Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I hate to be yet another pile-on, but this seems like a really terrible idea, OP. Please don't be the type that digs in your heels and wants to prove a bunch of internet posters wrong. There's no way you're going to come out ahead financially and I don't really see what's particular romantic about living on a rickety boat on a frozen river.

Pay your rent, invest the $8k and spend your time/effort on ways to improve your income rather than this nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'll be honest, I have no clue. I'd like to think I could get by with the onboard heat this winter. I know that I'll have to buy a couple of bubblers at around $300 a piece. I know that I'll have to get the boat shrink wrapped which is about $7-800. That should get me to this spring when I could really start renovating. I''ll need new marine grade flooring. I'd like to add in plenty of insulation and then I'll have to put up new walls. I have no idea what any of the materials for that will cost. I think I could do most of the work myself saving quite a bit on labor. Ballparking it, if I can get materials gently used or some scrap lets say $1000. But that could be on the low end.

Are you sure you're ever going to save money over just renting? I suppose if you actually stuck with this for multiple years the possibility exists, but your startup costs are looking to be pretty enormous, in both your time and $$$.

If you haven't already, try to be agnostic about the two choices and make a detailed, realistic cost comparison between the two. I know how I get when my heart is set on something and I tend to fudge the numbers to make things look more appealing than they really are, but this seems like an expensive endeavor.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Hoping he is desperate to sell and will be willing to work out a deal, which from my limited conversations it seems like he would

If this doesn't immediately make you run away I'm not sure what to tell you. It's like a little glimpse into your own future.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nitrox posted:

Your friend is either unemployed, independently wealthy, or took a decade to do it. Having helped some friends build homes from scratch, let me assure you that a home with modern amenities is still 6 figures, even if you consider own labor costs worthless.

Maybe you should google tiny house.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

That's a vacation cabin. Nobody is living there full time.

It's not really my thing (and obviously not yours) but hey, if you want to reduce your footprint (literally and figuratively), why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
We get it, you need your McMansion. That's fine.

• Locked thread