Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just looking at my savings and boat prices has got me pissed off again. This has got to be a slam dunk loan and yet no bank will even consider it! I could put close to 50% down at this point. The boat would be way more comfortable and roomy then this new place too. This has got me discouraged again. Equally BS is that when you read a lot of these houseboat blogs they all got loans during the crazy irresponsible banking years when they were loaning out money to anybody and those lucky and brave few have come out way ahead. I make a decent living, even if the whole boat sunk I could repay it fairly quickly.

Maybe I need to look into like lendingtree or those peer to peer banks.

Sounds like banks have higher standards for age and condition than you do when it comes to marine loans. I sometimes write boat loans and the age cap is 12 years, and we require a marine survey if it is older than a couple years and a large amount. That is for boats that often don't have their hull in the water all year round. Find a less lovely boat to buy and maybe you will have better luck. I am also guessing that most houseboat lenders are working primarily with dealers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ohgodwhat posted:

Lol at the idea you could pay it off quickly if it sank but can't pay for it now without a loan.

If it sank with him on it his life insurance could pay for it!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If he's sailing somewhere and he's conducting his business from the boat, it'll pay off triple!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Why does this thread keep getting dredged up to the top?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Hey OP, I'm thinking you need to give this a watch again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nW5g8tjazg

Minus the kinda attractive girl playing with her feces. Replaced with you. Playing with your feces.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Veskit posted:

OP has no concept of a sunk casa

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

loving loolll

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

Why does this thread keep getting dredged up to the top?

Because houseboats want to float?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

NancyPants posted:

Because houseboats want to float?

Counterpoint: http://www.all-about-houseboats.com/houseboat-sinking-problems-flooded-frozen-and-sunken-house-boat-hull.html

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I too seethe with rage when I think about BIG BANKS and how they keep the common man down by refusing to give out 10% interest loans for floating homes. Wake up sheeple!

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just looking at my savings and boat prices has got me pissed off again. This has got to be a slam dunk loan and yet no bank will even consider it! I could put close to 50% down at this point.
And at no point does the fact that, even with a 50% down payment, a bank doesn't consider a houseboat to be sufficiently valuable collateral to justify the risk set off any alarm bells for you? You're still confident this is a sound investment?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

You would have figured by now, he would have at least once accidentally gotten a mailer for like a 35k personal loan and just gotten this all done.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

That's been suggested, he refuses to pay the interest associated with such a loan.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Hmm, last I checked prosper was the princely sum of 5%? That is lower then any boat loan. They charge you extra for the loan to be secured by a boat because of the disposal costs.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
i love this thread

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elephanthead posted:

Hmm, last I checked prosper was the princely sum of 5%? That is lower then any boat loan. They charge you extra for the loan to be secured by a boat because of the disposal costs.

a houseboat has negative value as collateral for a loan

splendid

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Prosper loans start at 5.99%, but I'll bet that's for like a $1000-$3000 loan if you have good credit. I doubt there's anywhere that actually gives 5% loans on $35k unsecured loans.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've been looking into it some more and apparently some places treat a boat loan like an RV or ATV loan. Which means yes slightly higher APR but usually for a way longer term that I could pay off super early, and less annoying paperwork since it wouldnt be like a home loan. I just list it as a recreational vehicle and then sleep soundly atop a boat home of savings.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I have learned literally nothing from stubbornly engaging in paperwork with duplicitous intent.

posts from detestable slum apartment

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've been looking into it some more and apparently some places treat a boat loan like an RV or ATV loan. Which means yes slightly higher APR but usually for a way longer term that I could pay off super early, and less annoying paperwork since it wouldnt be like a home loan. I just list it as a recreational vehicle and then sleep soundly atop a boat home of savings.

The dream lives

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

BaseballPCHiker posted:

yessssssss

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I am the ghost of insurance past, present and future.

Yoooooouuuuu aaaaaaaarrreeee an idioooooooooooot :iiam:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I just list it as a recreational vehicle and then sleep soundly atop a boat home of savings.

Well, I'll have certainly gotten enough entertainment out of your boat for me to list it as recreational.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Or better yet buy two and rent one out. It'll pay for itself!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Prosper will loan you (If you have similar income and credit score as me) 35k at 5.99%. There are at least 3 other peer to peer sites that will do the same. That is 100k for your boat home trailer park investment. Do it. Why do you not want to become the Donald Trump of house boats? You can import a wife from Canada.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Prosper will loan you (If you have similar income and credit score as me) 35k at 5.99%. There are at least 3 other peer to peer sites that will do the same. That is 100k for your boat home trailer park investment. Do it. Why do you not want to become the Donald Trump of house boats? You can import a wife from Canada.

If what you are saying is true about prosper this could be a game changer. Do you have to list what you want the money for or could I get that rate on a personal loan. If I got one for 35K I could get a hell of a boat and put in some major improvements. Just as the weather starts to turn. Ooooohhhhhhh mannnn this could be the big one.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If what you are saying is true about prosper this could be a game changer. Do you have to list what you want the money for or could I get that rate on a personal loan. If I got one for 35K I could get a hell of a boat and put in some major improvements. Just as the weather starts to turn. Ooooohhhhhhh mannnn this could be the big one.

If you can pull that off, it's even better because in a bankruptcy, the loans aren't secured by the property, so you can presumably keep the boat even in a recourse state.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

What's stopping you from just listing something else even if they do want a list

It's not like they're gonna swim out to check

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If I got one for 35K I could get a hell of a boat and put in some major improvements...

Two words:

Groverhaus Boat.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Krispy Kareem posted:

Two words:

Groverhaus Boat.

Das Groverboot

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

this could be a game changer.

This sentence alone excites me. The possibilities of your future endeavors.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

$35k budget balloons to $35 trillion and it sinks on contact with water.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Chemlasers must be down to a reasonable price point these days.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Just get a boatload of credit cards, why is this so hard

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Just get a boatload of credit cards, why is this so hard

Because one of the main reasons to do this is to save money. If I go and buy a boat with a bunch of credit cards at 20% APR it doesnt make a bit of financial sense. As it stands right now I'm waiting for this Friday to get my credit card reimbursment from work and then I'm going to apply to places like Prosper and see what kind of terms I can get.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Time to make some waves

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Can you use that 401k tax credit to buy a houseboat, or is it only for land locked items only? that could be another 10k tax free if it's a possibility

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dude its almost spring wheres the house boat

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Why haven't you tried renting? I know you're not big on good ideas, just forget why you haven't tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

dude its almost spring wheres the house boat

Ice is off the lakes and everything! We could be pulling up catfish and crappies from your living room, OP! Pleeeease get this poo poo sorted because i want all these smug landlubbers to eat their words!

• Locked thread