Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Teflon releases gases when superheated, but the gas is not teflon. It's chemical byproducts. Teflon itself is safe to swallow. That took me like ten seconds to google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What on earth are you all doing with your teflon that makes it come off the pan and gas your rear end?

I've used the same pan for years on the highest hob setting and the only problem with it is that it's chipping because I keep hitting it with metal cutlery.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

OwlFancier posted:

What on earth are you all doing with your teflon that makes it come off the pan and gas your rear end?

I've used the same pan for years on the highest hob setting and the only problem with it is that it's chipping because I keep hitting it with metal cutlery.

Heating it past about 250 degrees C.

So, it's not a problem as long as there's some water or relatively low smoke point oil in the pan. But, Teflon and similar nonstick coatings are a bad idea if you're heating the pan itself to very high temperatures.

How you set your burner doesn't have that much to do with it - you can run a big burner at full heat under a big pot of water for hours and the pan won't get over 100C/212F. But, heat a pan up at medium heat with nothing in it (say, because you're preheating your wok or cast iron pan), and it will get to bad-for-Teflon temps pretty quickly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, the common rule for non-stick is to keep it at Medium heat, at most, and never put it on a flame with nothing in it.

I've got a cheap non-stick set for most day-to-day cooking but I need cast iron if I ever want to put a decent sear on something. Just wish I could cook burger patties on the things without the grease spitting every which-a-way.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Never heard of a splatter guard?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
They don't work as well as I'd like.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
How do you mean? Just get a cast iron pan with a relatively high wall, and cook with the splatter guard on top.

Trust me, if you do it right, it works. There's nothing I hate more than grease stains on a shirt from cooking. Might take a bit to get the hang of it but I suggest that you figure it out if splattering is a big issue.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Please link your splatter guard that prevents all spatter. I have one, but it only cuts down on it, definitely doesn't eliminate the issue.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is what aprons are for. Aprons are cool.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

This is what aprons are for. Aprons are cool.

It's actually pretty hard to find a decent one, in my experience. I finally found one, but it took a while.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Weird, I always end up with the oil going crazy before I end up damaging the pan. And my food goes brown as hell, if anything I have to turn it down to avoid having it raw in the middle.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Quit being a pussy a just tough it out. I cook bacon in my cast-iron. Naked. :getin:

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

GORDON posted:

Nobody needs to get nasty about it...

...but I go online and find these asian recipes, and it assumes all kinds of knowledge to which I've never been exposed. Is my wok seasoned? I don't know. Why do they say "stir fry for 1-2 minutes until meat seared" when it seems to take my meat like 12 minutes even with a hot pan. There were other boggles that I can't remember. It has been a couple years but I was never able to adequately duplicate pepper steak, or broccoli chicken, or any of my other fave chinese dishes. I can cook other things, but my asian dishes all tasted like half rear end.

When I gave it up I remember thinking, "I just need to take a class for this poo poo."

I can't speak for all different types (Asian cooking spans around what...like 20 different countries and numerous different ethnicities?) but the core thing is a carbon steel wok that is well seasoned and a very...very intense burner. Most people do not have the types of burners they use in restaurants to accurately replicate the experience. This goes for Americanized fare or traditional. It can be replicated though...but it is tough. Oddly, thai food is really accessible in this respect because it's easy to replicate on any normal stove.

Edit: In your typical Chinese restaurant (which you're trying to replicate) the wok they're using is around 3 feet in diameter and sits on a ring stand with a multi-nozzle big rear end commerical burner underneath it. It's a giant amount of heat and chances are you can't recreate that in your kitchen.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 4, 2016

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
So what do Chinese people do when cooking at home with woks?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

BarbarianElephant posted:

You can stirfry stuff in a regular steel pan.

Alternatively, they eat something other than stir-fry, which is also common

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

Not the stuff that he's attempting to make if he's trying to recreate the American Chinese food experience.

There's a sort of a difference between 'table food' and what's served at restaurants. You can even see this with our cuisine.

