Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I enjoy the highly reasonable assumption that is borne out by decades of data that a) there will not be any maintenance costs and b) in the extremely unlikely event that maintenance needs exist, the costs will be directly recoverable during a future sale of a now 40 year old house boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thanks. People said I was stupid and dumb and crazy when I moved to an off grid cabin in Alaska too. But it was some of the most fun I had in my life and a great experience. I think people greatly overestimate the risk of something like this and place to great an importance on their own comfort. It'll probably be cold as poo poo at times but I bet I still have fun and learn a lot.

my man if you want to live on a houseboat because it will be a great experience that is totally fine and cool and good and you should do it

just don't try to rationalize it as a fiscal decision because i can absofuckinglutely guarantee you that the black swan ultimate upside is break-even

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hahahaha what did that article exclude from their cost analysis

edit: those retards should never be allowed to analyze finance or use the word "economics" ever again

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 26, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

By this Sunday I will try and post a side by side breakdown of monthly expenses and projected boat expenses to try and get a better idea of the numbers. So far the boat costs keep going down so I think it'll look a lot better than people seem to think.

super stoked to not see a m&r line in the boat side expenses

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

quote:

just the vote we were looking for

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I swear I saw the phrase "rent to own houseboat" in here

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

so uh what are the terms for that sick nasty defined benefit pension

you may also want to check with some City of Detroit retirees about the certainty of defined benefit pensions

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

buy the houseboat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

Hmm, last I checked prosper was the princely sum of 5%? That is lower then any boat loan. They charge you extra for the loan to be secured by a boat because of the disposal costs.

a houseboat has negative value as collateral for a loan

splendid

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Chemlasers must be down to a reasonable price point these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dude its almost spring wheres the house boat

• Locked thread