Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sorry I didnt get a chance to do the promised update on the weekend. Not a whole lot of progress was made on the boat front unfortunately. I did get some more ballpark insurance quotes back but that was about it. Financing is still going to be the difficult part it seems like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Why buy a boat when you could save even more money by building your own!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SarutosZero posted:

Why buy a boat when you could save even more money by building your own!

I'm not nearly handy enough to build one from scratch. A canoe maybe, but not a boat.

My various side gigs have gotten big enough that I need to sit down with the bank and open a business checking account. I've been told by others that one of the ways they got insurance on steel hulled boats is through their business policies. I'm hopeful that maybe if I open a business checking account with my bank they will be more willing to give me a boat loan. Lots of tax and account headaches I have to sort out in the meantime.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's already getting chilly in the South. What kind of window do you have to purchase and prepare this boat before it's too cold to easily winterize it? You can't do any work after you wrap it and you can't wrap a half gutted vessel.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Move to the coast, build your own houseboat and run your business out of international waters. No more taxes!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's already getting chilly in the South. What kind of window do you have to purchase and prepare this boat before it's too cold to easily winterize it? You can't do any work after you wrap it and you can't wrap a half gutted vessel.

You can do interior work to it while its wrapped. You can still walk around on the outside deck for example and they cut a hole with a sealed flap to get in and out of it. So I could do plenty of work on the inside. Thing is I'm having a hard time getting financing right now so I'm not sure of my timeline at this point.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
What's your credit score?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Veskit posted:

What's your credit score?

Last I checked 720. No negatives listed but the age of my accounts was young which hurts and I usually have a balance when credit karma does it score checking. I DO pay off my card every two weeks but I use it a lot for work and get reimbursed later so it shows I have a rolling balance. I asked in the credit card thread for some recommendations and I'll probably get another one to try and help my utilization.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
more like 720 kickflip into freezing to death

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Last I checked 720. No negatives listed but the age of my accounts was young which hurts and I usually have a balance when credit karma does it score checking. I DO pay off my card every two weeks but I use it a lot for work and get reimbursed later so it shows I have a rolling balance. I asked in the credit card thread for some recommendations and I'll probably get another one to try and help my utilization.

I'm confused at this point why you can't just save up the money to get a loan easier, or just save up the money and buy the boat outright? If credit is a problem it's saying something more than you need to video game your score up to get a boat.

If you had half the downpayment it'd be easier to get the loan right?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
BFC is full of fun hating wet blankets and yet we wonder why we rarely get good threads.

OP: You are awesome. The haters are just jealous. Rock on. Don't use your Roth as an emergency fund though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

MrKatharsis posted:

BFC is full of fun hating wet blankets and yet we wonder why we rarely get good threads.

OP: You are awesome. The haters are just jealous. Rock on. Don't use your Roth as an emergency fund though.
Living on a boat seems pretty cool to me, I ain't hating. I just wouldn't do it in a place with winter. Alienate your girlfriend before (as opposed to via) moving onto the boat seems like a good idea. That way you can sever all ties to your landlubbing past and go to the caribbean instead.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
OP you should buy a skoolie instead. You say you're not too handy, otherwise I'd suggest you get a used bus and DIY, but it will be much warmer, easier to get around, cheaper to maintain, and your girlfriend will probably be more accepting of it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The Groper posted:

OP you should buy a skoolie instead. You say you're not too handy, otherwise I'd suggest you get a used bus and DIY, but it will be much warmer, easier to get around, cheaper to maintain, and your girlfriend will probably be more accepting of it.

Then he can accurately cosplay Garey Busey in Black Sheep :v:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Nail Rat posted:

Move to the coast, build your own houseboat and run your business out of international waters. No more taxes!

Start recruiting others to work on your houseboat. Deploy them to warzones. Use the spoils to expand motherboat.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just want to point out that the ops window for executing this winter is closing pretty fast. We're already looking at 32F highs in South Dakota this weekend which means same goes for the op. Only going to get colder from here!

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

flyboi posted:

Just want to point out that the ops window for executing this winter is closing pretty fast. We're already looking at 32F highs in South Dakota this weekend which means same goes for the op. Only going to get colder from here!

Actually its better when the lake is frozen over. He can walk away from the boat when it starts to sink in the middle of the night. Better than swimming away, rite?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

There is a distinct lack of boat buyin' in this thread, and that really grinds my gears.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

There is a distinct lack of boat buyin' in this thread, and that really grinds my gears.

Well than I guess I should provide an "update". I haven't gotten anywhere with these drat bankers and insurers. At one point I thought I had a fixer upper steel hulled boat lined up. But I couldn't get insurance. AT ALL. I thought I had a chance getting insurance on it through my small business as a business policy but they turned it down after questioning me on my boating experience and skills, despite me telling them a million times that it would be just docked at the marina %90 of the time.

Then I had another guy that I thought would work out a private lending deal who got cold feet and backed out after I couldn't insurance on an awesome, and in amazingly great shape, steel boat.

