool, dammit, and I don't care if everyone hates it!! The camellia flower that appeared on the locked door can symbolise being in love/perishing with grace/longing/waiting, depending on its colour. Very apt, considering how all these games seem to involve some shrine maiden falling in love with an rear end in a top hat, inevitably causing the world to collapse in on itself until a young girl with a camera and an instagram walks in to save the day.

Roro fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 7, 2015

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
All of the Fatal Frame games are heavily based in Shinto custom, right? All I understand about Shinto is that it's a similar label to Paeganism of old Europe -- not a religion per se, but this roughly defined group of local stories, myths, and customs based in the histories of each given place. Am I understanding that correctly? I ask because, despite having been shown various bits of Shinto from all sorts of Japanese import stuff, I still can't really discern any sort of overraching structure to any of it. Even this game has its religious elements operating entirely by their own rules, and part of the game is sussing it all out.

As far as I can tell thus far, most of the mountain was this large burial ground that also had these elaborate kind of last rites performed. The reason why those rites got started has something to do with the source of water on the mountain. Since it talks about both "The Pure Water" and "The Black Water" -- with the Black Water being "the netherworld itself" -- I can assume that something happened in the past by which a plague of some sort was passing around in the water supply, and some offered human sacrifice was believed to have appeased it. That's the only real explanation I can give for what we've seen so far.

I have this book on my to-read list that supposedly is about human sacrifice in ancient societies, and how they were ritualized as a means of controlling violence in large populations. I wonder if reading it will give any insight into what is going on here.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to think that you guys are a hell of a lot smarter than I am. I love reading all the cool stuff you know about the culture in these games.

Also, Part 12 is up!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
As memory serves, Shinto is indeed not strictly practiced in most places, and serves more as a spiderweb of superstitions and personal beliefs rather than being a highly organized religion with a well-publicized manual of conduct. I honestly don't recall enough to comment on some of the other claims/questions about it.

What I think I can point out, if my memory hasn't completely failed, is that Shinto is basically one of the last surviving remnants of action-based religious beliefs in industrialized societies (as opposed to...I think it's called moral-based religion, or something like that?). See, most relatively recent religions operate on the idea that there are RULES in the universe, but that rules can be bent, or even broken, and transgressions are often forgivable, especially in the face of extenuating factors like ignorance or duress. A man who is made to puppet a sinful act by someone holding them hostage might not have actually sinned, or at the very least can atone for their sin. Most Shinto traditions, however, are much more strict. It doesn't matter that you didn't know the right ritual, or that you didn't know to stay out of the haunted shrine at sundown, you're still going to be punished regardless of ignorance or duress. That idea also plays/played a recurring role in modern Japanese horror, popularized in part by films like The Ring. You see the theme VERY prominently in game series like Siren or Fatal Frame. It doesn't matter that you don't know the secluded village's deep dark secret, if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, you're hosed. (very minor Silent Hill series spoiler, doesn't apply to every game) Silent Hill, by contrast, heavily bucks that trend; most people who get to see the shadier/foggier/icier/hotter/wetter/rustier part of town do so because of their own personal demons, rather than happenstance. There are characters throughout the games who are wholly immune to and/or ignorant of the town's sinister mirror-world, because they're just not troubled enough to conjure it, and even more disturbingly, occasionally people who KNOW that there's an illusory element to the town, and use it an excuse to act out their darker fantasies. Wait no at the very least my terminology is wrong, so take all this with a huge grain of salt.

On the note of other horror series, another great one is the Siren series. One's probably better off watching the (excellent) LP's of the first two games, which should be in the LP Archives, as I don't know for sure how playable the first game is or whether the first two games ever got a translated release.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 9, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The interesting thing I find about the Fatal Frame games is that they talk about Shinto rituals gone horribly wrong, yet real life Shinto doesn't really deal with death much, outside of death being impure and produces kegare which I suppose the closest translation of that would be defilement. Shinto rituals usually take the form of matters relating to new births, marriages and the like. The Japanese generally have looked to Buddhism for matters of death and for funerals so Fatal Frame having Shinto rituals that directly deal with death and sacrifice instead of purification is actually sort of unusual.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

pedrovay2003 posted:

I'm starting to think that you guys are a hell of a lot smarter than I am. I love reading all the cool stuff you know about the culture in these games.

Also, Part 12 is up!

I just think flower language is cool, so I Google the flowers we see in game and see if there's anything that could be relevant. I doubt they actually used hanakotoba when making the game, but it is interesting to see where a choice in flower really gels with the story.

EDIT: Also, Amy is 100% correct, the area you were walking through was the tutorial area, and Miu was the controllable character. If you remember the glimpses of Miu we saw that you could photograph, she was behaving the same way as she was during the end of prologue cutscene (backing awy towards the door to the box room).

Roro fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 9, 2015

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Roro posted:

EDIT: Also, Amy is 100% correct, the area you were walking through was the tutorial area, and Miu was the controllable character. If you remember the glimpses of Miu we saw that you could photograph, she was behaving the same way as she was during the end of prologue cutscene (backing awy towards the door to the box room).

