Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
BFC is full of fun hating wet blankets and yet we wonder why we rarely get good threads.

OP: You are awesome. The haters are just jealous. Rock on. Don't use your Roth as an emergency fund though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
OP: do you have a state issued boater safety card yet?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

MrKatharsis posted:

OP: do you have a state issued boater safety card yet?

Still waiting for an answer. It may hold the key to some of your insurance woes.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Ha, I didn't know it was a youth thing in Minnesota. In Washington state it's for anyone operating a boat over a certain horsepower. It's good knowledge to have. Right of way, fire safety equipment, required lights, all that stuff. There's more required equipment than you would expect.

I often dream about live aboard life but the larger floating homes in Seattle are as expensive as regular houses and the wife and cats would mutiny on a sailboat.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I would be shocked if there were a Beneteau of that size anywhere in Minnesota. OP needs a proper powerboat to get up and down the Mississippi.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The OP could dig a sweet little hobbit cave complex down there if he had enough shovels.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

BaseballPCHiker posted:

One positive development happened recently. My uncle has a large houseboat (two stories) and speed boat on a lake in a bordering state. This spring he has insisted that I spend a week out with him learning some basics. Hopefully I will have my boat by then already but he will be able to teach me enough to get by in time for summer when I will want to take some river excursions.

BFC just looooooooooooooooooves to crap on people and totally ignore decent updates like this. OP try to get your uncle to talk money so you have a realistic view of what you're in for. If he is comfortable with the topic, you'll learn more than a million forums posts.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
That is actually a totally normal thing for landlords to do.

Enjoy the rest of the winter.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Everything is good on that front. I showed her some houseboats and she is starting to come around to the idea. She'll be done with her masters in December and wants to move out of state so long term we may be looking for a houseboat somewhere on the West coast.

Houseboating is pretty big in Seattle and a lot of goony loving weridos are getting hired here.

Edit: drool http://cooperjacobs.com/index.cfm?CFID=4167c05e-5671-44a1-8816-6a2b066c82b3&CFTOKEN=0&fuseaction=listing-home&startrow=9

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 30, 2016

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Just move to Seattle like every other drat goon.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Don't you work in IT? Browse around glassdoor.com for a while and then tell us why living in Minnesota is the only path to riches.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Anything over $130k is expensive.

The question was about houses, not boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
OP has previously stated that he is unwilling to move anywhere that will pay him more or cost less to live.

edit: enjoy the next 30 years in Fargo, OP.

• Locked thread