At this point I'm not sure what my options are. I have a bonus coming my way in April that should be around $6K or so after taxes. I could combine that and perhaps get better terms on a personal loan and just buy a boat outright like that. This whole thing has really soured me on bankers though. If I just wanted to buy a stupid expensive car or speed boat I'd be speeding away in my overpriced vehicle already. I've considered one of those online lending clubs and that might be my next step. In the meantime I plan to just keep looking and making calls and sending emails. Sooner or later I'll catch a break.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Sooner or later I'll catch a break.
You might not appreciate it now, but I think you caught a break already. You (presumably) still have your money and your girlfriend, even though you tried your darnedest.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I bought a 54k bmw at 2.9% apr so perhaps you should shift to car living over boat living for the return? Just an idea

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Compare the luxury interior of your BWM BMW to that of, say, a boat.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I thought I had a chance getting insurance on it through my small business as a business policy but they turned it down after questioning me on my boating experience and skills, despite me telling them a million times that it would be just docked at the marina %90 of the time.

It's a rare moment where somebody manages to turn on the in game tutorial hints for real life. Yet they always ignore them.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I couldn't get insurance. AT ALL.
Cheer up. I'll sure you'll find some other way to waste money while living like a hobo. Maybe you could rent one of those bouncy castles and live in that all winter?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SpelledBackwards posted:

The benefit is I won't die of frostbite in the winter and my cat has a comfy heated blanket to judge me on... Makes you think

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

MrKatharsis posted:

If OP wants to do this, I say go ahead. This sounds like it could be an awesome thing to try and I'm sure a lot of great stories would come out of such a lifestyle, but sit here and pretend this is a good move from a financial point of view.

OP have you gone to this thread and asked about insurance: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488763 ?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Those daggum bankers and inshurers!

Ah need mah boat

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This whole thing has really soured me on bankers though. If I just wanted to buy a stupid expensive car or speed boat I'd be speeding away in my overpriced vehicle already.

How hard do you think it is to repossess a houseboat? How hard is it to sell a houseboat after you repossessed it? I would guess that houseboat loans really are not any better than unsecured loans from the bank's perspective.

Also, did you ask any of the owners how long they have had their houseboats on the market?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

CellarDweller posted:

How hard do you think it is to repossess a houseboat? How hard is it to sell a houseboat after you repossessed it? I would guess that houseboat loans really are not any better than unsecured loans from the bank's perspective.

Also, did you ask any of the owners how long they have had their houseboats on the market?

If you tie your boat up just far enough away from the dock that they can't jump to it then the repossessers can never get you!

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Do you really see absolutely no reason for someone to not want to insure a boat for a person who does not know how to use it?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Giraffe posted:

Cheer up. I'll sure you'll find some other way to waste money while living like a hobo. Maybe you could rent one of those bouncy castles and live in that all winter?

Skip the boat, just take out a loan and convert it into bundles of $1 bills to build a fort out of. Moneyhouse!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

Yeah because you can totally kick back and enjoy the sweet cabin life in a BMW.

Giraffe posted:

This isnt a plan to waste money. At every turn the projections have been cheaper than initially thought. I'd be saving about $400 a month easy if I can land the right boat.

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

If OP wants to do this, I say go ahead. This sounds like it could be an awesome thing to try and I'm sure a lot of great stories would come out of such a lifestyle, but sit here and pretend this is a good move from a financial point of view.

OP have you gone to this thread and asked about insurance: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488763 ?

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

detectivemonkey posted:

Do you really see absolutely no reason for someone to not want to insure a boat for a person who does not know how to use it?

Not when it'll be a houseboat docked to a marina %90 of the time. It's basically a cheap floating house. The value is low enough that it should be a no brainer to insure. Unfortunately so many old steel hulled boats rusted from the inside out that they are pretty much impossible to insure at this point. I will keep looking and hopefully find something soon.

As I mentioned before I have a big bonus coming in April that I had earmarked for savings and vacation. I can use that and probably have enough for a cheap boat or half a good one. I'm also going to apply for a new credit card and try to boost my score, hoping that can get me a more viable interest rate on a personal loan if it comes down to it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Wile E Coyote, with a puzzled expression, stands directly under the precariously balanced boulder, wondering why the tripwire didn't cause it to fall. With a look of grim determination on his face, he picks up the long wooden pole and begins to poke at it.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Not when it'll be a houseboat docked to a marina %90 of the time. It's basically a cheap floating house.

what about the other 10%

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!
Maybe take some of that vacation money and use it to rent a houseboat to take down the Mississippi?

That way if it's something you don't want to do a second time you are not stuck with a houseboat and maybe someone will insure you once you are a large risk instead of a massive one.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Will you still go through with this plan if you can't get insured?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm also going to apply for a new credit card and try to boost my score, hoping that can get me a more viable interest rate on a personal loan if it comes down to it.
FYI this may result in an additional recent inquiry on your credit report, so depending on how many inquiries you've had in the last 2 years, it could actually hurt your score.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Veskit posted:

Will you still go through with this plan if you can't get insured?

I dont see how I can really, no marina will let you winter over without insurance. That means that all of the good steel hull boats I looked at are probably out unless by some miracle I am able to get one insured.

Saint Fu posted:

FYI this may result in an additional recent inquiry on your credit report, so depending on how many inquiries you've had in the last 2 years, it could actually hurt your score.

Not to many. According to Credit Karma my utilization rate and low number of accounts are what is hurting me. And yes I pay off my balance every month, I get reimbursed for work and pay it off but I have a $3K limit and am usually at about $1500 running balance so it shows a high utilization.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I dont see how I can really, no marina will let you winter over without insurance. That means that all of the good steel hull boats I looked at are probably out unless by some miracle I am able to get one insured.

So what is the plan to get an insured boat? You're really focused on credit but it sounds like the insurance issue is much bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
OP: do you have a state issued boater safety card yet?

• Locked thread