Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
This was a lot more interesting than Ren's other segments. It did make me think of Eternal Darkness for some reason.

I think that'd be a fun game to see you two LP, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
The worst jump-scare in the game so far, I knew it was going to happen eventually and still I jumped in my chair like a little girl! This is why I follow the LP as I slowly play through the game myself on Easy. I love the stories in Fatal Frame but the jump-scares, man. :sweatdrop: (I amp up the difficulty in subsequent playthroughs.)

In case anyone is wondering, Easy mode basically gives you 10 of all items off the bat (including Mirrorstones) and loads of stronger films in the menu as well as more items and film on the ground/shelves/ghost hands/whatever. To the point where it actually feels really patronizing:"10th Sacred Water in the last five minutes? With the boss of the chapter still about 30 minutes away? And only two random fights of two ghosts before that?! HOW BAD AT THIS DOES THE GAME THINK I AM?!"

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Hey, it's time for part 22! We say early on that we're going to play through the rest of the game in this video, but we got in WAY over our heads, and the final chapter is much longer than expected, so this is only the first part of it.

Echophonic posted:

This was a lot more interesting than Ren's other segments. It did make me think of Eternal Darkness for some reason.

I think that'd be a fun game to see you two LP, actually.

I loved Eternal Darkness; I'm still sad Shadow of the Eternals didn't pan out. I'd like to LP it one day, honestly.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

If you're looking for other suggestions, there's http://store.steampowered.com/app/356670/

It's free!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SSNeoman posted:

If you're looking for other suggestions, there's http://store.steampowered.com/app/356670/

It's free!

This is a brilliant idea.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
Cheese banana about sums up the quality of that one particular lady ghost's voice acting somehow.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

One of you asked "Where's everyone else?" to which my mind's eye brought up a delightful image of the various girls sleepwalking and heading out of their rooms, but are held in check by the bed frame they're dragging behind them by the rope tied around their ankles.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
So the only reason why Yuri is going back to the mountain is not to stop any world-ending calamity but rather because she hates herself and wants to die?

I can sort of respect that, in a way.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Could somebody fanart/shop Kratos standing on that precipice in a schoolgirl outfit?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Holy crap guys, it's the end of the main story with part 23! We're not done, though, because Ayane from Dead or Alive is in the game for some reason, so we have to play her chapters! Also, let's all give Amy a hand for the music editing/improvement at the end of this episode.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
I could have sworn the two creaky dudes were two entirely different people - one of them Ren's friend and the other some other poor schmuck who ended up boxed with a dead girl. You'd think there's a variety of dead men and women around if these rituals have been done for as long as the narrative leads us to believe.

As for Japanese incest acceptance: first cousins getting married is considered okay, legally speaking. Closer relations than that and you'll get the dismay of other people and the law.

Will you guys be playing the other endings? :kiddo:

EDIT: Ren has four different endings depending on your choice of token and actions when meeting your bride. I actually like the new approach of single characters having several endings with actual cutscenes and all, it was most frustrating about FF3 when you worked and battled your way to saving everyone and all you got was a lousy PowerPoint presentation of everyone waking up.

CryingAthena fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 16, 2016

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Everybody lives! Yay!

As for what happened, um... maybe Ose was the one to glance Knifey McBurney after he got done with his killing spree and lit himself on fire, but with her desire to live with Aso she wasn't a particularly strong pillar and therefore couldn't handle the psychic strain of those particular memories afterward and everything went to black water? She might have also taken on the burdens of the murdered shrine maidens as well if she was in that area and taking on the killer's memories, resulting in a weak pillar trying to hold up what would normally take 5 or so?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
The reason Ren has a different camera than Miu and Yuri is because.... Reasons... Men and men cameras and women have women cameras.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

CryingAthena posted:

Will you guys be playing the other endings? :kiddo:

Yup, we're going to film those really soon. :-D

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I don't think you guys really missed anything, plot-wise. It definitely seems like Aso was holding doll-girl and Ose to the world, though.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Echophonic posted:

I don't think you guys really missed anything, plot-wise. It definitely seems like Aso was holding doll-girl and Ose to the world, though.

I'd say that in case of Shiragiku it was a childhood crush on her part. She became infatuated with Aso and wouldn't let go of the "promise".
Ose, on the other hand, had feelings for adult Aso and he felt the same way. These feelings were never realized in life though, leaving Ose to die with regrets and Aso thinking he was never going to meet her again.

I'd say the true antagonists of the game were the grandmas and their wedding cult. :colbert:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
The royalty-free music swapped out for the music that got you guys flagged for copyright loving slayed me, jesus

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

To be honest, I feel like the game lost its momentum after Ren escaped the Mist house for the first time. And yeah, we learned nothing about Ose, other then the fact she killed men because she was looking for Aso.

I love that you didn't use your Type-00 in the final fight :allears:

CryingAthena posted:

I'd say the true antagonists of the game were the grandmas and their wedding cult. :colbert:

Who incidentally, we also did not learn much about either.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

tlarn posted:

The royalty-free music swapped out for the music that got you guys flagged for copyright loving slayed me, jesus

What advert do I recognize the jaunty guitar tune from??
but yeah that circus music as Ose pulls a one woman vanishing act, holy poo poo

edit: Sacred Water, coming off Mt. Hikami... so, Mountain Dew?

