Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

What kind of permits do you need to live on a boat?

Do you have a permit to live in your house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

detectivemonkey posted:

None. If anyone questions you then you can just take them on your cool boat and they'll come around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_49P1RtqU0

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

What kind of permits do you need to live on a boat?

None, but to keep the boat moored at a marina with parking and utilities etc. you need to pay them a fee and provide them with documentation that the boat has been inspected and isn't going to sink and/or explode, proof of insurance, etc.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

This is exactly what I have been think about with the girlfriend posts.

OP, how much work does this boat need? Do you know what it will cost? Are you planning to live in a half-renovated boat over the winter because it seems like you might die if you do that.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

detectivemonkey posted:

This is exactly what I have been think about with the girlfriend posts.

OP, how much work does this boat need? Do you know what it will cost? Are you planning to live in a half-renovated boat over the winter because it seems like you might die if you do that.

Ha, I forgot about that IASIP bit. No there is no "implication". I just think that in her head she is picturing like a lovely pontoon boat not a full houseboat thats like a cabin on the water.

Structurally the boat I am looking at is very sound and in good shape. The interior has been stripped to bare floor and studs at this point but has all the appliances, generator, plumbing, fixtures, etc intact. One cool thing about this boat is that it has a washer/dryer included with it! Although as a rule I almost never use the clothes dryer because they use so much energy and wear out clothes faster. Still a nice thing to have on board.

In it's current stat I could put in spray foam insulation and just not put up the interior walls until this spring. Right now you could live on it. The marina has these wall coverings that look like windshield shades or the inside of a pizza delivery bag that go on the boat walls for winter to help keep you warm. That plus the boat being shrink wrapped and the on board heat ought to keep me going just fine.

The boat uses some lovely electrical space heaters so I'd want to get my onboard furnace built before moving in full time for the winter, I could make it without but if the electric heat went out I'd have no backup, which is a scenario unlikely as it is that I want to avoid.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Structurally the boat I am looking at is very sound and in good shape. The interior has been stripped to bare floor and studs at this point but has all the appliances, generator, plumbing, fixtures, etc intact. One cool thing about this boat is that it has a washer/dryer included with it! Although as a rule I almost never use the clothes dryer because they use so much energy and wear out clothes faster. Still a nice thing to have on board.

Given that you almost completely lack the ability to think ahead properly, being concerned about energy used by a dryer is the most random thing to actually think ahead on.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Were you actually planning on air-drying clothes on a boat in Minnesota in the winter? :psyduck:

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Have any pictures of this current boat?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Have any pictures of this current boat?
Yeah this thread can only survive for so long without boat pictures.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Why don't you rent?

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Last summer I lived on a house boat.... For four nights. My friends got a big group together and we rented this . I did nothing but drink and swim for a few days, it was a lot of fun.

I can see the appeal, you should go for it OP, but get one with a hot tub.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Yeah, definitely need some visual references here

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Also maintaining a boat is brutally expensive. Boats are such babies.

This is the honest truth right here.

I've seen this (the OP's) story played out several times over. It seldom ends well. Anyone I've met who decided to live on a boat year round underestimated the costs.

And don't be so sure of yourself re: flipping the boat when things go pear shaped. You're likely to be saddled with a big loving liability. The whole BC coast is littered with abandoned boats. I'm willing to bet a fair few of them were the result of people getting in way over their head, thinking they were in for cheap living, and not being able to pay for upkeep.

You mentioned being ok with car mechanics. How good are you with troubleshooting electrical problems?
Show me a boat without intermittent electrical issues and I'll show you a canoe.

But please do keep us updated.

As an aside: I find it strange that you'd have trouble getting a steel hull insured, considering steel is the #1 choice of material for ship construction. I've got no experience with insuring a boat because I know better than to buy a boat.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

B33rChiller posted:

As an aside: I find it strange that you'd have trouble getting a steel hull insured, considering steel is the #1 choice of material for ship construction. I've got no experience with insuring a boat because I know better than to buy a boat.

I don't know poo poo about boats, but commercial vessels are going to be much better maintained than a 40 year old houseboat that's constantly stationary.

Cool thread. I think it would be a rad idea if you were buying a boat with cash, but since you're not I think it's a pretty crap idea. Are your finances strong enough that if you're stuck pitching $1500/mo at it you'll be ok?

I too think an RV is a far better idea as an alternate living arrangement. Or you know, just a boring ol' apartment.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Double post: Here are boat threads from AI and DIY, you'll likely get much more experienced people telling you not to do it there

AI:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682371

DIY:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503087

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The marina has these wall coverings that look like windshield shades or the inside of a pizza delivery bag that go on the boat walls for winter to help keep you warm.

