Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
This might just be me and doesn't have anything to do with the current video in particular, but I just gotta say... I don't think I'd trust vials of sacred water as my healing items when the sacred water of the mountain is actively trying to kill you. One of these nights you're going to down a vial during a fight and just start coughing out inky black taint as the waters of the Netherworld force their way towards your lungs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Edvarius posted:

This might just be me and doesn't have anything to do with the current video in particular, but I just gotta say... I don't think I'd trust vials of sacred water as my healing items when the sacred water of the mountain is actively trying to kill you. One of these nights you're going to down a vial during a fight and just start coughing out inky black taint as the waters of the Netherworld force their way towards your lungs.
The vials have been de-haired by hand. A cold ghostly hand. Maybe the one who keeps attacking when people are grabbing its stuff.

Now I wish there were a ghost-o-vision clip where someone strategically places film and other things on the mountain.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The interesting thing I find about the Fatal Frame games is that they talk about Shinto rituals gone horribly wrong, yet real life Shinto doesn't really deal with death much, outside of death being impure and produces kegare which I suppose the closest translation of that would be defilement. Shinto rituals usually take the form of matters relating to new births, marriages and the like. The Japanese generally have looked to Buddhism for matters of death and for funerals so Fatal Frame having Shinto rituals that directly deal with death and sacrifice instead of purification is actually sort of unusual.

Shinto doesn't deal with death specifically because death is the biggest taboo in Shinto. Kegare is a horrible, horrible thing that must be avoided and cleansed whenever possible. People whose jobs deal with death, such as undertakers, are basically tainted for all eternity and their descendants are still discriminated against in modern Japan (which is obviously something people don't like to talk about). Thus, a Shinto ritual that deals in death is a viscerally disgusting and sacrilegious thing, making it perfect for a creepy horror game.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

CrazySalamander posted:

Rei Kurosawa is a main character in Fatal Frame III. IIRC the Kurosawas were the carpenter family in FF2 as well.

Holy crap, I forgot the main character's name? That figures, I'm still constantly asking Amy who we're even playing as in this game.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I got around to watching your other uploaded videos and you two are pretty fantastic. That skate 3 playlist had me in stitches.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

pedrovay2003 posted:

Holy crap, I forgot the main character's name? That figures, I'm still constantly asking Amy who we're even playing as in this game.

To be fair a lot of the girls look alike in this one. It's hard to tell which is which and when.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Clarste posted:

Shinto doesn't deal with death specifically because death is the biggest taboo in Shinto. Kegare is a horrible, horrible thing that must be avoided and cleansed whenever possible. People whose jobs deal with death, such as undertakers, are basically tainted for all eternity and their descendants are still discriminated against in modern Japan (which is obviously something people don't like to talk about). Thus, a Shinto ritual that deals in death is a viscerally disgusting and sacrilegious thing, making it perfect for a creepy horror game.

I wonder if this is a context that is incredibly obvious in the original Japanese release that is somewhat lost on us. I feel like the primary character an English audience would identify with in this would be Ren, as he is in an exploratory position of trying to figure out and understand something that is just outside of his grasp. He's exploring Mt. Hikami in order to try and understand it better -- thus curing himself of those nightmares. Comparatively, the only way we have of understanding Yuri is that she is semi-recovering from suicide ideation and that she is constantly hounded by ghosts all the time. That just makes her a semi-tragic figure, but factoring Kegare into things would make it much worse. She would be in a position where she is already "defiled" in a sense, but going back to the mountain over and over would only put her at more risk of defilement -- regardless of what the plot demands. Kegare would be like a culturally-imposed multiplier on what probably already is a rather severe depression.

I probably don't appreciate Yuri enough, all things considered. Since we spend so much time within the game's action, her characterization is very understated. You can almost forget that we are playing a Nintendo-developed game whose main character is a female lead coping with depression. I can't say I would've imagined that to be a thing that would've ever happened a few years ago.

Zain posted:

To be fair a lot of the girls look alike in this one. It's hard to tell which is which and when.

Miu has black hair and is wearing socks that go up way past her knees. Rui is the one where you are not sure what gender he/she might or might not be at any given point. Hisoka is the only adult in the room, which seems like the very definition of a thankless job. Haruka is the one who has that "deer in your headlights" kind of dazed look all the time and probably walked directly into traffic soon after we rescued her. Fuyuhi is the one who has that creepy, beady look that you don't quite want to make eye contact with for too long or else you'll get hexed by a witch's curse. And Yuri is the only one with brown hair and is probably in the ridiculous outfit that looks like a clothing designer with a little too much determination and professional standards was forced to make a Touhou character cosplay at gunpoint.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

To be honest we still don't really know enough about Yuri to sympathize with her. That last cutscene was the closest we came to understanding what's going on in her head.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, part 15 is ready! The game tries something new with this chapter, and I really like how it turned out.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I think the new girl there was Haruka. Guess she really did walk right into traffic after we rescued her. And Fuyuhi was the one driving. Well, at least there was something cute about the two lovers from the early game coming back to haunt us as a couple.

Also: Didya hear that Ren? It was the cry of the mountain! That means you're eligible to become a shrine maiden! Hooray for supernatural gender equity! :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I was hoping for a one-liner from Ren when he went to the entrance of the shop to confront the ghosts.

"Nice prices huh? You can just die for them!"
"Window shopping...is not free!"
"Smile, you're on camera!"

