Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

BloodBag posted:

OP should make a boat-shaped restaurant that only sells coffee at weddings..on a horse property. Truck equity is the only form of payment accepted. I think I got all the BFC bases covered there.

Is there an Uber for horses? Imma lease a horse out-of-state to ride for Horse Uber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The way it was explained to me is that it's not lying if I do use it for a business purpose. So if for example I do some "offsite" backups I could justify owning the boat as a business expense for that. I could also claim it as an office and not take the home office deduction. This was a real CPA not some backwater dock accountant either who I met with.

Ok I think even my .003% knowledge of accounting is useless here, but IIRC even if you did put a server farm on your floating deathtrap, the only claimable business expenses from the server farm would be for the fraction of the boat/utilities etc that the farm takes up. So say your server farm took up 5% of the space on your boat, you would be able to count 5% of the applicable expenses as "business expenses". You can only deduct the electricity the servers used, not all your power, only the additional air filtration+ciculation, etc.

Honestly just loving lol at your ludicrously retarded plan

"Don't worry valued clients, even after the freak April storm I have offsite backups!"
"Great! When can you get them to us?!"
*Goes to oily patch of water where his boat used to be*
"Umm ok there were some issues with the offsite backups"
"Why? Where were our valuable data, which we specifically paid you to store securely, stored?"
"In a poorly made plywood cabinet on my under-insured and unmaintained houseboat!"

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Also I think I am still wildly overestimating my costs. This is the result I get from the discoverboating calculator. I probably wouldnt even get a boat that expensive:

Thats half what my rent is! Even counting marina fees and maintenance I'm still a couple hundred a month ahead.

:five:

Sure buddy! Half your rent on a non-resellable depreciating thing with inadequate insurance! It won't need expensive maintenance, you just paid all that money for it! It's ok though, it's easy and simple to do maintenance on houseboats, and yeah true even though you have no clue how to do it yourself surely you won't overpay for simple poo poo, not be able to afford expensive stuff and then not do it, leading to an already rapidly-depreciating piece of property dropping value like... like... a sinking boat

Ok.

Ok.

Ok.

100% serious, why not just buy a nicer conversion van, find someone to let you park it on their land, and live in that? It'd cost a fraction of your current plan, wouldn't need crazy plastic wrap, and you could drive it or have it towed to a mechanic for free or for like 100$ even if it was out of commission. Insurance is totally gettable and hell you might even find a lender willing to touch it, since they know at the very least they can always repo the thing. Sure it won't have a shower, that's what your gym membership is for.

Why not just keep your eyes open for cheaper rent? Get a roommate? Move in with your girlfriend? Rent a smaller place? Sleep in your vehicle and shower at the gym? Find a vacant building and squat in it? Get a better job and earn more money, thus reducing the portion of your income spent on rent? Buy a lovely old RV and find a "long-term" campground? I've seen singlewide trailers all over the country in livable shape for less than 5k. Why not get one of those and live in a trailer park? You could ask around your circle of friends and see if anyone needs a roommate. Have you looked at the roommate needed section of your local CL?

Can you move back in with your folks? I'm just trying to propose basically anything less ruinous than your current cockamamie plan.

E: Does your city have any city-owned properties it's selling off? Some cities have their own "Urban Homesteading" programs where you can buy a home for a dollar. Have you looked in to that?

Maybe you could join a cult and live in their compound? Join/start a commune (start easy with a group house)?

poo poo, just stop paying your current rent and fight eviction as long as possible. I've heard it can take months and you'd get all that rent for free! Then find a sucker to rent from and do it again! Sure it's stealing, but hey at worst you'd only be liable for what you would have paid anyways! (plus possibly court fees, plus anything the judge thinks you should pay if you piss them off)

You could try adverse possession! Find an empty building and tell everyone you own it!

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 14, 2016

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

BloodBag posted:

I have an idea. You need to go find a marina you want to live at and scout out the boats that never get visited. I spent a lot of time at marinas with my folks because my Dad was also boat-tarded. You'd always see a few lovely hulks sitting there, rotting away, that clearly never get visited or checked on. Scout one of these out and then just...take it. Then you can live life on the high seas, avoiding those blasted redcoats, drinking rainwater, eating salt pork, and trading fish for limes to fight the dreaded scurvy. Pay the iron price :black101:

Not even close to the worst idea in the thread

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

6 month lease, by fall boat prices should be down again and I'll have some more money saved up.

On that same note, now is the time to buy in- Pumpkin stocks are going to climb and climb till Halloween. Then sell right before that and reap the profits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm making a bad joke, I don't give one flying gently caress about how I would ever contact some corporation over their preferred social media channel.

I love Interacting With Brands

• Locked thread