Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!
Are we talking about St. Paul or Lake Minnetonka or the St. Croix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This whole thing has really soured me on bankers though. If I just wanted to buy a stupid expensive car or speed boat I'd be speeding away in my overpriced vehicle already.

How hard do you think it is to repossess a houseboat? How hard is it to sell a houseboat after you repossessed it? I would guess that houseboat loans really are not any better than unsecured loans from the bank's perspective.

Also, did you ask any of the owners how long they have had their houseboats on the market?

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Maybe take some of that vacation money and use it to rent a houseboat to take down the Mississippi?

That way if it's something you don't want to do a second time you are not stuck with a houseboat and maybe someone will insure you once you are a large risk instead of a massive one.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

BaseballPCHiker posted:

BUT when I'm ready to move on I can turn around and sell the thing and make money on the back end of the deal.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm thinking that the used boat market is poor enough that I could work out a payment plan with an individual seller.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

I imagine it doesn't insulate that well in terms of keeping in heat, but I guess it at least helps block a lot of wind. Though I'm curious if one has to risk life and limb to try and shovel the snow off of them?

The trapped air does the insulating, not the plastic itself. It should be fine.

What may not be fine is trying to defraud an insurance company. BaseballPCHiker you are probably going to want to check with the marina and make sure they are okay with you having a commercial policy. Although to be honestly it wouldn't be a whole lot worse to just skip the middleman and make some fake insurance documents for the marina.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Uncle Enzo posted:

Why not just keep your eyes open for cheaper rent?

I want to point out to those of you that don't live in the area that he absolutely could find a dog friendly one bedroom in the same area for a couple hundred cheaper. To me that is the most bizarre thing about all this.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Sounds like that if you just refused to sign the lease you would still be living there until the end of March because of the need for two months notice. So really you paid 20 bucks for the privilege of not being able to rent somewhere else. Congratz?

e: How do you intend to explain this to your gf?

CellarDweller fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 26, 2016

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It will probably also need the roof to be re-waterproofed or whatever the hell one does to a houseboat roof. So it's mostly cosmetic/comfort issues which I can deal with.

A leaky roof is not a cosmetic/comfort issue.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Hoping he is desperate to sell and will be willing to work out a deal, which from my limited conversations it seems like he would.

Why is he desperate to sell? Why does the interior need to get reworked? Full of mold?

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm going to make some posts on some boat forums and put up some flyers and see if maybe someone would rent out there boat to me through the year, that would still save me some money and give me some good boat experience.

Do you expect this to cost less than renting an apartement and if so why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

I guess you werent alone.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/boa/5579070240.html

• Locked thread