Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

slap me silly posted:

That's a dumb reason to close a thread! Don't close it again. If you don't want people to know stuff, just don't post it on the internet - very easy.

It is a bullshit reason. I thought I'd let this thread brew only to find it closed.

Above everything else I've lived in a lot of cold lovely buildings. It can have a seriously detrimental affect on your health. Heating and insulation are a top priority. Next is fire safety because it's bad enough burning your house down but fire on a boat is far worse as fire doesn't take long to badly damage an aluminium hull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

Again, what are you supposed to cook on in that thing?

Just fry up dog roll. Makes shopping simple, doubles as food for the dog and you get the true retirement living experience.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Christmas is great for BWM. I flew to see the family. I find out that my sister decided to move out of a rented place and into a caravan. So the family and two kids are living in this tiny space to "save money". It turns out that the total expenses aren't really any different from renting an actual house. So they are moving away from their trailer park lifestyle to rent again and have actual rooms and space. The BWM part, they bought the caravan and lived in it for 11 weeks. So they are paying rent and the equivalent of $900+ per week for the time they've spent living in it. Man they saved some money doing that. :shepface:

I wish they would discuss these ideas with someone first as they only seem to learn a lesson by finding out the hard way.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
One of the best tax write offs you can get is to grow a forest. Years of expenses and you only pay tax once you harvest the trees. So grow a forest on the houseboat, no one would see the server farm for the trees.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'm sure a saw a floating brothel on a episode of Pimp My Boat.
http://imgur.com/izzhK7N

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

detectivemonkey posted:

On the other hand, putting a server farm on his boat would lower his heating costs... possibly keep him from freezing to death in his deathtrapboat.

By server farm he means bitcoin mining rigs with faulty power supplies that will set the boat on fire.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Uncle Enzo posted:

:five:

100% serious, why not just buy a nicer conversion van, find someone to let you park it on their land, and live in that? It'd cost a fraction of your current plan, wouldn't need crazy plastic wrap, and you could drive it or have it towed to a mechanic for free or for like 100$ even if it was out of commission. Insurance is totally gettable and hell you might even find a lender willing to touch it, since they know at the very least they can always repo the thing. Sure it won't have a shower, that's what your gym membership is for.

Why not just keep your eyes open for cheaper rent? Get a roommate? Move in with your girlfriend? Rent a smaller place? Sleep in your vehicle and shower at the gym? Find a vacant building and squat in it? Get a better job and earn more money, thus reducing the portion of your income spent on rent? Buy a lovely old RV and find a "long-term" campground? I've seen singlewide trailers all over the country in livable shape for less than 5k. Why not get one of those and live in a trailer park? You could ask around your circle of friends and see if anyone needs a roommate. Have you looked at the roommate needed section of your local CL?

Can you move back in with your folks? I'm just trying to propose basically anything less ruinous than your current cockamamie plan.

E: Does your city have any city-owned properties it's selling off? Some cities have their own "Urban Homesteading" programs where you can buy a home for a dollar. Have you looked in to that?

Maybe you could join a cult and live in their compound? Join/start a commune (start easy with a group house)?

poo poo, just stop paying your current rent and fight eviction as long as possible. I've heard it can take months and you'd get all that rent for free! Then find a sucker to rent from and do it again! Sure it's stealing, but hey at worst you'd only be liable for what you would have paid anyways! (plus possibly court fees, plus anything the judge thinks you should pay if you piss them off)

You could try adverse possession! Find an empty building and tell everyone you own it!

You're missing the point. THIS IS A BOAT FOR BUSINESS PURPOSES! It worked for Captain Stabbin' so why not a goon?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

NancyPants posted:

Rofl you loving idiot that's not how you negotiate.

Can't wait until you do that with your boat loan.

I've come across a lot of lawyers who negotiate that way. I change large portions of the contracts and give them long lists of things to fix.

The non-retarded way to negotiate is to write them a letter explaining that you think it's excessive and make an offer in the letter. Don't communicate like a lazy lawyer.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I vote for the Sinking Dutchman it's going to Davy Jone's Locker anyway. A storage unit is a good idea as you won't need to rescue your possessions when the boat sinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

$35k budget balloons to $35 trillion and it sinks on contact with water.

• Locked thread