Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I have a serious question for the people who were talking about their aversion to the texture of certain foods. Like that fellow talking about carrots being gross. I am not trying to make fun of you or bullshit anybody. Do you guys drink at all? Alcohol, I mean.

I have heard anecdotal evidence from people who were finicky eaters, didn't like things like bone-in meats, runny eggs, pickled fishes, stuff like that, that drinking and doing a lot of drugs helps you get over those things. As in, even if you stop drinking a lot and doing the drugs you're still over your problems with food finickyness.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

heroin is a gateway drug to button mushrooms

I was thinking more of weed, but heroin definitely makes you give less of a poo poo about things. I know it's a half-baked theory.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Yeah. My brother doesn't eat cheese (except on pizzas of course, because that doesn't count) or any beverages other than water because of a similar early-childhood illness.

Honestly it's quite good, especially the water thing, as he's kinda overweight already and doesn't need to drink any extra calories. His beliefs about what its like to be drunk are also pretty funny, in a way that would be ruined if he actually had a few beers.

I'm not trying to be annoying, but here's another picky eater who doesn't drink. I never got responses from this threads selective eaters, but I'm still wondering if the "doesn't drink = more likely to be choosy about food" hypothesis holds up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm pretty sure a lot of people got into coffee by starting with 'this is lovely gross water that warms me and helps me do work, and I'll swill it down to do those things', just like most people got into booze the exact same way except replace 'helps me do work' with 'helps me be fun'.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Honest advice: Starbucks is usually your best option for a place to poop if you're walking around an urban center. Walmart in the country, Starbucks in the city.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

At least in America, there used to be all kinds of non-foreign sounding names for foods. For instance, avocados used to be called "alligator pears" and pomegranates "Chinese apples".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Apparently it's originally a British term, and it's used in Dutch for oranges, so it's not strictly an American ting. (I've never heard of the term "Chinese apples" before this thread, so I wouldn't pin this one on the Americans.)

I am American, and I have definitely heard more than one older American person use the term.

• Locked thread