I absolutely forgot that I had even played as Miu at all. I had to look up my own videos to check that out.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Woo, part 13 is up now! Marvel as I almost have a breakdown from the horrid battle against two spirits in a very confined space!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I donno, the lady did seem 1 hitish, but yeah just comparatively it's not even a competition on bigger impact.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Three ghosts at the same time is apparently nothing compared to two aggressive ghosts in a tight space; that situation would've frustrated me to no end

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is there a cheat to make every ghost sound ticklish when you finger them as they die?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Pretty sure that umbrella ghost was just an opportunity for a touch movie. At Least that's the vibe I'm getting. Never played these games before and you guys are a blast to listen to :D

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

Is there a cheat to make every ghost sound ticklish when you finger them as they die?

I can make those noises for you. I am the cheat.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

drat Yuri, you were totally touching the tiddy at the end there :allears:
No wonder Miu was mad.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Are all the ghosts in the games so passive? It seems like there is very little danger.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Zain posted:

Are all the ghosts in the games so passive? It seems like there is very little danger.

From what I recall, most of the games aren't too challenging as long as you have a good sense of timing, but ghost aggression level varies a lot, and yes, lots of ghosts just aren't that aggressive.

Remember, you're also fighting the controls in most of these games.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
I really got the vibe that Miu was somehow pushing Yuri back out for having the gall to touch her.
It's like the Fatal Frame equivalent of Professor Xavier trying to get into Magneto's head until Magneto gets the helmet on. :allears: At least, that's what I took away from that scene.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Okay, here is what I've pieced together. The mountain was a ground of last rites which was a tradition borne out of some heroic sacrifice which stopped or appeased some kind of plague within the mountain's water supply. The institutions of the temple shrine, the convent of maidens, and even those monks tending some type of fire, were all connected to that purpose. The scene and the setting make perfect sense now.

The problem now is that the timeline doesn't quite add up. The practices of the Hikami Sect were brought to an end somehow, and enough time has passed such that the purpose of the mountain is no longer fully understood by the locals. There was an attempt to modernize Mount Hikami at least once, with the inn, the hot springs, the cable car, and an attempt at building a road to it. Yuri even reads from a tourist brochure that was made for that purpose. These all ended in tragedy, of course, but it is also the only part of the timeline is the one that makes any sense since the environment directly supports it. Everything else is rather inexact.

So what exactly happened to the Hikami Sect which caused them to vanish? We were to believe that the madman with the torch is the one that did them all in, but he always runs off before we can ghosttouch him. We still lack his viewpoint in matters. I can make an educated guess that he was some criminal who went to Mount Hikami for a possible action of atonement, but before it could happen he lost his nerve and tried to run away. The ritual, once begun, must continue, and the shrine maidens try to prevent his escape. Then he has an idea: if the shrine maidens can steal your secrets by looking at you, then rip out their eyes to get them back. He kills one in defense of himself, but through madman logic eventually decides the whole dang sect has to go.

However, the madman could not have been the final blow to the Hikami Sect, largely because of new information in this video. This was the first appearance of the flower lady. By the game's logic, anyone who can one-shot the player must be important and for good reason, but we don't really know anything about her. I would suppose her to be the most important figure in the plot, but we only have game mechanics to base that off of. It's clear she's not just another ghost, while our madman can be easily dispatched. Maybe the madman's massacre was the event that set the plot in motion, but something must've happened afterwards which was the last straw.

The only evidence against any of this is Ren. He seems to have some kind of repressed memory regarding Mount Hikami, and we have the honest word of at least one situationally-aware ghost who claims witness to it. Yet, it doesn't match up chronologically. Given the modernization attempts and the fact that the young girl in the shrine had to have died while the Hikami Sect was still practising, there is no way the young-looking Ren could be old enough to have actually been there.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe the ghost girl was reincarnated in time for Ren to kill her again in a weird new version of the sect? Or maybe Ren is a reincarnation of the boy who killed her, who probably got offed at about the same time and that's why she recognises his soul? There was the semi-reincarnation in 3, so it's not like it would be new to the series.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zain posted:

I actually tend to believe that the spirits in this particular game are actually more aggressive than past games. They seem to get "stuck" for a while, but then they all go batshit and rush you from every direction; that's why I always sound surprised when they come at me. It's been really hard for me to read them in this game, whereas in past entries, they have a very noticeable pattern that they follow.

Dual Monarchy posted:

I really got the vibe that Miu was somehow pushing Yuri back out for having the gall to touch her.
It's like the Fatal Frame equivalent of Professor Xavier trying to get into Magneto's head until Magneto gets the helmet on. :allears: At least, that's what I took away from that scene.

If metal stuff starts flying around while Miu's on the screen, I'm going to lose my poo poo.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Roro posted:

drat Yuri, you were totally touching the tiddy at the end there :allears:
No wonder Miu was mad.

Well the objective was to "touch Miu" so what could you do? :v:

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay guys, part 14 is up! Everyone wanted to go on a children hunt, right?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think you might wanna upgrade the sensor, since that seems like it would let you lock-on to more objects in the distance which increases the time you can combo snap when you get a Fatal Frame.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Rei Kurosawa is a main character in Fatal Frame III. IIRC the Kurosawas were the carpenter family in FF2 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013

CrazySalamander posted:

Rei Kurosawa is a main character in Fatal Frame III. IIRC the Kurosawas were the carpenter family in FF2 as well.

I think they were the main family, since Sae and her dad were like pivotal to that game's particular sacrifice (and were some serious bosses to fight).

• Locked thread