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 16, 2016

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

"Oh... This looks like a terrible place!" :lol:

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Amy has been kind enough to bless us all with an alternate music remix for the copyrighted part of the video. Christmas has come again!

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
I feel like a lot of Fatal Frame games could be solved with just the big bad ghost getting a big hug. That was actually a really lovely, sweet ending.

...and then that loving royalty free music kicks in and I'm in tears of laughter, oh my god.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

pedrovay2003 posted:

Amy has been kind enough to bless us all with an alternate music remix for the copyrighted part of the video. Christmas has come again!

Absolutely brilliant.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Hey, guys, it's time for part 24, the first part of Ayane's story! Yup, that exists, all right!

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I like the tall lady too.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Let's Play! > Fatal Frame 5: I'm glad I did this, but what the hell is happening right now?

Yeah, I expected Ayane to be fanservicey, but that outfit's dumber than her usual look. I guess they had the idea for the writing on her back and couldn't come up with something other than a really impractical corset? I feel like the side-tie underwear with all those handsy ghost hands is asking for trouble, too.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 20, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

What the even Hell is up with this mode? It seems so bad and just ill conceived.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm guessing both DoR and this game use the same engine or something. So they just decided "well we're here might as well inject some INNOVATION while they're at it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Gropy gropy skeletons...

Not much of an extra compared to Annihilation in Siren 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0cJU2h0Di4

SSNeoman posted:

So they just decided "well we're here might as well inject some INNOVATION while they're at it.
At least the gun sections in NGS2 worked better. Unfortunately they were ultimately remade into Other M.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
While on that subject, a general reminder that the reason videogame dudes generally aren't sexy or attractive for women is because they're designed for dudes. Tons of videogame dudes are designed to look/act strong, gritty, suave, or otherwise "manly" for a male audience at the cost of dismissing or ignoring the female audience.

Aiden Pearce of Watch_Dogs was supposed to be considered a cool guy to gamer-dudes, and he's a total weenie.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
With previous experience of the series she is supposedly from, I elect to believe that Ayane is a literal Friendship Ninja, whose sole purpose in life is to go from place to place and cheer up lonely people for a few seconds before mysteriously disappearing again.

This is a proper and correct interpretation of events.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I'm only on part 14 so far, but did you ever fix the issue with your TV? You mention that you're running 1080, but recording 720. I never had issues with my Wii U on my old TV running 720p, but it after I got a new TV and switched to 1080p, the screen would randomly go black for a second or two (while the audio kept playing) during some play sessions. Googling said that it's an issue with the Wii U's handshaking at 1080p. I changed the Wii U to output 1080i and I haven't seen the issue since.

Edit: And of course, two minutes after I pause and post this, you two talk about changing the output resolution.

Also, thanks for playing the game so I don't have to. I downloaded the trial version a while back and the controls just put me off way too much.

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 21, 2016

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Also hey while we wait for more Ayane action, why not see some Fatal Frame beta gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNnLwxEenKI

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Can't believe I'm only just seeing this, loved your playthrough of Calling, and I love Fatal Frame! Been great so far

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, guys, this is it: It's time for the end of the story of Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water. (I say "story," but remember that this is Ayane's part of the game, so... Yeah.) This is really bittersweet for us, and for me especially; I love this series, and I'm sad that it's almost over, but I also really appreciate everyone watching through the entire thing. I feel like I've made some friends on here, and I love that. :-D

There's one more Fatal Frame video to go, where we show the alternate endings of each character.

tlarn posted:

Also hey while we wait for more Ayane action, why not see some Fatal Frame beta gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNnLwxEenKI

WHAT IS MY LIFE

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

pedrovay2003 posted:

but I also really appreciate everyone watching through the entire thing. I feel like I've made some friends on here, and I love that. :-D

Came for the Japanese horror story, stayed for Skate 3. You two are great.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think it's less because you took damage and more because you used an item. Which leads me to believe that the prostrat for Ayane is to just throw caution and stealth to the wind, run to the item locations and then run to the end. Ignore any and all other mechanics.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

I think it's less because you took damage and more because you used an item. Which leads me to believe that the prostrat for Ayane is to just throw caution and stealth to the wind, run to the item locations and then run to the end. Ignore any and all other mechanics.

That's what I was thinking! It seems very much that it "Wants to be stealth" but doesn't really know how to do it. Which is fine they are the FF guys not like the.... actually does Koei Tecmo have a stealth game? Either way! The game is not suited for stealth but they really needed to think through that crap.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
Ayane must have the shortest neck of the entire cast, it was painful just looking at her! Those tension headaches must be hellish! :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's weird that Ayane was so preachy about sisters and how they actually mean well. As far as I recall, she has a strained relation with her sister-cousin and wants to kill her. So she is kind of a hypocrite there.

• Locked thread