Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'll admit, that boat looks pretty cool. Except it's Minnesota.

Does your dog get anxious easily? Because if she isn't crated and you're gone all day I can see that entire interior getting shredded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ah yes of course. I forgot that everyone turns their heater off at home whenever they leave the house. How foolish of me. Otherwise houses would be going up in flames left and right.

Houses going up in flames left and right is exactly what used to happen before the advent of central heating. Space heaters are absolutely the second biggest fire risk in homes. Only surpassed by 'room full of candles, old newspapers, and lots of cats'.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's already getting chilly in the South. What kind of window do you have to purchase and prepare this boat before it's too cold to easily winterize it? You can't do any work after you wrap it and you can't wrap a half gutted vessel.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

No. I have no idea what a state safety boater card is or why I need it. If it helps with the insurance issue than I am all for it. This whole boat debacle has really been bringing me down lately. It shouldnt be this hard to get a loan for a boat. If I wanted to buy a stupid impractical car I could be out scooting around already. The boats I'm looking at are cheaper than a lot of cars even. I have heard that there are some companies out there that do house boat type mortgages. Hopefully after the holidays I can get in touch with them. A 15 year loan on a houseboat would be dirt cheap. I'd be saving even more money then

I have a dog who I will train to knock intruders overboard into the icy river. Also they will have to break my plastic boat wrap barrier.

I think the problem is house boats are not cars. It's a different type of vehicle with different risks and a far smaller market - so most lenders don't even bother with them. The lenders that do make those loans know they're the only lenders that make those loans so they have more leverage in getting the terms they want.

It's probably more difficult getting a RV loan than a car loan as well.

And LOL the fact you were told you needed a state safety boater card and still have no idea what that is.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/boatwater/education.html

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Moneyball posted:

If the boat is a rockin', come on a knockin'

Don't forget your protection.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

antiga posted:

You should buy a sprinter van to live in and park it at the marina. This will actually save you money although you'll still be very cold.

That's why you wrap it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Alright time for a quick update on the whole apartment situation.

I bamboozled that sum bitch something good!!! Yeehaawww!!!! Funky Winkerbean more like Skunky Stinkerbean!!! Hahahahahaha I got em.

Whew I need to calm down a bit. I'm flying high right now. Basically HE DIDNT READ MY FORM and turned it in to the management company! Hahahaha I'm still getting a chuckle out of this. So they're going to honor the agreement! Even better there is a two month notice period that either party has to give to end the agreement, so the earliest they can give me the boot is the last day of March! The size of the vein on the dudes forehead was so big you could plucked it right off with some chop sticks. Hahahaha I hornswaggled the poo poo out of him. That said he made it very clear that he would make absolutely certain that I never sign a lease there again or with any other building managed by the company.

So all in all it was a much needed victory on the path to the boat life. Now i have some time to do my due diligence and get a seaworthy boat to call home.

Serious question, how much time do they have to give you to vacate and how long can you stretch it legally? I imagine they'd get you a 30 day notice, but I didn't know if they could forcibly evict you on day 31 or if a whole new time table started for that process.

As much as I don't want to see somebody die, I really want this story to continue. I guess I'll get over your eventual death at sea.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
How do they repo houseboats that aren't at dock?

Are there pirate repo men? If so, why haven't I seen a reality show on A&E or the History channel about them?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Hoping he is desperate to sell and will be willing to work out a deal..

This might be the happiest day in both his life and yours for opposite reasons.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 29, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Are you buying a boat on the same lake you're going to be living on? sharing a watery grave

If it's a different lake, what kind of transport costs are you looking at? Little boats aren't too tough to transport, but I didn't know if houseboats were more difficult and whether transport costs alone would eat up all your savings for multiple months.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

YarPirate posted:

From page 2:

Gonna have to have a good anchor in case the engine goes out while moving along the river, but it seems like a solid plan.

The Mississippi! In that case...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
"We can't tell what killed him first, the burns or the drowning."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If one team starts blowing out the other, the color commentators will kill time pointing out some spectator dressed as Left Shark and OP will yell "BOOYA!"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You're just trolling us at this point, right? Because you were making sense until that last sentence where you started predicting how much you'll save long term living on water.

Flea market bubblers. That sounds like another word for Truck Stop Lizards.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've seen tiny houses use a refillable water tank. Sewage could be a septic tank.

There are plenty of reasons not to like tiny homes. "OMG NO POWER NO WATER!!!" isn't one of them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Does she have tiny horses to match the tiny house? Like tiny enough that she carries them in her purse like a chihuahua?

Full size horses. They pull the tiny house from lot to lot.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If I got one for 35K I could get a hell of a boat and put in some major improvements...

Two words:

Groverhaus Boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I remain Houseboatless and sadly may forever remain that way as I'm close to having %20 ready for a down payment on a decent cheap house. However my basic point of it being a good cheap fun way of living remains:
http://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/02/14/winona-houseboat-culture-winter-living-challenges#gallery

Again, winter. And the irony of a blazing roman candle of a boat on a frozen lake.

Also, I saw a movie about a family on a houseboat once.

• Locked thread