Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Also maintaining a boat is brutally expensive. Boats are such babies.

This is the honest truth right here.

I've seen this (the OP's) story played out several times over. It seldom ends well. Anyone I've met who decided to live on a boat year round underestimated the costs.

And don't be so sure of yourself re: flipping the boat when things go pear shaped. You're likely to be saddled with a big loving liability. The whole BC coast is littered with abandoned boats. I'm willing to bet a fair few of them were the result of people getting in way over their head, thinking they were in for cheap living, and not being able to pay for upkeep.

You mentioned being ok with car mechanics. How good are you with troubleshooting electrical problems?
Show me a boat without intermittent electrical issues and I'll show you a canoe.

But please do keep us updated.

As an aside: I find it strange that you'd have trouble getting a steel hull insured, considering steel is the #1 choice of material for ship construction. I've got no experience with insuring a boat because I know better than to buy a boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

bulkheads and deckheads ... the crawl space or bulkheads
It's probably good information, but difficult to accept from someone who puffs up their chest about their experience and qualifications, only to mix basic terminology. Or is this a case that since it's a houseboat, house specific and boat specific terms are interchangeable?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I have no clue.
I don't think you realise how true this is.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Some minor differences in risk when comparing insuring a house vs a houseboat with zero maintenance budget:
If a pipe breaks, or you get a small crack in the wall of your house, the house doesn't end up literally under water, with a drowned fool and his dog inside.
If a drunk guest exits your property in the wrong direction, oops, they're now trespassing in your neighbor's yard. If they do the same thing from your houseboat: oops, they're now drowning.

Also, you can pump water out of your basement worry free, should you find your basement flooding. Not exactly the same case with a boat

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

People are afraid to work on boats for some reason.

It's because boat parts, fixtures, coatings, etc are really expensive. Put the word "marine" on any widget, and you can triple the price. But, since you're dead set on budgeting zero for maintenance and repair, this won't be a concern until you spring a leak, decide to sell, and discover what a giant, un-offloadable liability you've got.

That's all right though. If it weren't for the woefully unprepared boaters, a lot of salvage and rescue people would be out of work.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

No see, this won't be a problem. Nothing on the OP's boat will ever need to be repaired or maintained, as evidenced by his outright refusal to consider the possibility.

FrozenVent posted:

You will not save money. Stop trying to wish it true.

Please do this before you buy the boat. Also sit down with your uncle and go over your budget. Why isn't your uncle living on his houseboat?

I think the time for honest advice from people who know what the gently caress they're talking about has passed.

• Locked thread