I mean I'm not going to say it's impossible...but don't expect to make it like your favorite takeout joint.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 4, 2016

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What really sucks is when I would thin-slice some chicken breast... but most American chicken is so plumped up with salt water that you end up boiling it in the pan when the water cooks out instead of searing it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

GORDON posted:

What really sucks is when I would thin-slice some chicken breast... but most American chicken is so plumped up with salt water that you end up boiling it in the pan when the water cooks out instead of searing it.

have you tried aging it in your fridge first cause yeah straight out of the package where it's been swimming in an ocean of meat juice I can see that being a problem

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

have you tried aging it in your fridge first cause yeah straight out of the package where it's been swimming in an ocean of meat juice I can see that being a problem

No I haven't. Would that work? It already sits in its packaging not leaking the juice out. It only comes out of the flesh when cooked, from what I have observed.

I think the answer would be "buy better meat." Tyson and poo poo injects the chickens with salt water... I bet a typical good butcher shop would not.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
BTW, if you've never heard of "plumping" chicken, it's the process by which up to 30% of the chicken you pay for... is water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumping

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Chicken breast is poo poo. Get thighs and trim the excess fat off. If you buy them with the bone in and remove it, you can save the bones to make stock with too!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can also use the fat to cook the chicken if you want it to taste more chickeny.

But otherwise I would suggest you can probably let it sit open a bit to dry it out some? I dunno. Or cut it thinner and drain it perhaps.

Otherwise yeah buy better chicken, cheap chicken is cheap because it's not actually chicken.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 5, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

You can also use the fat to cook the chicken if you want it to taste more chickeny.

Also true. I'm going to make some chicken leg confit this weekend, speaking of fun things to do with chicken fat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eeerrhrrhghg I might not have had very good confit before but it's hard for me to like it. It just makes me ill after a while. Nice tender meat but rich to the point of greasy. Generally prefer high temp fried and well drained.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Eeerrhrrhghg I might not have had very good confit before but it's hard for me to like it. It just makes me ill after a while. Nice tender meat but rich to the point of greasy. Generally prefer high temp fried and well drained.

I've always enjoyed it, but it's entirely possible I'll gently caress it up when I try it myself.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Chicken breast may not be very flavorful, but that's sort of the point. It's good in curries and other stuff where you don't want something that will overpower the spices. It is also a better source of lean protein than the legs and thighs. And has less disgusting gristle in it. Gristle can go gently caress itself.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Chicken breast may not be very flavorful, but that's sort of the point. It's good in curries and other stuff where you don't want something that will overpower the spices. It is also a better source of lean protein than the legs and thighs. And has less disgusting gristle in it. Gristle can go gently caress itself.

Chicken in curry barely tastes like anything at all. Why even bother eating meat if you can't taste it, especially if it's comparatively expensive like chicken breast? Trim your thighs better to avoid gristle. You can feel it when its raw, so break out the knife and remove it.

Also: what is the loving fascination that the supermarket has with processing my meat? If I wanted the loving poo poo marinated, skinned, deboned or sliced, I'd do it myself because I'm not an incompetent son of a whore and all of those operations are so trivial they could be performed by a brain-damaged gibbon. When I can't find the cut I want because you've already hosed it up, it makes me very angry...

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

GORDON posted:

No I haven't. Would that work? It already sits in its packaging not leaking the juice out. It only comes out of the flesh when cooked, from what I have observed.

I think the answer would be "buy better meat." Tyson and poo poo injects the chickens with salt water... I bet a typical good butcher shop would not.

if it's sitting in open air and not in a sealed package full of chicken juice the outside will dry enough to sear, yes, that's what evaporation does. The main point of searing is to flash-cook the very outermost edge of the meat which'll keep the juice from 'cooking out' in the first place (mostly), but it doesn't work if that edge is saturated with cold water.

You could buy better meat too but I doubt that'll make as big a difference searing-wise as the packaging, that'll mostly be a flavor thing (or maybe you just like the idea of eating something that drank only artisinal springwater and had whalesong piped into the henhouse every day of its life). meats are not just 'naturally' dry enough to get a crisp sear without preparation no matter what conditions they were in before hitting the pan, and airtight plastic wrap is pretty much ideal for keeping stuff soggy

also get some wondra or fine searing flour which'll dessicate the surface further and provide a little bit extra crispness

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 7, 2016

mystes
May 31, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The main point of searing is to... keep the juice from 'cooking out' in the first place 
This is a myth.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mystes posted:

This is a myth.