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
It's as if the Night Trap model of gameplay works a lot better when you don't instantly die to an enemy, and have to start the night/level all over again

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Man, it was really a good decision on Hisoka's part to spring the extra yen for to upgrade to Security Camera Obscura.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lunar Suite posted:

Man, it was really a good decision on Hisoka's part to spring the extra yen for to upgrade to Security Camera Obscura.

I want to retroactively rename that episode to Security Camera Obscura. I can't stop saying that out loud. :D

Also, yeah, why can Ren see spirits through the store's cameras? Also, why are there cameras in the bedrooms? Is there a bathroom cam, too? Also, WHY ARE THERE NO BATHROOMS?!

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Chamber pot and toss into the rain room? Black water and all, that's probably why Ren saw that shrine maiden there.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

pedrovay2003 posted:

Also, WHY ARE THERE NO BATHROOMS?!
Now you know why the shallow water in the area is so dangerous.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

pedrovay2003 posted:

I want to retroactively rename that episode to Security Camera Obscura. I can't stop saying that out loud. :D

Also, yeah, why can Ren see spirits through the store's cameras? Also, why are there cameras in the bedrooms? Is there a bathroom cam, too? Also, WHY ARE THERE NO BATHROOMS?!

You know you can edit a video's title right? No retroactivity necessary.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You know you can edit a video's title right? No retroactivity necessary.

Yeah, I may do that. We've been keeping with the theme of naming videos based on something one of us says, but I do like what I've read here.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

pedrovay2003 posted:

Do you honestly think that Hisoka is making money off her lovely cafe/antiques store/found the lost gig?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
You're lucky you didn't catch any orbs in your security footage, then you'd have a real ghost problem. :tinfoil:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

You know, the ghost security camera thing coulda been way better if they thought about it more.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
I was wondering how the security cameras were picking up ghosts, but I guess the technology seems archaic enough to pick them up. That's how this works right? :v:
The end of that video only further convinces me that Miu is allergic to people in her personal space and breaks out in ghostly visions to make it stop.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's time for part 16, the first episode in which I die, much to my dismay. This was a crazy episode with some awesome editing by Amy.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Well I guess now we have a feel for why the game's been pretty liberal with the stone mirrors- they're not for the regular enemies, they're for this crazy gal.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I think the Distance thing is to help with the damage output too? Like the further away the ghosts are the less damage they seem to take.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I hope this comic strip helps explain Miss Hisaki's age progression throughout the games:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Maybe you have to use the stun lens on insta-kill lady? She's probably programmed to not take damage, but maybe lenses would work?

Well the Sensor upgrade seems to have helped, you're getting locked-on to 5 things way more consistently now. I guess Output would be a good next choice though yeah.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Maybe you have to use the stun lens on insta-kill lady? She's probably programmed to not take damage, but maybe lenses would work?

Well the Sensor upgrade seems to have helped, you're getting locked-on to 5 things way more consistently now. I guess Output would be a good next choice though yeah.

That's what I was thinking! Like I'm sure she gets staggered.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting the feeling that Ms. One-Hit-Kill is actually Miku.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
For some reason when you tried to get the story out of the kid ghost I imagined Miu like somewhere between schoolyard bully and bad cop shaking them down for the truth.
Speaking of Miu, her opinion of Yuri 180'd now that she got to do the weird spirit-power-off thing. I really thought there was going to be more psychic standoff moments between 'em, oh well!

And after all that, talk about an abrupt Game Over screen appearing, jeez. :stare:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The one-hit ghost seems nice enough to give you a one-frame dodge prompt.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Ho ho ho, it's Peter... Claus... here with part 17 for your enjoyment! Merry Christmas! This one actually has some interesting story parts that started to really get me into it. I like where everything seems to be going.

Also, apparently, we're actually super close to the end of the game. I don't know what the story percentage meter is counting, but after part 18 is uploaded, we've only got about three or four chapters left. Each character has multiple endings from what I've read, though, so I think we'll still see some play beyond the end credits.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 25, 2015

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
Merry spooky Christmas, thanks for the festive update :3:
Given how Fatal Frame tends to lean a lot on either descendants of those involved in the ghost incident or paralleling the deceased's lives in some way, it seems like Ren's probably filling in for Aso(u) whether he's a relative or an echo.

The sound effects fighting the last ghost in that video though. :gonk:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Is it that the fights take super long or is it they just want a picture of their good side taken?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm genuinely impressed with our Mt. Hikami pillar save rate. The only person we've failed to save was Fuyuhi, everyone else got off the mountain but decided to come back.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The first rule of Womb Cavern is always go to Womb Cavern.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SSNeoman posted:

I'm genuinely impressed with our Mt. Hikami pillar save rate. The only person we've failed to save was Fuyuhi, everyone else got off the mountain but decided to come back.

Yeah, so far the plot seems to be: Girl talks to you, decides to go to the mountain, you get her back to safety, she hikes back up and gets lost again.
The notes extend the story, but I'm not really feeling it.

Also: "There, they encountered Ren's friend Kazuya, whose own wedding to a ghost went horribly wrong."
What's the best case scenario here?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 26, 2015

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Womb Cavern, (you'll get caught up in the) Womb Cavern

tlarn fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 27, 2015

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

tlarn posted:

Womb Cavern, (you'll get caught up in the) Womb Cavern

If I go around screaming "Womb Cavern" at the top of my lungs in random places around town, people will think of the Crossfire commercial, won't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

pedrovay2003 posted:

If I go around screaming "Womb Cavern" at the top of my lungs in random places around town, people will think of the Crossfire commercial, won't they?

All in the cadence and delivery, gotta own it

• Locked thread