Dang living in a floating pizza delivery bag during the winter sounds cool as heck, kinda jealous now OP.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Potential boat:
*Removed pictures due to jangled nerves*
Note that these are old pictures. The floors are bare now and the walls are down to the studs so that it can be insulated. I called a few marinas and got quotes on dock fees in winter for a 50 foot boat. They ranged from $295-325 a month which isnt to bad. Also I'm waiting to hear back on more insurance quotes but they are WAY cheaper than I thought. Liability can be had for as little as $350 a year. I'm looking to see if I could get a quote on steel boat just to see but I'm not holding my breath. With insurance being as cheap as it is it pushes the equation even more favorably towards living on the boat.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 5, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I think we forgot that food costs are going to go down because of the sheer amount of fish he's going to eat. Maybe even some crayfish depending on the lake.

How much are you planning on fishing and eating from the lake?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Veskit posted:

I think we forgot that food costs are going to go down because of the sheer amount of fish he's going to eat. Maybe even some crayfish depending on the lake.

How much are you planning on fishing and eating from the lake?

For the last time people I'll be in a river not lakebound! That way I have way more traveling opportunities.

I do like to fish but marina fish can't be that healthy to eat. I imagine the dog will catch a few wayward birds or squirrels that will be added to the stew pot.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Living on a boat is a great idea if you are a hobo, a really rich guy, or a barnacle.

Please buy your girlfriend an account so we can hear the aftermath when you and the dog freeze to death on the boat.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

For the last time people I'll be in a river not lakebound! That way I have way more traveling opportunities.

I do like to fish but marina fish can't be that healthy to eat. I imagine the dog will catch a few wayward birds or squirrels that will be added to the stew pot.

Catch some catfish then dude catfish eat off the bottom and are immune to all that poo poo. Plus it's not like these fish live in the marina they're just visiting.

Who hasn't caught dock fish before :wtc:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'll admit, that boat looks pretty cool. Except it's Minnesota.

Does your dog get anxious easily? Because if she isn't crated and you're gone all day I can see that entire interior getting shredded.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Didn't you say you didn't want a studio? That thing looks smaller than a studio....

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Also I'm waiting to hear back on more insurance quotes but they are WAY cheaper than I thought. Liability can be had for as little as $350 a year. I'm looking to see if I could get a quote on steel boat just to see but I'm not holding my breath. With insurance being as cheap as it is it pushes the equation even more favorably towards living on the boat.

Presumably liability insurance will only cover the damage your boat does to nearby boats when it catches fire? Do you need to also buy more insurance to recoup the cost of your "investment" when it burns/sinks/falls apart?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Didn't you say you didn't want a studio? That thing looks smaller than a studio....

This is exactly what I was thinking. That's a little place by any standard.

edit: it seems there are more pictures that show it better than the ones he included in the post. Looks like it has two levels, and the bottom level looks like it has a couple rooms. Top room has the controls and a room.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 4, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I see there's a kitchen area but what exactly do you cook on?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Saint Fu posted:

This thread as the potential to be amazing. Keep up the good work!
lol, yes!

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Way smaller...

Veskit posted:

I see there's a kitchen area but what exactly do you cook on?
It has a microwave!!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm a little leery about releasing to much more information than I already have. That coupled with the fact that I am probably a ways out from moving onto the boat, means I will be closing the thread for now. When I get the boat and have more solid numbers and costs to post I will re-open the thread. As it is I dont want any outside interference on any potential deals. The twin cities house boat market is small and I'd hate to have a deal fall through because of some annoying goon out to mess with me.

So in conclusion. Frugal Floating: - Totally and completely doable, much cheaper than renting, and you get to live on a boat. More like Frugal Gloating! Am I right fellas?!?

I will provide an update as soon as there are any big developments.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
That's a dumb reason to close a thread! Don't close it again. If you don't want people to know stuff, just don't post it on the internet - very easy.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
So the bank won't finance the purchase of a used houseboat (what a surprise!), but they will give you a personal loan in the amount you need to buy a boat? That seems odd.

What's the term on the personal loan?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If you don't want people interfering with the sale, don't post pictures of the boat you're currently negotiating. That should be common sense. You can always link to non-specific images for visual reference. Or other ads.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

slap me silly posted:

That's a dumb reason to close a thread! Don't close it again. If you don't want people to know stuff, just don't post it on the internet - very easy.

It is a bullshit reason. I thought I'd let this thread brew only to find it closed.

Above everything else I've lived in a lot of cold lovely buildings. It can have a seriously detrimental affect on your health. Heating and insulation are a top priority. Next is fire safety because it's bad enough burning your house down but fire on a boat is far worse as fire doesn't take long to badly damage an aluminium hull.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

slap me silly posted:

OK, fair enough I suppose. I just got a bit unnerved when NailRat knew exactly what boat I was looking at.

Nitrox posted:

If you don't want people interfering with the sale, don't post pictures of the boat you're currently negotiating. That should be common sense. You can always link to non-specific images for visual reference. Or other ads.

