Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The big downside I noticed about living on a floating home was being quite far from anything easily described as "cool" or "a job".

Oh, and it was pretty cold, even in San Francisco bay. I don't know what kind of people agree to live permanently on the water in Michigan, but I know I'm not that kind.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Again I wont know for sure until I can talk to more people, the marina, and a bank.

Seems like you opened the thread early, then? I don't know what you were basing your estimates on before, but you should find some actual listings for actual places and see what costs what. Anyplace with at least one floating-home-centric dock will have at least one realtor specializing in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Most floating homes are constructed and placed so that sinking isn't much of a risk. The one I lived in had a concrete hull and spent 90% of the day resting on the mud. It's like worrying your "mobile home" will be damaged in a traffic collision: not at all impossible, but less likely than you might think. Of course things do fall apart a little faster in a house on/in the water, but moderately maintained ones can be kept liveable for decades without major work.

Houseboats tend to be a slightly different story. They're more like an RV: more mobile in design, sharing parking and transit spaces with their less house-y cousins, more regular maintenance, even faster depreciation...

Theres also a fair number of people who live in plain-old-boats, but they're usually sailing the world or at least cruising the Bahamas. If you're the kind of person that appeals to, the work that a boat requires doesn't feel like work, and relegating yourself to a marginal existence doesn't feel like a step down. Also you are somewhere that requires almost zero climate-control.

If a mobile lifestyle appeals to you OP, I'd check out this guy's blog; it's not updated any more but it has a lot of advice.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

How about a tent, OP? There's a real craze for urban camping in my city these days. It's cheaper and more social than boat living, and depending on the weather, it may even be warmer.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If things dont work out I can still get an apartment somewhere else. It's not like I'm blacklisted from renting ever again just because some idiot building manager didnt read his own paperwork. What is the building going to say if they get a request as a renters reference? "Uh he paid his rent on time every time and didn't destroy the place and was quiet. Never rent to again."

If, just hypothetically, in this scenario, these people you described as being quote VERY angry unquote, instead said something unkind and recommended the asker not to rent you anything, what consequences do you imagine they would face?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I am so excited to see pictures of this boat, please take and post some.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Holy loving poo poo OP you are about to make the biggest mistake of your life.

Hmm, maybe. But how can we be sure before we see pictures? Maybe it's a diamond in the rough, just needing some hard work and tough love to make a lovely home.

You know, I think they could make a pretty great reality TV show about this kind of thing. OP, there are a lot of tiny house blogs who would love to host guest-posts from someone like you. It's a growing movement of people who eat these kinds of stories right up. Some people even support themselves fully with ads and affiliate links, and its only going to get more popular!

Be sure to take lots of "before" pictures of the boat, this is going to be a key part of your mythology.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

What do the girlfriend and her family think of these developments?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

It doesn't matter, see the OP

I meant about getting evicted.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

You are loving stupid with money.

Yeah, I'm really shocked. This is just so out of character for him.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Here's how he brought it up:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That said I think my money problems will be solved once my Left Shark super bowl bet pays off.

Sure, sure, he was kidding. He isn't really banking on that money, just having a reasonable bit of fun, and being tongue-in-cheek about it. Meanwhile, his serious plans include getting a fraudulent personal loan to buy a house boat on a river in Minnesota so he has somewhere to live when his self-inflicted eviction comes through.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Perhaps you could get some brave like-minded souls to lash their ship to yours, creating a flotilla of freedom outside the tired and simplistic laws of men.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Just move to a place where there's no winter and the houseboats are even cheaper. Like Vietnam.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I've mentioned in this thread that I've lived in a floating home before. Well, now I'm back in the same one for a brief time, and I'd just like to re-confirm that, even well into spring, even in the famously mild climate of the San Francisco Bay, it gets plenty chilly. Maybe I'm just gritless and soft-minded, but I cannot imagine life aboard anywhere that gets Actual Winter.

Oh, also maintenance and home association fees are murder, half the appliances instantly lose their warrantee and start failing in subtle but consequential ways when they're kept this close to this much salt water, and sometimes the septic pump can silently fail, requiring manual intervention which I'll spare you the details of. To minimize costs, you'd be better off trying to live in a van.

(please come back and try to live in a van OP)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Flexible, but expensive. How about a Duck Bus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_BbWXiddG4

• Locked thread