Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

B33rChiller posted:

As an aside: I find it strange that you'd have trouble getting a steel hull insured, considering steel is the #1 choice of material for ship construction. I've got no experience with insuring a boat because I know better than to buy a boat.

I don't know poo poo about boats, but commercial vessels are going to be much better maintained than a 40 year old houseboat that's constantly stationary.

Cool thread. I think it would be a rad idea if you were buying a boat with cash, but since you're not I think it's a pretty crap idea. Are your finances strong enough that if you're stuck pitching $1500/mo at it you'll be ok?

I too think an RV is a far better idea as an alternate living arrangement. Or you know, just a boring ol' apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Double post: Here are boat threads from AI and DIY, you'll likely get much more experienced people telling you not to do it there

AI:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682371

DIY:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503087

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I haven't seen you post in any of the boating threads that I linked to on the forum yet.

Nor have you responded to the ~$800 wrap every year at least doubling your assumption of monthly heating costs.

• Locked thread