Agreed. Will post only stock images from here on out.

Devian666 posted:

It is a bullshit reason. I thought I'd let this thread brew only to find it closed.

Above everything else I've lived in a lot of cold lovely buildings. It can have a seriously detrimental affect on your health. Heating and insulation are a top priority. Next is fire safety because it's bad enough burning your house down but fire on a boat is far worse as fire doesn't take long to badly damage an aluminium hull.

I really dont get all the fears about fires burning down my boat. People do this year in year out without any issues. It's not like I'll be running gas fire lamps with cattle on board.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm a little leery about releasing to much more information than I already have. That coupled with the fact that I am probably a ways out from moving onto the boat, means I will be closing the thread for now. When I get the boat and have more solid numbers and costs to post I will re-open the thread. As it is I dont want any outside interference on any potential deals. The twin cities house boat market is small and I'd hate to have a deal fall through because of some annoying goon out to mess with me.

So in conclusion. Frugal Floating: - Totally and completely doable, much cheaper than renting, and you get to live on a boat. More like Frugal Gloating! Am I right fellas?!?

I will provide an update as soon as there are any big developments.

You seem to be ignoring the issues people are bringing up because it conflicts with your awesome boat lifestyle dreams. If you want to live on a boat then whatever, but quit claiming that it's cheaper when you admittedly have no idea how much everything will cost, and ignore things like repair costs.

How many square feet of living space does that have anyway?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Inept posted:

You seem to be ignoring the issues people are bringing up because it conflicts with your awesome boat lifestyle dreams. If you want to live on a boat then whatever, but quit claiming that it's cheaper when you admittedly have no idea how much everything will cost, and ignore things like repair costs.

How many square feet of living space does that have anyway?

I dont think I'm ignoring them, I just think people are FAR overstating the risk and dangers of this. At worst I'm out some money, potentially. And I do honestly believe it will be cheaper so long as I do my homework on the boat before I buy it. Every time I've looked into an expense its been considerably less than what I thought it would be. Boat payments, propane, insurance, etc were all WAY under what I thought they would be. There is a reason the marina worker said that bums do this, and that is because its cheap.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

There is a reason the marina worker said that bums do this, and that is because its cheap.

Bums, of course, being renowned for their financial sense and ability to plan ahead.

Seriously though, this is my favourite thread. It only mildly reminds me of Chris McCandless. But just think, OP. If you do this, you'll have proved a lot of naysayers wrong. Goonspeed.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

OK, fair enough I suppose. I just got a bit unnerved when NailRat knew exactly what boat I was looking at.

Um, dude you know this is a thing right? Serious right clicking internet detectivery ITT.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dogcow posted:

Um, dude you know this is a thing right? Serious right clicking internet detectivery ITT.

I do know thats a thing, which is why I took screen shots of the pictures and uploaded them to imgur. I thought that would help but apparently not.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I do know thats a thing, which is why I took screen shots of the pictures and uploaded them to imgur. I thought that would help but apparently not.

Ah yeah it searches the image data itself with crazy rear end machine learning poo poo, it's not searching filenames/URLs/EXIF data or anything like that. You can buy a lot of PHDs when you make $1B/month in profit.

Being from WI, I have to say the houseboat in winter is pretty :lol: as winter here sucks enough ballsack as it is. I went to college an hour east of the cities and some group had a fund raiser where you had to put a guess in a lottery for when a wrecked car they put out on the ice of the lake would fall through, maybe we can do the same for your houseboat! :v:

(just kidding don't die)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dogcow posted:

Ah yeah it searches the image data itself with crazy rear end machine learning poo poo, it's not searching filenames/URLs/EXIF data or anything like that. You can buy a lot of PHDs when you make $1B/month in profit.

Being from WI, I have to say the houseboat in winter is pretty :lol: as winter here sucks enough ballsack as it is. I went to college an hour east of the cities and some group had a fund raiser where you had to put a guess in a lottery for when a wrecked car they put out on the ice of the lake would fall through, maybe we can do the same for your houseboat! :v:

(just kidding don't die)

Oh poo poo! Thanks for the gis tip. I knew that it would change the file name and I thought I read somewhere that anything uploaded to imgur had the EXIF data removed. Still now I know I guess. NailRat I dont think you were being malicious at all it just put me on edge a bit, no hard feelings.

The winters here in the Twin Cities aren't as bad or as long as western Alaska's so I'm sure I'll do fine. Although the cabin I lived in had 12 insulated walls and a woodstove going for it. When I was talking to an owner about heat and insulation in the winter and they mentioned having the boat wrapped they said that the heat actually turns off sometimes. On a clear day with the sun hitting the boat they heat up a lot in the day. Of course at night it'll get cold again but thats what the heaters and dog are for.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 5, 2015

• Locked thread