True.

However searing does make for a very nice Maillard reaction and delicious crust.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

PT6A posted:

Chicken in curry barely tastes like anything at all. Why even bother eating meat if you can't taste it, especially if it's comparatively expensive like chicken breast?

Well, I did mention it, but because it's more or less the best source of lean protein available. That's pretty important in my household because of everyone's fitness goals. Also it might be because I live in a crappy state, but everything is cheap here and you can get about 3 pounds of fresh chicken breast with rib meat for around $8 on a lucky day. Normally they are reduced because their use-by date is in about 3 days, but you can get around that by cooking it all up into a bunch of big batch meals.

Honestly I don't find any meat to be that flavorful until you've seasoned it well anyway, and by after that pretty much anything is flavorful enough. I also prefer the softer, less chewy texture of the breast meat. YMMV I guess.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Well, I did mention it, but because it's more or less the best source of lean protein available. That's pretty important in my household because of everyone's fitness goals. Also it might be because I live in a crappy state, but everything is cheap here and you can get about 3 pounds of fresh chicken breast with rib meat for around $8 on a lucky day. Normally they are reduced because their use-by date is in about 3 days, but you can get around that by cooking it all up into a bunch of big batch meals.

Honestly I don't find any meat to be that flavorful until you've seasoned it well anyway, and by after that pretty much anything is flavorful enough. I also prefer the softer, less chewy texture of the breast meat. YMMV I guess.

I actually dislike the texture of chicken breast and never understood why some people preferred it. There's a tendency for it to get dry and grainy. Dark meat is much more succulent and moist, and has better flavor. If you want tender just cook it for a longer period of time at a low temperature. Heck I just did some deboned chicken leg roulades this weekend for Chinese New Year.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Honestly I don't find any meat to be that flavorful until you've seasoned it well anyway, and by after that pretty much anything is flavorful enough.
Lean animal protein all tastes very similar. (Is why lean critters like rabbit and snake and so forth are all reputed to taste like chicken.) Animals' fat is what makes them taste like themselves, which is why well-marbled steak is prized and lamb shoulder is so much funkier than, say, a lamb rib chop. Flavor is what you sacrifice for low-calorie protein, and it's fine if that's your deal. Just mentioning it as a point of trivia.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Isn't the chicken in a curry basically just a delivery device for the flavorsome sauce anyway? Seems it doesn't matter too much what it would taste like.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
My dad always uses thighs in his chicken curry and it works very well. They don't dry out and they both add to and take on the flavour of the curry.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Speaking of, what's a good nationally available brand of whole chicken that isn't loaded down with water? We like Costco's rotisserie chicken but I mean when I want to cook it myself. I like whole chickens cause you get a breast, two legs and thighs, two wings, and a nice backbone to make stock or a pan sauce with

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

DARPA Dad posted:

Speaking of, what's a good nationally available brand of whole chicken that isn't loaded down with water? We like Costco's rotisserie chicken but I mean when I want to cook it myself. I like whole chickens cause you get a breast, two legs and thighs, two wings, and a nice backbone to make stock or a pan sauce with

Don't they sell whole chickens at costco? I'm pretty sure those are the ones they cook.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Now I'm horrified enough not to use Teflon pans anymore. :gonk: I like cooking Asian fare as much as anyone else, but they need high heat, and I'm not willing to get Teflon chips in my food just because I set my electric burner to medium-high.

Then again, I don't understand how to properly set cooking temperatures anyway, so...

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Captain Bravo posted:

Quit being a pussy a just tough it out. I cook bacon in my cast-iron. Naked. :getin:

Do this long enough and your sexual endurance skyrockets. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pollyanna posted:

Now I'm horrified enough not to use Teflon pans anymore. :gonk: I like cooking Asian fare as much as anyone else, but they need high heat, and I'm not willing to get Teflon chips in my food just because I set my electric burner to medium-high.

Then again, I don't understand how to properly set cooking temperatures anyway, so...

Replace your electric hob with gas burners and all will become clear. Or get an induction hob, they're good too nowadays.

• Locked thread