Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Well than I guess I should provide an "update". I haven't gotten anywhere with these drat bankers and insurers. At one point I thought I had a fixer upper steel hulled boat lined up. But I couldn't get insurance. AT ALL. I thought I had a chance getting insurance on it through my small business as a business policy but they turned it down after questioning me on my boating experience and skills, despite me telling them a million times that it would be just docked at the marina %90 of the time.
Have you considered asking these insurers and banks to give more details on why you get turned down/bad rates/etc for your dream boat? It's probably not because of an evil banking conspiracy that pushes cars and houses over boats. Insurance companies are pretty damned good at determining who's a good risk and who's a bad risk.

Also, here's some boating skills that might come in handy for a mostly-stationary boat:

-Knowing how to not die if the boat sinks, if you fall overboard, if poo poo catches on fire, etc. This includes helping other people on your boat avoid death.
-Basic boat maintenence & spotting common boat problems before they turn into big problems.
-Being able to handle your boat enough to safely dock it, undock it, and move it around for supplies/waste disposal.
-Knowledge of boating laws & regulations.

You may not agree with it, but there are reasons an insurer would want to see at least a little bit of boating experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Still keeps him warm. I'm not seeing a problem here.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I already have a side business that's an LLC. That business would own the boat and I'd get to rent it as an employee of said corporation.
This is definitely not a transparent scheme that insurance will see through if they have any reason to look closely at it. Nope. Not at all.

Do you really think you're the first person to pull something like this? If they get a whiff of your true situation, they're going to drop coverage like a hot potato. (Or force you onto the correct type of coverage if they offer it & are feeling merciful)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

While all of this is funny or whatever, how long were you on the month-to-month lease and how much extra was it per month? Anywhere I have ever lived, month-to-month leases are usually $200-300 per month extra.
But you see, it's completely unreasonable that apartment complexes charge more for the privilege of being able to leave with short notice(which means they may have to find a new tenant with short notice). Just like how it's unreasonable that banks would rather give a loan for a house than a floating deathtrap.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
GoFundMe your boat project. It's what all the cool kids are doing. You might get an entire ten bucks if you let your mom know about it!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Pick posted:

Also forge a document suggesting someone "sold" it to you. Then if you get caught, just pretend you were a rube who got duped by a con man and then you'll just have to give it back and probably not go to jail. Just play stupid--which should be pretty easy for you.
Nah, don't even need to go that far. You're assuming anyone would want a stolen houseboat back, instead of feeling overjoyed that someone took their floating pyre of dollar bills off their hands.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

It might be a better use of your time at the moment to look for apartments and not boats, seeing as you are getting kicked out of your place you knucklehead.
But apartments are so overpriced, and he just can't compromise on having a smaller living space/longer commute/roommates like us plebians do. (Or on going back in time and not getting a dog if he's going to be that picky about apartments :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"Run down" as in not having appliances/countertops/etc as shiny and new as you'd like, or "run down" as in they don't seem to maintain their poo poo? The first is ok, the second is a problem. Both are better than living on a boat.

• Locked thread